Sign in to follow this  
divot1973

Umai Dry Bags

So far all I've seen at my Candian Costco is prime rib and whole beef tenderloin, which, from what I'm reading, are not the best cuts to use.

This may be a dumb question, but I legitimately want to know. One of the primary results of aging is texture, correct? (The other result would be flavor). So after it is aged, it is typically much more than you would plan on consuming for a one time meal, and it seems like most people vacuum seal and then freeze the meat. Doesn't freezing the meat result in worse texture? I interested but the fact that I would be freezing so much meat and compromising all that work bothers me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, K-ville said:

So far all I've seen at my Candian Costco is prime rib and whole beef tenderloin, which, from what I'm reading, are not the best cuts to use.

Definitely do not want to use beef tenderloin. 

Prime Rib is basically a ribeye roast usually with the ribs cut off and tied back on. Prime Rib does not necessarily mean it's prime grade beef. Ask the meat manager. They should have full primal ribeyes with bones attached (choice grade in the states) still in the cryopac back in the meat locker. A lot of stores won't put those in the meat case except around the holidays. In the states they are typically 18-24 lbs about 20" in length. If I can choice grade at $6.99 per lb not doing too bad. After trimming them up you can expect about 12 steaks @ 1.5" thick and final price per steak in the $12 per steak range. You'll also get some scaps which make great steak and cheese sandwiches. 

Hope all that helps a little. 

4 hours ago, shuley said:

This may be a dumb question, but I legitimately want to know. One of the primary results of aging is texture, correct? (The other result would be flavor). So after it is aged, it is typically much more than you would plan on consuming for a one time meal, and it seems like most people vacuum seal and then freeze the meat. Doesn't freezing the meat result in worse texture? I interested but the fact that I would be freezing so much meat and compromising all that work bothers me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For typical yield see my post above. As for freezing - if they are properly vacuum sealed that won't change the texture much. I usually vacuum seal 2 or 3 steaks per bag for easy portioning.  

I buy a lot of beef or pork in much bigger pieces than I want to cook in one setting. Portion it out, seal and freeze. Definitely cheaper than buying individual cuts. 

For typical yield see my post above. As for freezing - if they are properly vacuum sealed that won't change the texture much. I usually vacuum seal 2 or 3 steaks per bag for easy portioning.  

I buy a lot of beef or pork in much bigger pieces than I want to cook in one setting. Portion it out, seal and freeze. Definitely cheaper than buying individual cuts. 

I agree, it would be much more reasonable this way. I think one of these weeks I need to do an experiment with non aged steaks to see if I can discern the difference between a steak that has been frozen or not.... maybe my fears are unfounded