Dreaming about Halfmoon Soap Stone

Charcoal Addict

Maybe it's a need to fill the void while I wait for the Big Joe Jotisserie. Hint, Hint! The second I heard Bobby mention halfmoon Canadian Soap stone griddle, visions of blacken shrimp, home made breakfast sandwiches, braised chicken wings and crispy cajun riblets stating dancing around in my head.

Who else is excited about the new upcoming Canadian Soap Stone griddle?

KJ users should be more pumped about the soap stone griddle. Cast iron taps out at 600- 650 F. You'll start to burn off your seasoning once you go past 700F.

Soap stone can take temps of 1200F without batting an eye. It's non-porous and non-stick. You don't have to be afraid to create your "Ruth Chris" masterpiece at 1000F with 60 second sear with soap stone. Soap stone can do what Grill Grates and CI can only dream of...soap stone can go thermal nuclear without batting an eye lash.

This is certainly interesting... I tend to avoid CI just out of fear of maintenance... I could see this being a lot better.

I have the CI griddle for the bigjoe. Very easy to care for. I use some oil before I cook. Scrape it clean when done...

The sear I can put on a burger with CI is well worth it!

This is certainly interesting... I tend to avoid CI just out of fear of maintenance... I could see this being a lot better.

I have the CI griddle for the bigjoe. Very easy to care for. I use some oil before I cook. Scrape it clean when done...

Last night I fried up some wings on the CI griddle. It has been one of my go to forms of cooking for all sorts of stuff (shrimp. fish, burgers, steaks). It cleans up easier than the stainless steel grate. I'll post the pics in the Kamado cooking section.

I have serious doubts about the durability of soapstone with high temps involved.

Baking temps, maybe OK.

I'd stick with Proven CI or  Heavy Duty "baking" steely.  You want to take something up that high a temp, best get a kiln shelf or a high quality pizza "stone", the which is a manufactured product not a true stone at all.

Guys, CI and Soap Stone share simlar traits, Soap stone heats more uniformly than CI and it doesn't require seasoning and can handle temps up to 1200F.

Soap stone is non-pourus and will not absorb any of the salts.

You can use a soap stone to duplicate Himalayan Pink salt block cooking. You heat-up a soap stone to 300F - 400 F and you can apply a thin dusting of pink salt to the soap stone to duplicate the effect of Salt Block cooking without the price of an easily crackable pink salt block.

I would never do this on a CI griddle. Moisture, pink salt, high temps, and CI are not a good mix. Do some research on Soap block cooking and baking. Rather than seeing Soap stone as competing or replacing the CI, it's really another tool at your disposal to create some unique cuisine that may not be possible on seasoned CI.

Soap stone has hundreds of years of industrial applications and uses that prove it can take the heat.