smokintarheel

Vision Cast Iron upper vent

I've placed an order for the cast iron vent and a upper vent gasket as well. Shipping was free and it shipped out yesterday. I thought, hey, I might as well try it out. Thanks for everyone's comments and thoughts on this topic!

Lee

Very nice.  Do you know if the version you ordered has the smaller smoking adjustment?  If so, I'd be curious to see how it fits your Classic B when you get it.

I've placed an order for the cast iron vent and a upper vent gasket as well. Shipping was free and it shipped out yesterday. I thought, hey, I might as well try it out. Thanks for everyone's comments and thoughts on this topic!

Lee

Very nice.  Do you know if the version you ordered has the smaller smoking adjustment?  If so, I'd be curious to see how it fits your Classic B when you get it.

The version I'm getting does have the smaller smoking adjustment. Vision sent it USPS free shipping. It should arrive next week. They told me it would fit so I'll let you know. They supposedly threw in an upper gasket, since mine was shot.

Lee

The version I'm getting does have the smaller smoking adjustment. Vision sent it USPS free shipping. It should arrive next week. They told me it would fit so I'll let you know. They supposedly threw in an upper gasket, since mine was shot.

I installed the new Pro-style CI upper vent and it fits the Classic B perfectly. After removing the adhesive with acetone, and scraping gently between acetone application, then I installed the new felt gasket. I pushed the new vent down into position. It's still not down all the way but this baby is definitely airtight. It has rained every day since, so no cooking until the weather cooperates. (one day, I'll have a covered area) I'm glad I ordered this new vent.

Lee

I installed the new Pro-style CI upper vent and it fits the Classic B perfectly. After removing the adhesive with acetone, and scraping gently between acetone application, then I installed the new felt gasket. I pushed the new vent down into position. It's still not down all the way but this baby is definitely airtight. It has rained every day since, so no cooking until the weather cooperates. (one day, I'll have a covered area) I'm glad I ordered this new vent.

Nice weather today. I'll have the vision out for some photos and do some cooking. Pics coming later.

Well my cook was postponed. Right before I went outside to start up, a good friend called as he was being taken by ambulance to the hospital. He was diagnosed with pneumonia. The good news is my buddy is doing much better tonight. Not sure how tomorrow is going to shake out but at some point I'll be posting pics of BBQ pork "burnt ends" and will let everyone know how the new vent works.

I had the non cast iron one on mine but the tab broke. I ended up getting the cast iron one - just paid shipping for it.

Way better than the old one and worth the upgrade IMHO.

Putting my Vision together when I saw the Plastic Tab,  I wondered how long it would last.   After about a dozen cooks my Cast Iron vent stuck.  Giving it a little Love tap with my hand "Pop" and it lands on the cement floor (but the vent was still stuck).  I went to the garage and got some WD40 and gave the vent a little squirt and mine freed up.    Are they shipping a Cast Iron Tab (for the Cast Iron Vent w/the plastic tab)?

I had the non cast iron one on mine but the tab broke. I ended up getting the cast iron one - just paid shipping for it.

Way better than the old one and worth the upgrade IMHO.

Putting my Vision together when I saw the Plastic Tab, I wondered how long it would last. After about a dozen cooks my Cast Iron vent stuck. Giving it a little Love tap with my hand "Pop" and it lands on the cement floor (but the vent was still stuck). I went to the garage and got some WD40 and gave the vent a little squirt and mine freed up. Are they shipping a Cast Iron Tab (for the Cast Iron Vent w/the plastic tab)?
Would recommend veggie oil instead of WD40 in the future. [emoji6]

Well my cook was postponed. Right before I went outside to start up, a good friend called as he was being taken by ambulance to the hospital. He was diagnosed with pneumonia. The good news is my buddy is doing much better tonight. Not sure how tomorrow is going to shake out but at some point I'll be posting pics of BBQ pork "burnt ends" and will let everyone know how the new vent works.

Did these on Sunday. They turned out great. The vent worked very well. If I have trouble with it sticking, I'll use some  veggie oil.post-7130-0-38895700-1453261093_thumb.jppost-7130-0-76536100-1453261187_thumb.jp

After two cooks, mine is still FREE!  

Interesting Fact.  Vaseline was/is a by product of refining.  The first use for Vaseline was for Cooking.   

The bad thing about WD40 is it evaporates.  This is why it's not a good firearm oil.

There's another thread where several people went back and forth,  on using WD40 on the top vent.

Like cooking,  use what ever works for you.  I would expect Cooking Oil would turn into a sticky goo after being cooked for a long time.