Our Thanksgiving Bird

DerHusker

As there was just 3 of us this time and we have most of our stuff in boxes, we decided to just do a chicken instead of a turkey. I wanted to jazz it up a little so I went with a recipe I’ve done before. See Link: http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/11844-rosemary-sage-apple-chicken/?hl=%2Brosemary+%2Bsage+%2Bapple

I did tweak it a little as Mrs. DerHusker isn’t than fond of Rosemary so I substituted Thyme for it. Here are most of the ingredients.

23227544492_e9e94bb5dc_z.jpg

I diced up one apple very fine and placed in a bowl.

1 1/2 tbsp. of Montreal Chicken rub.

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1/4 tsp. cinnamon.

Minced the Thyme & Sage and into the bowl.

22967925039_7fba2aba4e_z.jpg

Enough EVOO to make this into a paste. (Approx. 1/3 cup)

23253274161_3ffb09d1e4_z.jpg

Made pockets under the skin for the breasts and thighs.

23309712656_8194d5154f_z.jpg

Put the paste in under the skin.

22708697783_9a21b0ea09_z.jpg

Took the leftover and rubbed the outside of the chicken with some extra Montreal Chicken.

23040046800_bc53ed3cef_z.jpg

Place it on the kamado. Cooked for 2 hours at 275.

23310019426_93862cbe27_z.jpg

My wife made up the table. (No small feat as there were still boxes of stuff from the flood on it. You may see some of them in the background)

22725052234_ed3a3bcfe5_c.jpg

Here it is done.

23245062102_dcc12b0ed9_b.jpg

Delicious! :)

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving.

DH,

Great looking chicken, wonderful prep, and a fine table in spite of all your flood  travails. Glad you were able to enjoy a wonderful family meal in the midst of all the restoration and renovation. Hang in there brother there has to be an end to this and hopefully soon. 

Grace and Peace 

Husker - way to overcome! That's one very impressive yardbird cook given the limitations and circumstances. That table shot says it all. Even KFC would be a meal fit for royalty at that table. Your wife is aces. The money shot of that bird is wonderful. This whole post is the spirit of Thanksgiving captured in pics. Many, many folks would gritching, gripe, and groan. Husker, you have reaffirmed my faith in humanity. Thank you!

Thanks for taking the time to post with such a beautiful Thanksgiving feast!  Sorry about the long delay in getting your house back in order, and just glad you get to enjoy a kamado meal once in awhile.  We look forward to having you back "full strength", and I'm sure you are so ready.