CeramicChef

Geez Louise!!!!!  That my friend is a piece of LUMP!!  That one piece oughta be enough to do a 12 hour low-n-slow in either one of your KK's!

Geez is right!  I've seen a LOT of lump and that single piece is the largest piece of lump I've ever seen.  I sent those pics to FOGO.  We'll see what they have to say.

I had a huge chunk from a bag of KJ brown bag that wasn't half the size of that.

I've dug that piece out of the firebox and I'm saving it for a conversation piece here at ChezChef.  I showed that to a buddy and he about fell over.  

If size matters, I'm swinging large and swinging for the fences with this piece!  :lol:  We won't say any more along these lines!

Safe to assume that your pellet of FOGO arrived?  Or is that from existing inventory?  Would love to see a pic of a whole pellet of FOGO!!  Would love to have the room for that kind of "stash"!!!

No, it's not from the pallet; that's due in tomorrow between 10:00 AM and 2:00 pm. I'll take pics and post that tomorrow.

That hunk was from my existing stash.

Personally I don't like huge pieces much less monsters. Mediums work best in my opinion.

But I will say breaking up large pieces with a hammer is much easier than glueing together fines and smalls - LOL

That one was kinda huge.  A nice big one can work well for slow and low if it is surrounded by medium stuff.  The issue is getting to to burn!

Break it in fourths CC.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By arclite
      Hello? Is there anybody out there?

I've had a couple not so great low and slows this season using Made in USA Royal Oak lump. 

I was thinking on trying FOGO but not sure if the Super Premium lump will be too big for the Junior? The Primo Junior really isn't a small cooker like the BGE Minimax or smaller Kamado Joe's because of the oval design, yet it isn't a super deep firebox. Has anybody have experience with the Fogo lump on a Primo Junior?

Are there any other suggestions for premium lump for a Primo Junior?

Thanks. 
    • By brandon78
      I have a question about lump charcoal and brands. Where I live, the options to buy from a store are limited. I have only used Royal Oak, and the only other one available near me is Cowboy. I have been happy with the Royal Oak, but would like to try something different. I researched Amazon and found Fogo and Jealous Devil. I hear people mention Fogo frequently, and have never heard anyone talk about Jealous Devil. However, on Naked Whiz, Jealous Devil got a higher rating and is a better price per pound on Amazon. In fact, the review of Jealous Devil makes it sound excellent. 

Does anyone have any experience with Fogo and/or Jealous Devil and have an opinion? Thanks!!

P.S. The Amazon price for 70 pounds of Jealous Devil is priced almost the same per pound as what I pay for Royal Oak at Home Depot. 
    • By CeramicChef
      Howdy Gurus!

Here are a couple of recent quick cooks done here at ChezChef on my 19" KK, Beauty!

First we have spiral cut chills dogs.  No big deal except that I absolutely LOVE chili dogs.  We have two types of dogs ... a few jalapeño sausages and a few hot links.

Now to eat healthy, here is a burger and veggies, Brussels Sprout and last summer's corn.

Thanks for looking.  Both were quite sumptuous!  Enjoy your cooks!
    • By CeramicChef
      I've been craving smoked salmon lately, so the last time I was in Sam's Club, I bought a couple of fillets and cooked them last night for my dinner guests.

Here is a pic of the fillets fresh from the packaging.

I made up a dry brine of brown sugar, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, cinnamon, and all spice.  Here are the fillets' covered with the mixture.

I covered the dish and put it in the refrigerator for about 15 hours.  As you can see a great deal of moisture has been drawn out of the fish fillets.

Rinse the fillets and pat them dry.  Then set the fillets on a drying rack back in the refrigerator for about 4 - 5 hours.  This is what your fillets should look like right before you place them in the cooking grate in your kamado.  

And it's on to the cooking grate in TheBeast.  I smoked these fillets for about 2 hours @ 175F using Alder and Peach chunks.

Here is a picture of the fillets right after they were pulled off the cooking grate.  You can tell they are dome by the little droplets of the cream colored liquid that you can see on the fillets.  

Here is a closer picture of the cooked fillets.

Finally, here is the plated shot.  The fillets were served with KK roasted potatoes and a vinegar based cole slaw, the recipe of which is posted in the recipe section.

As you can see, Pete The Salt Pig heartily approves of us eating heart healthy.  

This is an easy cook and only takes a few minutes prep time in the kitchen.  

Thanks for looking.

• By CeramicChef
      I thought for some strange reason that I'd pay homage to my 0.001% Irish Forefathers this evening.

Tonight's cook consisted of scooped out baked potatoes, filled with some sort of filling, and the whole thing rebaked on the KK.  So, without further ado, here is my homage to Erin.

The very first thing to do is have a couple of bakers well slathered with bacon grease.  Yes, bacon grease.  Yeah, I know, but if you don't use bacon grease, the neo-nazi health police win, and I'm trying to beat the back every day!  If you don't have bacon grease in your kitchen, shame on you!

Next, I browned up some 90/10 hamburger meat, some red, orange, and yellow bell peppers, and some onion and garlic.

Here are the bakers on the main grate of TheBeast.  I baked them for about an hour at 400F until a fork went in easily.

This is a picture of the browned hamburger, peppers, etc. ready for the potatoes.

Here are the spuds.  As you can see, slit in half and scoop out most of the interior.  I try and leave about 1/4" all the way around.  Reserve the scooping for potato salad.

Tonight I laid down in the scooped potato a simple ragu as a base layer.  

Put a heaping amount of the burger mixture in the potato.

Sauce again and top with your favorite cheese.  For these I use shredded mozzarella cheese.  Here are the assembled potatoes.  They take about 15 minutes on the grill at 400F.

And finally, here is the money shot with Pete The Salt Pig granting approval to chow down!

These potatoes are really quite easy to do, especially on a weekday evening.  Instead of hamburger, you can use pork sausage (Pete would not be so happy with that cook!), ground turkey or chicken, or chorizo etc.  Instead of a ragu, you can use salsas, grilled and pureed fruit such as mangoes, peaches, etc.  You can get as creative as you wish.  After all, it's your dinner and you can do it any way you and your family desire.

From the time I lit the FOGO in the belly of TheBeast until I was 400F it was about 15 minutes.  The potatoes took about an hour to bake to fork tender.  To assemble it took no more than 15 minutes.  Time on the grill for the stuffed potatoes was no more than 15 minutes.  All totaled, from start to finish, this simple homage to my Irish roots took about 1 hour and 45 minutes.  I like this cook because there was lots of time to stay hydrated between the flurries of activity.

Thanks for looking.  I appreciate it!