Okieboys

Howdy from Texas! New Vision Komodo Series M

Howdy all!  New here and just purchased a Vision Komodo Series M (SAMs Club).  Not new to Smoking and Grilling.  Been a competitive smoker for the past 4 years.  Looking forward to sharing and learning from everyone. 

I ordered my M series on Black Friday.  It was delivered a week later....wrong color and the ceramic was busted big time.  Called SAMs and three weeks later the next one arrived (right color and not broken).  SAMs forgot to send a ticket to pick up the busted Series M so 30 days later I cannibalized it for parts in the future!!!  Having reviewed some of the ideas on this site and using some of my knowledge from building UDS smokers I rigged my spare grate to allow for me to get a stone and set-up for smoking on my M.  I tried to include photos with this post. 

Seasoning the M today and plan on grilling some steaks tonight.

https://flic.kr/p/CqnqhE

https://flic.kr/p/CsEXQn

post-10506-0-60681500-1450897301.jpg

post-10506-0-91005100-1450897301.jpg

post-10506-0-86011500-1450897387.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Gator2211
      Hello everyone, new to the group and just seeing what tips, tricks, and insight I can find. I love trying out of the box techniques and experimenting to find the best flavors possible.
    • By Donkey Toes
      Purchasing a Vision Series B with ashtray today from Sam's Club.  Looked at it quite a bit.  Hoping to come across some cool mods to seal it up as tight as possible to control the temps and some other DIY mods to implement instead of buying some of those pricey aftermarket accessories.

Any ideas for an indirect setup?  I've seen the options on he Ceramic Grill Store site and read where some people have used other grill brand products, like the Kamado Joe divide and conquer.
      Any recommendations for sealing up the intake vent and make sure there is a good seal where the ashtray meets the grill?

Any heat diffuser solutions using something other than the products marketed specifically for that (like plate metal)?

Any gas conversion kits that will work for the series B with ashtray?

I'm sure most of these questions are covered by topics somewhere in the forum.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of the mods and products people have used on this forum.

Thanks,

Jacob
    • By ebolamonkey
      Current Mods:

Tip Top Temp

This mod is fairly straight forward. I used the plate hangers that are found at either Homedepot or Lowes to mount the Tip Top Temp (TTT) on the top of the vent.

Double Colander for Coal Dust

I double up on colanders of two different sizes so that I can put my coal inside the colander and then the colander allows the coals to breathe but also catches all the dust. My first cook I used a single colander and then I shook it by accident when removing the remains and coal dust went everywhere. Lesson learned and I doubled up on the second attempt!

Makes my life easier and I don't have to hassle with cleaning the darn thing. Not original idea as I got it from this guy on YouTube. He also cut his Pizza tray but I think that is a little too much.

Terra Cotta Clay Pot

Diamond 4.5" Blade and a Mini Angle Grinder were used to cut the Terra Cotta Clay Pot ($19.98 @ Lowes) to fit it up in side the bottom pit. This particular one from Lowes fits perfectly BUT you have to cut your shims that hold the stone deflector!

How I cut the three-piece steel shims for stone deflector:

Cut the two edges and then bend the living hell out of the shim until the four welds give out. Use a Dremel to clean the rough edges Welds do not interfere with the above Terra Cotta Clay Pot from Lowes  
      How I shaved off the top of the Terra Cotta Pot:

Initial cuts were done around the diagonal pattern design but I need to redo it to make it a bit lower so that my pizza tray deflector doesn't choke the fire. However, my initial suspicions of the fire being choked have subsided because the grill is holding steady at 220*F. Might have taken a bit longer to get there though.

The top grate does not sit flush and is being held up by my pizza tray and all the weight of the terra cotta clay pot is resting on the three sheet metal legs that supports the entire core at the bottom. Need to fix it after I am done with my initial cook on the pork baby back ribs.

Lava Rock Gasket

Plenty of information on this forum as to how this is done. I did the upper and bottom rims of the main lid, ash tray bottom pan to body area, as well as the air intake at the bottom to a very good seal. Judging by the smoke that comes out it is doing a fine job.

Future Mods:

Top hat to cover the TTT Deflector Drip Pan Mod (Make the Pizza pan a little more versatile and can hold some liquids) Might add a deeper dish in there to catch more items Could run a stainless steel line to the bottom as a permanent grease trapping solution into a grease keg  
      More to follow and happy grillin'!

• By GRLN-MNKY
      Hi.  Last weekend (prior to this Memorial Day weekend) I was invited to a friends ranch for his employee party.  200 acres is a pretty good parcel of land.  Did some 4X4 Kawasaki exploring on his (partially flooded) back wooded acres and had a lot of fun shooting.

He had a cook using seasoned oak logs in a 'store bought' decent quality wood burning square stove and a custom made 32" firebrick lined/stone façade iron grated grill setup.  Nice looking but something was wrong.  This (re)sparked my interest in grilling,  so much so, that after watching the cook pull of strips of pork and beef that were either burned or too dried out,  I got youtube happy.  Hate it when that happens,  because I tend to learn stuff,  purchase stuff,  and spend money trying to copy stuff.  Normally results in a small spending spree with acquired goods.

Purchased an Akorn on sale at Lowes. After landing on this forum,  and seeing many members posting on YouTube (Setz, etc.),  I signed up.  Seasoned it at ~400º+ for an hour.   Had a cooked steak in the fridge from a couple days ago.  Using the upper swing-away rack,  warmed that cut back up and enjoyed my first Kamado treat.

I have a garden and know that torn bags at a box store are half price...if you ask.   Got a big bag of RO lump 1/2 off.

First low & slow on the Akorn was almost perfection.  Second time using a water pan on the chipotle ribs turned out great.

Amazed at how little lump you go through on low and slows...

God Bless Our Troops

• By 3vil3ric
      Hi All,
      After 3 sessions on my CGK I want better air flow control..  I will say this new stock model is really good and I'll post up some pics of my findings.
      HOWEVER, I did pick up a roll of BGE gasket today to tighten up the lower vent.  While I have the ash pan off and clean (and a mile of gasket) I figured I'd add it, but the stuff will not mold to the curve of the ash pan.
      For those of you who completed the Nomex gasket mod I have a question. 

What is the trick ?  

Did you make relief cuts or angled segments, or did you just muscle it in place?
      Thanks for sharing your experience !!
      Eric