Jack.

Chicken on PBC's New Turkey/Chicken Hanger

Pit Barrel Cooker just released a new hanging system for whole turkey/whole chicken.

I bought one set (2 hangers) and put it to work on a 5.3 # organic chicken from a Costco 2 pack.

The whole chicken rubbed with Goya Sazon Azafran, Penzey's Northwoods seasoning, garlic powder, and Penzey's California Pepper blend.

The chicken mounted on the 2 piece hanger and cooked in the PBC over plain old Kingsford blue bag to IT of 165*.

Tender, very juicy, and because of the new hanger, able to be presented whole for carving.

I'm doing one of 2 Thanksgiving turkeys this way. I'm very pleased with the result and ease of use.

Thanks for Looking and Happy Cooking.

09deac99739973b76421e6440ed026eb.jpg635f2e733e00c052e49c7a7afb5f02b2.jpg7a22504d6e537e40ae9f6d75719d2112.jpg1df734efbe453081dc976dc47660a5a6.jpgf9223677428861aeceae17a14b369c89.jpg37e6445943abc8b5b61d1cdf89cc4d9a.jpgf887ca21be5ba9e27cef715305108e78.jpg5b5d76851eac343968719ca5994da148.jpg293933e2f55375ad835a54ac907b44e8.jpgae16818396ad95d6f0ea5fa18fa3587d.jpg

That's some serious good looking chicken!! I've never used a pit barrel, but looking on other sites they seem pretty nice.

Thank you, Edsland.  I like the food my PBC produces.  It's not a substitute for a kamado in the versatility/temperature control areas, but produces some delicious foods with zero effort. 

Again... you got me crying again!!! Great color on that chook, and I like that hanger!!!

Thank you, wickedcajun.  Goya Sazon Azafran combined with Penzey's Northwoods rub create beautiful color.  I think I'm really going to like the turkery/chicken hanger.  Using a set of 2, which is how PBC provides them, I can hang 2 15# turkeys in the PBC.  

The color on that bird looks amazing! Ive been eye balling those hangers so I can try my first duck on the pbc. Looking forward to your turkey cook on the pbc.

Thank you, Jose.  The hangers are a quality product, well built from heavy gauge steel.  2 to an order. 

I can't wait to see your PBC hung duck.  That sounds spectacular.  

Nice addition to your PBC and beautiful cook, jackjumper. I'm wondering if the PBC folks recommend hanging the bird breast-side down?

Since dark meat is supposed to cook to a slightly higher temp than breast meat, it makes more sense to me to hang the butt end down so it's closer to the coals. But quite often I don't have a lot of sense.

Sold my PBC last year... there are times I really miss it... like right NOW!!!!  That turkey looks unreal :-)

Thanks, Robb.  I'm having fun with my PBC, kind of rediscovering what a nice cooker it is for certain things.

Nice addition to your PBC and beautiful cook, jackjumper. I'm wondering if the PBC folks recommend hanging the bird breast-side down?

Since dark meat is supposed to cook to a slightly higher temp than breast meat, it makes more sense to me to hang the butt end down so it's closer to the coals. But quite often I don't have a lot of sense.

Thank you, rhwhinton.  My first inclination was to hang the bird the way you describe, but I went back and rewatched the video, and they recommend breast side down.  Then I remembered that the top of the cooker, closest to the lid s the hottest spot--counterintuitive, I know, but much like a conventional kitchen with the top being hottest because it is radiating the heat downward.

Very kind of you to say, Bill.  :) I try to be proficient on many types of cookers, and the PBC is one of my favorites.  Even my wife, who does not like "smoky tasting" poultry, likes chicken cooked on the PBC.  She even authorized one of the Thanksgiving turkeys to be cooked this way using the hanger.