John Setzler

2015 Kamado Joe Smoked Turkey

I did this today. Early on, it became clear that my digital thermometer wasn't right.

Then I tried another. It was also not working right.

Because of this I had to depend on the dome thermometer and a thermo-pen. I don't like poking holes in the bird every 15 minutes but that's how this cook went.

When the breast hit 160 the thighs were 140. I thought that the cook was doomed. I cooked until the thermo-pen read 160 in the thighs and then I removed the bird from the grill and tented it with foil for a bit more than 30 minutes. 

Despite all of the problems the bird was very juicy. The only complaint was that we could taste the grill. I'm hoping that this will improve with more use/seasoning. 

I used the liquid from the drip pan to make gravy. It tasted great.

I'll do this again for sure. Beer can chicken is probably my next cook though.

IMG_20170706_170417.jpg

IMG_20170706_170427.jpg

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@Eeyore

I have never had the breast finish before the legs/thighs.  were you cooking breast side up or down? I Always cook breast side up for this reason.

I was breast side up. I thought that having the dark meat closer to the heat would help. I might try breast side down next time to see what happens. I'm wondering if the drip pan full of liquid being closer to the thighs was causing this. I'm happy that the turkey was juicy and flavorful but I hope that next time won't be so stressful. I have a thermopro on the way to replace the thermometer that didn't work. 

My project for tomorrow, if it doesn't rain, is to seal up the top and bottom vents of my pit boss kamado. I finished my cook more than 4 hours ago and the grill is still over 150 degrees. There's bad weather coming so I want to get the cover on. 

I've had good results with fresh turkey doing it spatchcocked. Brining it overnight. It seems to cook evenly and is always juicy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my first post:

I made this lastnight according to all steps except the brining process.  When buying a fresh turkey from the store, I learned it is an important step to see how it has been packaged. In my case, already it was in a brining solution as evident from the ingredient list.   I think if I had gone further to brine, it would have turned out too salty. 
The cook went great on my Classic 2 Joe. 
13lb bird @350 was finished in just under three hours - breast side up.  (took off grill at 160degrees breast temp and tented for 20mins)

I combined both the herb package as well as a chunk of apple wood for smoking.

(I admit a bit too much wood smoke absorbed in the dark meat - I’d use half of the amount of wood next time)

The turkey breast was FANTASTIC. Moist. Delicious flavour. Nice seasoning/rub. Although I would use 1tbsp salt vs 2 next time.  I used sea-salt - maybe that was a difference maker too.  
My Family was very happy with the outcome. 
Thanks for the great videos and guidence John.  

Happy Thanksgiving from Canada!

4BC42101-7471-4DB9-847A-3B30AABAB85B.jpeg

017C050B-7500-4191-B0E4-8EF5C45DAD45.jpeg

F5C4EEAC-5607-455B-815D-9AEBD2AB0961.jpeg

9AE98992-077F-4410-8004-00494E652B2A.jpeg