BigKev

Deviled Potato Salad

This is a recipe I came up with and have been making for years. Everytime there is a pot-luck or we have a BBQ, people request that I make it. It pretty much can be a meal unto itself. This is totally NOT for the diet conscious and I am pretty sure I am on the AMA hit list for this.

Now I really don't measure things out exactly, so this is really how I make it every time:

5 lbs of russet potatoes. 

1 dozen eggs

1 lb of bacon (any kind really, but stay away from the maple or overly fruit smoked ones)

1 bunch of green onions

1 regular sized jar of Best Foods mayo (you can also use Hellmans or Kraft if your store doesn't stock Best Foods, just don't use Lite Mayo)

Yellow Mustard

Hungarian Paprika (or any good quality Paprika)

Salt

Pepper

1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-2" pieces. And boil in salted water until just tender, but not mushy. You want them softer than most potato salads, but not mashed potato soft.
  2. Drain, rinse with cold water and allow to cool in a colander.
  3. Cool eggs until hard boiled. Allow to cool and peel.
  4. Cook bacon in a skillet. You want it thoroughly cooked, but not brittle. MAKE SURE TO RETAIN ALL THE BACON GREASE! :)
  5. Add potatoes to very large bowl.
  6. Trim the roots end off of the green onions and about 2" of the green tops, discard. Dice the remainder very fine. You want both the green and white parts. Add to bowl
  7. Cut each egg in half longways, and then slice each half into pieces. Add to bowl (yolks and whites)
  8. Chop up bacon coarsely. You want some nice pieces 1/4-1/2" pieces in there. Add to bowl.
  9. Add 1/2 of the retained bacon grease to bowl. (yes, you read that correctly)
  10. Add a couple squirts of yellow mustard (~ 1 tablespoon or so). It will give some flavor, but not be detectable to the folks that dislike mustard.
  11. Add about 2 tablespoons of Hungarian Paprika. Sometime I add more. Enough that the color of mixture turns from the normal white to yellowish/orange tint.
  12. Salt and Pepper to taste. Approx 1 tablespoon of each, but taste and add as needed.
  13. Approx 3/4th jar of mayo.
  14. Fold the mixture until it is well blended. You want to mix it good, but not turn it into mashed potatoes. This will be less chunky than regular store bought potato salad. Add more mayo if needed.
  15. Check the flavor, if needed, add more of the bacon grease and salt and pepper as needed.
  16. Refrigerate until cold, and to let all the flavors bind. 4-5 hours.

Now some tips. I like to toss the jar of mayo in the fridge overnight before I use it. That way I am starting with cold ingredients. Also you can make the potatoes, eggs and bacon the day before and keep them in the fridge. That way everything is cold when mixed. Cold potato stay together better when mixed and don't get so mushy.

I rarely if ever have left overs as this pretty much is the first side dish to get cleaned out at any BBQ or Potluck. But in the event you do have leftovers, it's really great for breakfast as it has all the ingredients of a good breakfast (eggs, bacon, potatoes). Probably would keep for about a week in the fridge, but i've never had it around that long.

If you make it, please let me know what you think and what your guests thought. :)

Yes.....that's it! But hey, it's got green onion. That's a veggie!

I count 2 veggies and 2 proteins. That's basically healthy food where I come from! In a study I just made up, Paprika is packed full of antioxidants as well, we all know the important role antioxidants play in a healthy diet. Looks great though, will have to try it for sure.

On the salt/pepper/paprika I've never measured them, just shake and taste and add more as need. So maybe start and half my estimates and add more as needed to your tastes. You can always add more, but hard to make it away once added.

@BigKev hasn't been around for a few years but we did make this potato salad for Easter lunch today and it was very tasty, will do it again but maybe some minor tweaks, more onion, maybe some olive or pickle and perhaps more bacon.  We really like a chunky interesting potato salad.