John Setzler

2015 Kamado Joe Smoked Turkey

I cooked this for thanksgiving. 20 pound bird cooked faster than I expected. I used the liquid in the drip pan to make a very flavorful gravy. I brined the bird and found the drippings and some of the dark meat noticibly salty. I ran out of herbs so smoked w Apple. It was DELICIOUS

thanks for the recipe.

On 12/5/2015 at 8:59 PM, Smatty said:

I cooked this for thanksgiving. 20 pound bird cooked faster than I expected. I used the liquid in the drip pan to make a very flavorful gravy. I brined the bird and found the drippings and some of the dark meat noticibly salty. I ran out of herbs so smoked w Apple. It was DELICIOUS

thanks for the recipe.

Did you have to add to the drip pan during the cook?  I want to try this and want the gravy as well. 

I've used this method before with good success.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html#gravy

But I've also taken to preparing the gravy a day ahead by using the same rub on turkey and chicken parts (necks, wings, leg quarters), roasting those and collecting the drippings so I can focus on the main bird on the day of dinner.  I start with a fair bit of liquid in the drippings pan so it doesn't burn - made that mistake the first time I tried to collect drippings. 

I have brined birds for many years.  For those who find it salty, you might give the bird a good rinse in cool fresh water, dry it well, put it on a wire rack in a pan, refrigerate uncovered and let the skin dry for a few hours.  I do all my brined birdies this way.  Just my two cents.

Also, in higher altitude (we are at 5300 ft) I am learning that it is essential to have a drip pan with fluids (water, broth, or wine) in a drip pan to prevent meat from drying out.  It's high and dry here!