kamado joe jr

themarmot

Plan on meat which fits within a 13 inch circle.  The actual space on mine, to the edge of the dome is right at 14 inches, but a bit of air gap is important. Allow for the dome thermometer stub.  (or, remove the thermometer and use maverick probes stuck in the meat, and monitoring grill temperature).

Plan on meat which fits within a 13 inch circle.  The actual space on mine, to the edge of the dome is right at 14 inches, but a bit of air gap is important. 

The dome height (or lack of it) is what can pose more of a challenge, especially with the dome thermometer probe protruding inward. You are very limited on clearance. Flat cuts of meat are less of an issue. 

I am not as experienced as Andy or Addertooth. Because I did not know any better, I cooked a 13 lb turkey for Thanksgiving on my Jr that traveled with me to my sister's house.

The turkey came out great. The thermometer did not work due to the turkey taking up so much space, but I used my Maverick to keep track of the grill and the meat.

I normally due my turkeys on my Big Joe, but since we were traveling I thought I would bring my Jr and try it out. It worked well for me this time, but I would not recommend if you are buying to cook this or brisket on a regular basis - get the Classic or better yet a Big Joe.