Thanksgiving Pie warm-up, Apple and a Blueberry

Part of getting ramped up for Thanksgiving means time to try out some different ideas and recipes before the big day. 

I ran across a simple pie crust recipe which seemed worth trying.

--Recipe--

2 cups sifted flour (bread flour, which was finer and higher in gluten was used).

1 teaspoon of salt (Kosher salt was used)

The recipe called for 5 to 7 tablespoons of water, due to my flour choice, 8 tablespoons was used instead

2/3 cup Crisco or Butter (Crisco butter-flavored sticks were used, it provided the butter undertones, but the classical lard-crust texture).

The fillings on the first pie was apple and the second pie was blueberry.

The apple pie filling had cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice added.

The blueberry pie filling was essentially stock.

Both of the pies had a standard egg-wash applied (one egg and one tablespoon of water whisked, then brushed on).

The apple pie had some cinnamon tossed across the crust in a couple of strips, as well as sugar sprinkled all over the top.

Both pies were made in cast iron, with the top of the crust below the top of the cast iron, this prevents the edge of the crust from burning without adding foil.

They were cooked on the #KamadoJoe Big Joe, with the diffusers raised to the X-Rack at 350 degrees F. 

Coconut (Coshell) charcoal was used to provide the smokeless heat.  A burn-off had been done to get the last of the oils from previous cooks baked out of the Big Joe.

Pies were pulled when the crust had turned golden and the filling was bubbling.

Pictures below:

post-6716-0-78351200-1447023547_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-75103200-1447023548_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-39159000-1447023549_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-95456300-1447023549_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-52754800-1447023550_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-05821600-1447023551_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-21422500-1447023552_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-72236200-1447023552_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-34478100-1447023553_thumb.jp

post-6716-0-36320100-1447023554_thumb.jp

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By itskrod00
      Want to purchase one of these accessories.  My question is can the soap stone do everything the cast iron can do plus more?

I imagine the soapstone wouldnt get as hot as the cast iron?
      I imagine the cast iron cooking, more food would possibly stick and more maintenance

or

are they too very different tools for different type cooks/food.
    • By DerHusker
      We spent Thanksgiving with good friends and neighbors and their family. We were tasked with providing the dressing and a pecan pie. The pie we bought from Costco but for the dressing I made my favorite Cranberry, Apple and Walnut dressing.
      (Recipe can be found here:
      Here are most of the ingredients.

Melted the butter and sautéed the onions and celery.

Combined the cranberries, apple and walnuts.

After the butter, onions, celery, apple cider and chicken stock had simmered 10 minutes I stirred it into the dry dressing and spread it out into the baking/serving dish.

I covered this with AF and cooked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and then uncovered it. I cooked for another 25 minutes at 350 and this is the results.

Here are some pics of the rest of the dinner entrée’s that we enjoyed.
      Mashed potatoes.

Miscellaneous sides.

White meat plate.

Dark meat plate.

My plate.

We had a great time of food and fellowship. Hope you all had a great day as well.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By Churchill Fan
      For those of you using the cast iron or soapstone cooking surface on your KJ, do you use a half-moon or full-moon? That is to say, to you make a complete flat top or just a half? 

Just curious as to what the prevailing custom is. Thanks!

• By DiannaDZ
      Just purchased a 12 inch Lodge cast iron skillet at Home Depot for $19.99.  Pretty good price, 2 Handle so it should fit in most kamado type grills.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lodge-Cast-Iron-Frying-Pan-L10SKL/302283848

• By DerHusker
      The Guru Moderators Challenged me to create a “Weave Your Way Through May”. I thought long and hard at what I could create.

Create something delicious by weaving ingredients together? At first, I thought

I kept thinking and then came to the “point” where an idea “stuck” with me.

If I had the correct ingredients

then

I studied up on my past cooks and if you will

I’ll provide you with a little educational reading and show you

I assembled most of my ingredients

Greased up my CI pie pan with some Crisco.

Did my crust weave in it

but it looked a bit

(Not my best work. I should’ve done this on the glass pie dish like last time but since the crust won’t show this was no biggy)
      Now I placed the glass dish in the CI dish to try to control shrinkage and keep its shape.

Now place it upside down on the kamado to let the bacon grease drain. I let it cook this way for 30 minutes.

While that was cooking I whipped up the egg, milk, sour cream and Bisquick

Once the bacon crust was cooled I placed in a layer of thinly sliced potato.

Now some slivered onion

and then the Hatch Chiles.

Now I added half the egg mixture and 1 cup of cheese.

I repeated this process and placed it on the kamado for 50 minutes at 300 degrees.

Here it is after 50 minutes.

I thought we could clink our glasses in a toast but alas it still wasn’t alive like I wanted

so I threw a little temper tantrum.

It needed one last ingredient

So I added a bacon weave on top of mostly already cooked bacon and cooked it an extra 10 minutes. (Didn’t want to deal with the shrinkage or the extra grease)

and in a last desperate attempt, I yelled out

Here it is after the additional 10 minutes.

IT’S ALIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!

Close-up with flash.

Without flash.

Today I cut a slice and heated it up for breakfast.

It was so delicious it had me dancing!

THE END!