Rob_grill_apprentice

First Turkey on Vision

I did my first turkey in the Vision Classic Kamodo.

Turkey was ~12 lbs. Used the Urban Accent Gobbler Kit. WIth the brine part of the kit I used vegetable stock and then brined the turkey for 24 hours. I then dried the turkey followed by 4 hours of air dry in the refrigerator. Then I applied olive oil and coat with the seasoning pack from the kit. I inserted the cone stand into the turkey. Returned to refrigerator with turkey standing vertically. Fired up the vision classic after loading with lump charcoal. I put the lava stone diffuser in and set party Q to 325 degree F. Once grill stabilized at 325 I stuffed quarter sections of apple and onion into the cone inside turkey. I then placed a smoke jar with (oak wood, oregano, rosemary and thyme pellets --Savory Herb underneath the lava stone directly on the charcoal. Then I placed the vertical standing turkey on the grill rack but I couldn't close the the lid as the turkey was touching the top underneath portion. I removed the grill rack and placed drip pan and upright turkey directly on the lava stone diffuser. After I did this, the lid closed with the turkey no longer touching the top. I then grilled at 325-250 for 3 hours and then once breast was at 165F and thigh at 195F the turkey was removed from the grill and allowed to cool 30 minutes under foil. This was the must juicy turkey I have ever cooked. No basting,only time grill was opened was at the end of 3 hours to confirm meat temperature. The next time when I try a turkey I will increase temperature towards the end to get the skin crispy. I am impressed that I could cook a very juicy turkey. I have attached a photo of finish product. The skin was soft on this Turkey but the colour was very nice :) .

post-829-13756507964722_thumb.jpg

Not sure why the photo looks upside in iPhoto but in WIndow's picture viewer it looks upside down.

Only bad part of the turkey was I didn't realize some Filipino's do not like Turkey. Now I have so much left over meat from the 12lb bird. I will be freezing some and then making some pot pie. Next time I am expecting Filipinos guests for a function I will grill chicken beer can style. ;)

That bird looks great! I too did my first turkey on my Vision Pro. Turned out great, and everyone raved. I had purchased a vertical stand to do ours in that manner, as my wife said she got a 'small turkey' for our little dinner for four. Well, dug it out of the fridge the morning of, and her "small turkey" was 18lb...had to do it sitting in it's normal position on the top rack, with the gravy pan sitting on the middle rack, and of course the diffuser on the lower one...used the everthing-you-ever-wanted-to-know article on the amazingribs website for lots of great advice and recipies. The one bad mistake I made is not taking to heart, his warning on not using much smoke chips...I oversmoked it. Turkey apparently absorbs a lot of smoke! In our opinion, white turkey meat with 1/4" smoke rings, is over-smoked... Other than that, it was absolutely juicy and wonderful. With only 4 of us, there was more turkey left than we ate!! Sandwiches are great...but some has gone into the freezer too. Lesson learned - take it easy on the smoke!!

What's the fun of cooking turkey if there are no left overs? It is entirely possible you used too strong a wood, too much wood, and / or smoked the turkey too long. So no one else makes the same mistake(s) what type wood did you use? How much wood? And how long did it smoke. Fowl absorbs smoke like a sponge anyway.

I have plans to smoke a turkey for thanksgiving but I'm thinking about cooking a few turkey legs before then for practice.

... I really can't stand the flavor when the juices drip onto the heat diffuser and then create smoke. To me, that makes poultry taste worse than using lighter fluid. Therefore I always use a drip pan with some water in there so the dripping don't create smoke.

I agree with you there 100%. I am starting to use a drip pan w/water or apple juice no matter what I cook when i am not grilling. Not really as much for moisture but to catch and keep the dripping from burning. That burnt taste permeates everything especially poultry.

I used good old Apple wood, but had been using small chips (had a bag of them I'd been using for a while) prior to last weekend. In my exhuberance for doing my first turkey, I bought a bag of larger pieces, and used a couple of pieces maybe the size of a 2 to 2 1/2 inch cube. So they smoked pretty much the entire cook... OK, I ADMIT DEFEAT! But I learned a very valuable lesson. As for the drippings, I had a pan with some apple juice, onion chunks, orange peel, garlic cloves under it to catch the juices and make gravy with later...so there was definitely no flareups from that. I'd suggest you take a look at the amazingribs site and find the smoked turkey page...it's fascinating with the overabundance of information they give there...(he does make a comment that for many, the slight smoke from lump charcoal is enough - should have listened)

Anyway, no smoke wood for me next time I do a turkey...don't want any 'fowl' flavour! haha...

Ditto on my plans for smoking a bird for Thanksgiving. Is it really important to use a vertical stand? I have being researching this subject and opinions vary as to whether or not you need to use one. I guess I looking to see if anyone here has tried it both ways and there experiences with both.

I don't know if is important to use the vertical stand. One of the supposed reasons is it separated the legs from the body allowing them to roast at the same time as the rest of the bird. I used a approximate 12pound bird and it just fit in my Vision with the stand directly on the vision lava stone diffuser. If I had done I larger bird I might have had to use roast rack but since I buy smaller turkeys I don't know. WIth how juicy my first turkey was and the colouring I will continue to use vertical stand for turkeys. Before Christmas I will be buying some vertical stands for chicken. I can't wait to try vertical cooking with chickens. I picked up two different rubs to experiment with. One package of Ginger Teriyaki char crust and one package Hickory & molasses char crust. Not sure which wood smoke I will use yet but I am leaning towards Alder or Apple.

Thanks Rob. I am planning on smoking a 14 to 16 lb bird and think I am going to smoke breast up. I will brining and may use the Alton Brown recipe. I almost purchased a chicken stand the other day. I have already smoked a chicken, pork loin roast, and baby back ribs in my Vision Pro. All of them turned excellent so I am becoming much more confident with it. You definitively have to pay attention to how much charcoal outright and closing down the temp when it is within 50 degrees of your target. As far as rubs go I have a couple of personal concoctions that I really like, teriyaki sounds like a great option though. When it comes to the wood I prefer the apple myself. I have a ton of pecan, literally as one of my 80ft pecan trees recently fell and I have cut some up and am drying it out for later use. Pecan is good wood for smoking poultry and pork. Everything I have read about alder is that it is best for fish.