Xmas rib eye roast

anes.rn

Planning on doing a boneless rib eye roast for xmas dinner In a couple days. Can't decide if I should roast on kamado at 350 with very little to no smoke or roast in oven. Planning on using a simple house rub, salt, pepper, and a little garlic. Thanks for any advice!

I will be cooking the same roast for my family Christmas Eve. Mine will be in my BGE, going on the grill at 1:00 pm. The moist cooking environment does a great job. Another point is that when you cook a large cut in your kamado, you don't tie up your kitchen oven for 3 hours cooking the roast. Your oven is free for sides, pies, etc. 

I will be cooking the same roast for my family Christmas Eve. Mine will be in my BGE, going on the grill at 1:00 pm. The moist cooking environment does a great job. Another point is that when you cook a large cut in your kamado, you don't tie up your kitchen oven for 3 hours cooking the roast. Your oven is free for sides, pies, etc.

The challenge with this kind of roast is that a lot of recipes call for a high heat sear followed by a roast at around 350-375. If you do this, you will likely overcooked the outer 1-inch or so of your roast, even if you have a beautiful rare center.

I have found a reverse sear at about 250F, followed by a high heat(500F) provides the most consistent temperature edge to edge.

This post is a great example.

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/5080-post-christmas-prime-rib-roast/]http://komodokamadof...rime-rib-roast/

I cook mine at 225 to keep as much of the roast medium rare as possible.

I also tie mine up to keep it round, this cooks the whole roast evenly.

I am going to use Peach and Mulberry wood this year.

I always use a water pan with prime rib.

Served with the freshest hottest horseradish I can find

Sounds good folks. I'm going to go indirect. Probably 250-300 ish to IT of 135. Most people eating don't like it too rear but I can't overcook this beautiful piece of meat so I have to find a happy medium. I read about searing it and then roasting it, which I was considering doing to get that sear on the outside but that's a good point about overcooking. I'll be sure to post some pics.