Kurt

Had my first fire and cook, now a few questions!

Well, finally had some time today, and I got the Classic B fired up for the first time!  Quite an exciting day!  But it brought about a few questions.

1. What is the preferred way of loading up the firebox with lump, and how much lump to put in there?
  2. Do I start just one spot for low and slow, and multiple spots for grilling/searing?
  3. Do I let it burn for a little while before I lower the lid?
  4. I started it at a low temp, held at 225, then held at 250, then tried moving it up later on for dinner, after it had been burning for about 2 hours. I got it to 375 where I wanted it, but by the time food was coming off 45 minutes later, I was down closer to 325.  Maybe I was too low on charcoal?  That was with it wide open too at the bottom.  I guess my question is, if I start it for low and slow, am I not able to then adjust and get it to really hot temps later on?
  5. How long do you guys wait to put the cover back on? 

I'm sure there's more questions coming, but this is what I can think of for now.  Thanks everyone!  Love having a good community where I can learn from others' experiences.

Sounds like something I can do. Do they have the best demonstrational videos? I know I didn't see a lot of great videos on the vision specifically.

Sounds like something I can do. Do they have the best demonstrational videos? I know I didn't see a lot of great videos on the vision specifically.

John Setzler, the guy who owns/admins this site does most of the videos. Everything you need to know from basic setup, to more advanced cooks.all top notch work.

Well, finally had some time today, and I got the Classic B fired up for the first time!  Quite an exciting day!  But it brought about a few questions.

1. What is the preferred way of loading up the firebox with lump, and how much lump to put in there?
  2. Do I start just one spot for low and slow, and multiple spots for grilling/searing?
  4. I started it at a low temp, held at 225, then held at 250, then tried moving it up later on for dinner, after it had been burning for about 2 hours. I got it to 375 where I wanted it, but by the time food was coming off 45 minutes later, I was down closer to 325.  Maybe I was too low on charcoal?  That was with it wide open too at the bottom.  I guess my question is, if I start it for low and slow, am I not able to then adjust and get it to really hot temps later on?

I'm sure there's more questions coming, but this is what I can think of for now.  Thanks everyone!  Love having a good community where I can learn from others' experiences.

1. Put plenty in there, fill it up!

2. yes

3. yes, until the starter goes out or about 10 min

4. You can, fill it up before you start it.  No need to guess how much you need, fill it, use it, snuff it, use it again later.

5. 12-24 hours - be safe and sure.

• What is the preferred way of loading up the firebox with lump, and how much lump to put in there?
  • Do I start just one spot for low and slow, and multiple spots for grilling/searing?
  • Do I let it burn for a little while before I lower the lid?
  • I started it at a low temp, held at 225, then held at 250, then tried moving it up later on for dinner, after it had been burning for about 2 hours. I got it to 375 where I wanted it, but by the time food was coming off 45 minutes later, I was down closer to 325.  Maybe I was too low on charcoal?  That was with it wide open too at the bottom.  I guess my question is, if I start it for low and slow, am I not able to then adjust and get it to really hot temps later on?
  • How long do you guys wait to put the cover back on? 

Sounds like you did alright for a first cook. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I agree with Mewantkj, check out John's videos. He uses a Kamado Joe in the, but the theories are generic and cover all kamados.

For your questions

- fill the fire bowl. It might seem wasteful at first, but you really won't waste much. When you shut down the vents, it will snuff the fire and the lump stops burning. You can use what is left for your next cook, just top it off with some fresh stuff.

- one spot for low/slow, multiple for high heat

- yes, light the spot(s) and leave the lid open for about 10 min. John's videos will show this

- you could have been low on lump. See how much is left when it cools down. If you fill the box, you should have plenty of lump to start a low cook, then ramp up to sear. Search these forums for 'reverse sear' for some examples

- just let it cool. It takes a few hours. I rarely am able to put the cover back on that same night. I usually clean tout he ash the next day and put the cover back on if it's dry.

Hope this helps some. Keep practicing, keep asking questions, and check out the videos.

Well, finally had some time today, and I got the Classic B fired up for the first time! Quite an exciting day! But it brought about a few questions.

• What is the preferred way of loading up the firebox with lump, and how much lump to put in there?
  • Do I start just one spot for low and slow, and multiple spots for grilling/searing?
  • Do I let it burn for a little while before I lower the lid?
  • I started it at a low temp, held at 225, then held at 250, then tried moving it up later on for dinner, after it had been burning for about 2 hours. I got it to 375 where I wanted it, but by the time food was coming off 45 minutes later, I was down closer to 325. Maybe I was too low on charcoal? That was with it wide open too at the bottom. I guess my question is, if I start it for low and slow, am I not able to then adjust and get it to really hot temps later on?
  • How long do you guys wait to put the cover back on?
I'm sure there's more questions coming, but this is what I can think of for now. Thanks everyone! Love having a good community where I can learn from others' experiences.
1. Put plenty in there, fill it up!

2. yes

3. yes, until the starter goes out or about 10 min

4. You can, fill it up before you start it. No need to guess how much you need, fill it, use it, snuff it, use it again later.

5. 12-24 hours - be safe and sure.

One would say thats a rather "definitive" approach LOL!!!!

Ray

1. I load my vison about an inch higher than the vent holes in the firebox, with a level distribution. Using this method I've had to add charcoal only one time after 10 hours, and I suspect this was because I had a large number of small pieces.

2. I use an electric starter, so I light just one spot, most of the time in the middle. However, if I'm using my split diverter, then I light the side that will be used for the direct cook.

3. I close my lid after 8 minutes, which is when I remove the electric starter. By then the charcoal is well ignited, with a solid 2-3" flame.

4. It could be you didn't have enough charcoal. I have found that sometimes in a cook I need to open the vents wider to sustain a particular temperature as time passes; other times I need to close the vents somewhat.

5. 8 minutes.

Thanks to everyone already! For a first cook I think it went okay, but now I'm sure the second will be more of a success. I'll be heading to YouTube to check out those videos too.

1. I too fill mine to slightly above the air holes this will give more then 3 hrs at 350 and more than 6 for low

2. I also use the electric starter for 8-10 min only stir slightly with the igniter to spread out, and actually I do both the same exact way.

3. The only burn time I give is the 8-10 min as soon as I plug it in ,so no extra burn time. 

4. I can tell you how to set your vents ,but sometimes it may take the fun out of it. Right now I would try for medium range and if you look at your gauge it does say grill ,so you can do just about anything. Here is what I would do start your grill how ever you like then set the top vent at 1 and the bottom at 3  and walk away for 1 hour then come back and you should be  well stabilized ,and now this will give you some idea on a temp setting. Remember once stabilized it is very hard to go back down .

5 It can take about 1 hour per 100 degrees to drop even in the dead of winter. Try to cover the gauge ,I use a cat food can squeezed slightly then plastic bag on handle and remove tables . if you can't cover.    

Thanks again for all the info everyone!

I'm thinking of getting a torch lighter from harbor freight on the way home today before doing some steaks and burgers.  Any tips on how long to hold the torch to the charcoal?  Also, when using this method, do I still leave the lid open for 8 or 10 minutes?

Kurt if you are talking about a torch ,that would be used for plumbing , I myself use mine with a charcoal chimney ,I fill it half full of charcoal and light it threw the holes in several spots. I let that burn 8-10 min. then dump.  Kurt I use electric in the summer and charcoal chimney in the winter.