Sign in to follow this  
Delaware Smoker

Charging To Smoke Cheese

I smoked some cheese for a lady,who added it to her mac &cheese.She said that it was the best mac & cheese.I didn't charge her,now she wants more for the holidays,but she wants to pay.After the cost of the cheese,what do you guys think,would be a fair price?I did see baiscly the same cheese online for $6.99,throw in  shipping cost,it came to $24.99.I think $5.00 for an 8oz block,is fairI'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,Bill.

I'd say ask her to buy 2-4x the amount of cheese she wants. You smoke it all, give her the portion she originally requested, then keep the rest for yourself...

Basically it just gives you an excuse to smoke cheese, so you don't need to calculate time or materials separately.

I couldn't charge her anything in cash. The time and materials involved in cold smoking cheese is minimal.

I agree with Bwarbiany - just ask her to include an extra block or two for you to keep.

I'd also make sure she is asking you to smoke more than just one or two blocks at a time. I'd explain to her that smoked cheese is better once it has had some time to mellow and she should just keep some extra blocks in the fridge to have when needed. Just vacuum pack it and label/date it and she can be good to go for months.

Just a reminder if you are vacuum sealing it don't forget to include the cost of bags.   If it's just a few larger blocks that's not a big deal but if it's a pile of smaller chunks that can add up.

Make it her christmas present, i would not provide an edible for compensation.

Btw if she or a guest blames a tummy ache on you , health dept will be on you like white on rice, along with any related agency.

( i work in a highly regulated industry, due to my own efforts

I know a guy who smokes it in a Big Chief smoker inserted into a cardboard box - he takes it out, cools and dries it in a fridge over night and sells it to local BBQ shops.  Not sure what he get's per pound but you can make a little cash and get free cheese out of it!