Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
funkahdafi

HELP - URGENT - Mould infestation.

Recommended Posts

HELP!!! MOULD.

 

I have guests tonight and was about to get the Kamado ready. I haven't used it for a few weeks and when I opened it up today, there was mould everywhere.

 

I am kind of panicing given that I have to get started with my cook.

 

What do you guys think? Can I just go "nuclear" for half an hour or so and just burn it all off? Or should I cancel and get this cleaned thoroughly?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Discard any charcoal, lava rocks, ceramic briquets, or other porous materials.

2) Fire it up as hot as possible to kill it and burn off all grease and mold. Use a double load of charcoal. If you try to scrape it off or powerwash first you might inhale a lot of spores and have an allergic reaction, and you will still have a lot of mold on the floor.

3) Let it cool and now scrape and scrub everything in sight with a wire brush or a pressure washer. Remove parts and scrape or pressure wash them. The only desirable grease is elbow grease.

4) Then wash everything down with soapy water. Then rinse thoroughly.

5) Finally, fire it up one last time to burn off any mold, grease, and soap residue. You're now ready to cook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be wrong here but I thought you don't want to use soap on any ceramics.  From my understanding you don't want to use soap on pizza stones so why would you ever do it in your kamado?

 

A high heat cook should be plenty enough to kill all of the mold without any issues from my understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3) Let it cool and now scrape and scrub everything in sight with a wire brush or a pressure washer. Remove parts and scrape or pressure wash them. The only desirable grease is elbow grease.

4) Then wash everything down with soapy water. Then rinse thoroughly.

 

I would NEVER user water (especially under pressure) or soap on any ceramic part of a kamado. It will absorb into the porous ceramic, which could lead to real issues. Just remove all the old charcoal, scrape out what you can and do a high heat burn-off, and re-scrape.

Some guys use oven cleaner on the grates (remove them) and rinse them with water. Then they re-insert them prior to the burn-off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would burn off. 600-700 for 30 minutes will kill everything.

Can you get your kamado cool enough to cook on after that in enough time for your plans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I can cool it off enough. I closed all lids down after the burn off (which worked surprisingly well, no more mold to be seen) and it's cruising at just below 400 now. If I can get it down to 300-350 I am all good. 

 

Thanks guys, some great advice here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See I thought you would have to take the grill out of pit first then soap n water. I guess the guy who wrote the article didn't take pores absorbing the soap into consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need to go nuclear to get rid of mold.  The mold will all be 'dead' before you get to 200 degrees.  If it were me, I'd bring the grill up to 300 degrees and hold it there for 30 minutes or so and then cool the grill down.   I would then remove all the parts and hit them with a plastic bristle brush to remove any visible residue.  After that it's all good to go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need to go nuclear to get rid of mold. The mold will all be 'dead' before you get to 200 degrees. If it were me, I'd bring the grill up to 300 degrees and hold it there for 30 minutes or so and then cool the grill down. I would then remove all the parts and hit them with a plastic bristle brush to remove any visible residue. After that it's all good to go.

John, I will respectfully disagree. While the mold would be dead before 200 F. I would want to carbonize any toxins the mold could leave behind. That is why I would recommend 600 F for 30+ minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...