Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      Hi all,

Here is a recipe for my tzatziki sauce to go with my gyro recipe (linked below as well).  Been meaning to post this for a couple months now and just now got around to it.

Ingredients:
      2+ cups pre-strained plain greek yogurt
      1 seeded and chopped cucumber, strained through cheesecloth.
      2 cloves minced garlic
      2 Tbsp olive oil
      1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/2 tsp dried dill (or 1.5 tsp fresh)

Directions:
      Mix all together. Refrigerate until ready to top your gyro.

Here is the link to the related gyro recipe:
      http://youtu.be/Nlc9fWFNS7M

• By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      Been meaning to record and post this for a couple months.  Finally did it although I ran out of fresh rosemary and had to use my stash of dried.

This is so good. I may never go out for gyro ever again!

Gyro Portion:

1 lb ground lamb
      1 lb lean ground beef
      1 medium red onion, minced, strained through cheesecloth (~1 cup after straining)
      4-5 garlic cloves, minced
      3 Tbsp fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 Tbsp dried and crushed)
      1 Tbsp dried marjoram (or 3 Tbsp fresh, minced)
      2 tsp coarse salt
      1/2+ tsp black pepper
      Mix all well in stand mixer then process into a smooth paste (in batches) via food processor.
      Pack tightly into a log shape.
      Roll up tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
      Cook on kamado indirectly at around 325-350 deg F turning at least once until 170-175 deg F IT.
      Should take between 1 and 1.5 hours.

Tzatziki Portion:

The tzatziki sauce was:
      2+ cups pre-strained plain greek yogurt
      1 seeded and chopped cucumber, strained through cheesecloth.
      2 cloves minced garlic
      2 Tbsp olive oil
      1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/2 tsp dried dill (or 1.5 tsp fresh)
    • By Luv2Q
      Hello fellow KG forum members!

After seeing Rak's post where he detailed the process for creating a Gyro in your own home, I realized that I just had to try the same thing out for myself! I absolutely love Gyros and can't get enough of them. Whenever I see them at the county fair or at a restaurant around town, I immediately go into "I want a gyro right now" mode.

A little over a week ago, I rounded up the ingredients and started the process.

After creating the log-o'-gyro-goodness, I wrapped it in plastic wrap and let it meld for 24 hours.

Onto the grill it goes!

Here's what it looks like after hitting the internal temperature. This log was definitely not as pretty as Rak's log, but since you're going to slice it up, it really didn't matter.

Here's two pounds of gyro heaven just waiting to be pitafied!!!

After heating up the pita bread and slathering on a layer of tzatziki sauce, on went the gyro meat and a little onion and lettuce. This is EXACTLY how I like it! The taste was 100% equivalent to what I've tasted before and I know that it's correct because I just had my taste buds calibrated.

If you're into gyros like I am, give Rak's recipe a try. I guarantee that you won't be dissatisfied!!! If you are, well, then he'll give you your money back!

Here's the original link to Rak's post: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/24960-gyro/

Thank you for looking and enjoy!

• By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      Family meal today.  Homemade gyro on the kamado with homemade tzatziki.  Fresh rosemary made a huge difference. Definitely doing this one again!

• By Nick2cd
      i used Alton Brown's recipe.  i cut the recipe in half and i used ground beef instead of lamb.  i find the best results come from a 50% : 50% beef/lamb blend.  but the all beef turns out great too.  also, marjoram is expensive and is extremely similar to oregano.  it can be substituted with very little change in flavor.

1 medium onion, finely chopped or shredded
      2 pounds ground lamb
      1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
      1 tablespoon dried marjoram
      1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary
      2 teaspoons kosher salt
      1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

process ingredients in a food processor until a smooth mixture is obtained.  an hour in the fridge will help to firm it up but isn't essential.  process the onion first and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.  you want your final product to be a dense loaf.