Sign in to follow this  
elbatiger

3rd time not quite the charm

Alabama won good game, good friends and good food doesn't get much better. Still learning, Chops were good little over done, I think I'm trying to hard for the grill marks and grill cooks faster than I am use to. It will come in time. Coals don't burn all the way out to the edge, leaves a ring on the outside all the way around. I lit my fire in two places 12 an 6 every thing wide open when coal had caught good closed lid vent wide open, when temp reached 225-250 I started closing things down settled at 350 - 400 started cooking when finished closed everything down. Started with full bowl of charcoal. Any advice?

post-10210-0-22378100-1446997967_thumb.j

Here is what I do I stir my fire to help with the even cook ,but what I do that is different is I cook on the upper deck ,you will still get your grill marks at the 350 range,but now its more like an oven ,so more juicy chops . I do chicken this way all the time.  

Patience my friend... Soon you will be bored by nailing perfect chops, in a near auto pilot state.

I am a top grate cooker & a set of grill grates would look great under your christmas tree..

For a direct cook I light 4-5 spots in order to get an even bed of coals.  Waiting longer will also work it just depends on time available.  More spots for less time available. 

Buy a Weed Torch and light the coals everywhere, throw on some Peach wood for smoke.

Open bottom vent wide but top vent just cracked about an 1/8th inch, or about 75% of the way to the 1 on top vent.

In about 20 minutes it should be around 200 with nice blue smoke.

Put the chops on and slow smoke them until done, pull them off wrap in foil, open top vent all the way can use a hair dryer, canned air, little fan whatever you got in the bottom vent for about a minute in 3 to 4 minutes it should be blazing put chops back on for about 30 to 60 seconds per side.

Red Neck Sue Veed

Grill grates even out the temperatures across the cooking surface.  They work well.

Like Poolguyinct wrote: "...a set of grill grates would look great under your christmas tree..."

Check 'em out.

Thanks guys, will try your suggestions on my next cook. Grates and maverick 735 are on my wish list. What is a CGS and where is the best place to order the grates and maverick from?

Thanks guys, will try your suggestions on my next cook. Grates and maverick 735 are on my wish list. What is a CGS and where is the best place to order the grates and maverick from?

I'm pretty sure when someone said CGS they were refering to www.ceramicgrillstore.com

Grill Grates:

http://grillgrate.com/

FWIW, I keep a dedicated grill probe (ThermoWorks Dot with an accessory grill probe) on the grates to have a proper reading of the surface temp.  They are hotter than what the dome thermometer reads.