Charcoal Addict

New KJ hinge design

Didn't play at all for me. I'm on an iPad. I'll see how it does on a full blown computer later this morning.

Oh CC it plays for you everytime you cook on your Kamados ;-)

I'm actually very impressed with it. A really great innovation for the KJ lineup. The ability to let go of the dome in any position and having it sit there without it slamming shut.

I'm interested in seeing how the spring adjustment is made.

Didn't play at all for me. I'm on an iPad. I'll see how it does on a full blown computer later this morning.

You probably have to update your Facebook app. It play on my iPhone without issue.

I do t have Facebook, nor a Facebook app...played just fine for me?

So long as the shape of the dome and bowl aren't changing then I would expect the new kit to retrofit. It would be a big re-tooling effort on the part of KJ to start making new ceramic components just for the hinge. 

I have a Classic so I don't have a dog in this hunt...but maybe some day. :)

The dome sizes and bands are the same. The only possible concern would be people with custom tables. The hinge appears to hang 1 1/2 - 2 inches deeper in the back. Some people may be forced either slightly modify their cut outs or they may have to raise their Joe's slightly higher if you didn't plan for more clearance between the hinge and your table top.

The hinge looks like it extends further, and if you look closely, it looks like 5-6 inches deep going down. Its hard to tell because it looks like the book shelf, but this is really going to be trouble if you have a custom table already and want to retrofit it.

I agree its a great innovation, and Kamado Joe mentioned that it would be available to anyone with a current Big Joe that had concerns and wanted it they would offer it free to them. Here is the link...

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23830-big-joe-hinge-question/

So count me in for a new hinge Bobby, Big Joe Standalone in Stainless.

The hinge looks like it extends further, and if you look closely, it looks like 5-6 inches deep going down. Its hard to tell because it looks like the book shelf, but this is really going to be trouble if you have a custom table already and want to retrofit it.

Good point... Let's hope they can provide dimensions sooner rather than later... I've been hoping to do a table build, but might have to hold off until I know how big this will be and whether it impacts table design.

Most tables give 3 or so inches of clearance for the bands. I am planning on raising my Joe a couple inches.

Note: this idea was not mine, but another creative genus.

Most tables give 3 or so inches of clearance for the bands. I am planning on raising my Joe a couple inches.

Note: this idea was not mine, but another creative genus.

My customs tables already have the clearance. KJ could solve that problem by releasing a cast iron table stand with feet on levelers. that would take care of the issue for anyone using the new hinge with existing tables.

The ceramic feet are a passable solution for placing a Joe in a table. A CI KJ table stand would be a far more flexible and stable solution for placing Joe's in tables.

These hinges will be retrofittable to existing Big Joes. We are also going to make some changes to the thickness of the bands so I would recommend changing the bands as well. The nice thing about this design is that you install the bands first and then the hinge just attaches to the bands. Installation takes minutes and is very safe. Should be available in April / May. Manufacturing in the USA for Assembly in China. Tooling takes 12 weeks. These samples were made on a CNC machine.