• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

Here is my gyro recipe which has been tried and tested on Greek friends and passed with flying colours!

Ingredients

• 1 lb ground lamb
  • 1 lb ground lean beef
  • 1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs
  • 1 tbs onion powder
  • 1 tbs dried oregano
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tbs dried chili flakes (Optional)

post-6823-0-54046800-1448371571_thumb.jp

Directions

• Knead together the meat, they have to be very well blended and become one meat.  If you were cooking a meatloaf, this would look extremely over worked, but that is what a gyro needs.  In my mixer, I started off at 1 minute in the low setting then pushed it up to high for 5 full minutes
  • Add the spices and knead together until it looks emulsified, this takes about 1-2 minutes on high in my mixer
  • Scoop out onto plastic wrap and shape.  Pay special attention to packing this very very tightly.  Once I formed the 'log' I wrapped it up and started to pound it against the counter top to get all the air out, this will be important once its cooked so that it slices just like a traditional gyro
  • Keep in fridge for at least 4 hours, I keep mine overnight
  • Cook on Kamado (or oven, if you must) at 375F indirect.  It takes about 50-55 minutes (I flip mine over after 30 mins).  You want to pull it when it hits 165F IT
  • Let it cool and then slice into very thin slices

post-6823-0-82359600-1448372617_thumb.jppost-6823-0-63099800-1448372640_thumb.jp

post-6823-0-23654700-1448372656_thumb.jppost-6823-0-87672800-1448372692_thumb.jp

Also need

• Pita bread
  • Tzatziki sauce (I didn't make my own, but there are lots of recipes out there)
  • Cut tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and lettuce
  • Hot sauce

To Assemble

• Warm up pita
  • Spread Tzatziki sauce over pita 
  • Add thinly sliced gyro meat
  • Add toppings and hot sauce to taste
  • Roll up and enjoy!

post-6823-0-40381400-1448372724_thumb.jp

post-6823-0-71422300-1448372755_thumb.jp

This is such a quick and easy recipe that smells and tastes amazing!  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!

This looks great but I will also have an issue finding ground lamb. Can ground pork or chicken be substituted? Would ground pork have too much fat?

I know it would not be traditional but it should still be good.

Thanks, Rak! My family all loves gyros, so we'll definately give it a shot Might be tough to for me to source ground lamb. Anyone know if Costco has some?

That's going to be my problem also. I did see a nice leg of lamb in the store. Wonder if I could cut 1 lb of meat off that and grind it myself.

Sounds and looks delicious but where's the Feta cheese?

LOL lots of room to improvise the sammie as you please, but I don't like feta on my gyro, I do like it on my Greek salad though! LOL
I was just curious, everytime I get a Gyro around here it has Feta which I have grown fond of it being on it.

Looks tasty. Thanks for the recipe.

Sorry Chuck, I just saw this post!  You are very welcome, its about as authentic as they come and my family have been asking me to remake this one...maybe next week :)

I cooked this recipe tonight rotisserie style. A really fantastic recipe. This was a very easy and successful cook for me. Will definitely do this again in the future. The family loved it.

08ed79257b22b86f1ede74393a5af097.jpg

59b8b90801bef6b2d76f1e77ddb9ffd8.jpg

72c272cf8b4d9dd7f46ad7dfbb251d1d.jpg

Thank you CKreef, a true compliment coming from you :)