Sometimes music defines a cook...

75tranzam

So I'm smoking a 10lb pork butt for a pot luck at work tomorrow and I came home and started getting the Joe ready and I hear one of my favorite songs on 70's Rock Radio on Pandora. It's Night Moves by Bob Seger, one of the greatest songwriters of my generation. I honestly can say I don't know of a single Bob Seger song I don't dig. Alright, on to the cook.

post-6943-0-06255500-1450225071.jpeg

So here's the Joe set up with oak chunks in the bottom and 4 apple wood branches added to the Royal Oak lump.

post-6943-0-21956500-1450225078_thumb.jp

post-6943-0-30986200-1450225082_thumb.jp

here's the star of the show all slathered in Maple Syrup and Yellow Mustard topped with Eat More BBQ Rub.

post-6943-0-73838800-1450225087_thumb.jp

Nestled in the Joe for her overnight cook. 

post-6943-0-35307200-1450225092_thumb.jp

Gotta say I love the station on Pandora and check it out if you feel lime it, Styx's Blue Collar Man(Long Nights) on right now!

Very nice. I've often thought I was born a generation or two too late, I'm an early 80s kid (and a native Michigander) but I grew up listening to Seger, Zepplin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, CCR, and the like. I can't stand what most call music today. Sure there are a few gems and I do have some favorite modern artists I like to listen to but if I'm doing work around the house, about to fire the grill, or just at home by myself and feel like jamming out, I turn up that classic rock n roll and let loose!

Well darn! Before I went to bed last night at 10pm I was worried the butt was cooking to fast and choked the Joe down a little more. Woke up this morning at 3am and checked and the Joe was at 150º and the internal temp was 135º. 

So a low and slow turns into a fast and furious cook as I have to leave for work at 6am. Bumped her up to 325º, let's see how this plays out!

Funny thing, I had some Delbert McClinton rocking out the other weekend. My son comes around the corner and asked what I was cooking. "Nothing" I said since we were heading out that evening. He looked confused since he associated the music with me whipping up something yummy on the BJ.