My response to a murder that happened near my home

Rob_grill_apprentice

6 am Friday I went to Mac's store only to find police blocking parking lot and then I notice Mr Bhanga's car. My heart sunk. I really liked that fellow, he always had smile on his face. I am not finished with my letter but my goal is to have it well enough written so provincial justice minister copies it to Federal Justice Minister. I want laws changed. This kind of thing does not belong in society. The murder happened around 3:30 am.

post-748-0-79725900-1450930129_thumb.jpe

post-748-0-02201900-1450930142_thumb.jpe

Rob,

I agree with your sentiments and understand your anger at losing someone you knew to violence.  Unfortunately, parole officers are frequently overburdened and do not have the time to research social media which is generated by the people they are watching.  Many Parolees tell all the good lies when they are before the board prior to release.  Often they speak in soft voices and claim to have found some stripe of religion.  They often voice significant regret for their life choices and express a clear intent of moving forward with their lives with a positive impact.   They know what to say to enhance the chance of their release.  If you add pressures from the government to reduce prison populations, or especially to reduce the ratio of targeted groups, it is a recipe for many bad people back on the streets.  As far as the guns you mention, it is really a symptom to me.  Violent people have killed through history with arrows, swords, axes and rocks.  Bad people will kill with whatever is on hand.  It is the person which needs the focus, not what weapon he happened to have on hand.  This string of events is another sign that society has largely become too polite to deal with the least polite segment of society.  I lack the wisdom to provide a solution; if we start to monitor social media, the felons will simply find a way to obscure the source.  If we provide longer sentences (which cause prison population to rise), the Government will start setting mandatory release programs to reduce the population.  In all fairness, the root of the problem is not able to be regulated; the problem is rooted in bad parenting.  My parents would not have tolerated me being involved in a gang.  My parents did do periodic searches of my bedroom as a child.  My parents did not tolerate drug use.  There were consequences for my actions.  Unfortunately, there may be no consequences for children in economically depressed households.  I am not sure if it is apathy or simply being overwhelmed with the task of keeping a roof over the head and food on the table.  Without regard for how someone was raised, once you are an adult, your actions are your own.  There will always be people who make bad choices. It is worth noting one of the suspects was not raised in a disadvantaged home.  He was just the classical bad seed.

I have a colleague who will be reviewing my letter over the holidays and then provide me with feedback and suggested changes.   The desired result that I would like to see from the letter once I send it, is that Alberta Justice Minister replies in person and also forwards a copy of the letter to the Federal Justice Minister with a letter of their own.    What I don’t want is form letter reply from a junior assistant saying they will look into the matter. 

Part problem is the Canadian Justice system is using reasonable assumptions on these types of individuals but for these individuals reasonable assumption does not apply because they are not reasonable individuals.   I don't know what the real solution is but it is clear the current system is not effective.  For every rehabilitation success there are some horrible failures. I truly wonder what the real Canadian statistics are in this regard.  A reasonable person obeys the law but an unreasonable person does not have the same logic.   

Let me just say Sorry for your loss.i do understand your pain.My Son was killed in 2004.Another ROTC student shot him.The Boy came home with my son on Friday.Saturday afternoon my son was dead. They ruled as addental, but the Boy changed his story how it happen many times.This boy just got out of Je've. It was told by other students he had a hit list and my son name was on it.The students also said the Principal had the list,but nothing came of that list.Disappeared I guess. I don't discriminate against guns because my Son was shot but there needs to be better gun control.

My Son Mark.Miss him so much

This memory box hangs in the ROTC class.

26f5bf72acc6cf1cf09de95aa1bd1102.jpg

Let me just say Sorry for your loss.i do understand your pain.My Son was killed in 2004.Another ROTC student shot him.The Boy came home with my son on Friday.Saturday afternoon my son was dead. They ruled as addental, but the Boy changed his story how it happen many times.This boy just got out of Je've. It was told by other students he had a hit list and my son name was on it.The students also said the Principal had the list,but nothing came of that list.Disappeared I guess. I don't discriminate against guns because my Son was shot but there needs to be better gun control.

Sorry about your loss. No one should lose a child that way.  In Canada we have tough gun laws but it only helps the people who are reasonable.   The 27 and 26 year killers in the Mac's store killings were banned for life from ever possessing a firearm they are not reasonable individuals.  When I buy ammunition I must present a valid firearms license,   I have attached a pdf of the current law.   What me so upset, the gangsters, criminals don't follow the law.  Example:  before I can take or 12(6) handgun or restricted class firearm to range I must have a valid transport permit.   I am only allow to travel from residence to address specified on permit.  While in transport I am not allowed to detour or make any stops for meals etc.    Also part of the law bans ownership of any center fire rifle magazine that can hold more than 5 rounds.  If caught with one the person would be charged with possession or prohibited weapon.   Thank you very much for your understanding.  I didn't attach any of the amendments because those amendments banned certain firearms and changed some status on some firearms from non-restricted to restricted status etc.   One of the reason was I have grandfathered handgun 12(6) designation was I has in legal possession of it when it was only restricted class.   When they change the class to prohibited only those in current possession would be allowed to keep or acquire additional one.   When I no longer want the handgun I have to sell it to someone who has acquisition licence with handgun 12(6) designation and is still valid or it has to be surrendered to the police for disposal.  

SOR-98-201.pdf

Wow! Here in Georgia, we have open conceal weapon law.if we have a weapon(with permit of coarse), meaning they need to be visible if they are in public view.Even in your car.They have to be visible at all times.which I'm OK with.i really need to get carrying license(since they expired)but now with ckreef,he's always with me.when I was single, my pistol went everywhere with me

Skreef, very sorry to read about your loss. As a parent I can't imagine how awful it is to lose a child.

Fwiw I do think that guns make it too easy to kill people. Here in the UK, guns are basically illegal and our murder rate is far far lower than places where guns are more prevalent. Honestly one of the most stupid things I've heard is the "guns don't kill people, people kill people."

Skreef, very sorry to read about your loss. As a parent I can't imagine how awful it is to lose a child.

Fwiw I do think that guns make it too easy to kill people. Here in the UK, guns are basically illegal and our murder rate is far far lower than places where guns are more prevalent. Honestly one of the most stupid things I've heard is the "guns don't kill people, people kill people."

Thank you. My opinion on your last statement you don,t believe "people kill people" only because, people or person are the ones who pull that trigger.Guns don't pull it self. Dont get me wrong, i'm not against Guns even though I loss my son by one.I thought many times to speak out to young people bout safety in memory of my son, but I still find it very hard to talk bout it.its been 11 years now.There will never be a day that a parent who loss there baby as myself have a normal day again, with the pain that creeps in there heart with every breath I/they take.

Aweful. No words to describe how sorry I am.

My sincere condolences, Rob and Skreef. My heartfelt sympathies to you both.

I would ask everyone here to not derail this topic.  Reserve replies to condolences or constructive advice on Rob's proposed letter. This is not, and should not be turned into a debate thread on gun control.  Anyone who has posted here for some time knows that this is a road that we do not want to go down....

I would ask everyone here to not derail this topic. Reserve replies to condolences or constructive advice on Rob's proposed letter. This is not, and should not be turned into a debate thread on gun control. Anyone who has posted here for some time knows that this is a road that we do not want to go down....

Ross my intention for my post was to console another guru in his lost, and share my lost. Not wanting to make a big deal on bout guns.sorry if you got offended. thank you for you condolences. Merry Christmas[emoji319]

I would ask everyone here to not derail this topic. Reserve replies to condolences or constructive advice on Rob's proposed letter. This is not, and should not be turned into a debate thread on gun control. Anyone who has posted here for some time knows that this is a road that we do not want to go down....

Ross my intention for my post was to console another guru in his lost, and share my lost. Not wanting to make a big deal on bout guns.sorry if you got offended. thank you for you condolences. Merry Christmas[emoji319]

No offense taken, I just didn't want your conversation with Rob escalate into an conflict between two or more other people not even involved in the original conversation,  which tends happen on occasion...

6 am Friday I went to Mac's store only to find police blocking parking lot and then I notice Mr Bhanga's car. My heart sunk. I really liked that fellow, he always had smile on his face. I am not finished with my letter but my goal is to have it well enough written so provincial justice minister copies it to Federal Justice Minister. I want laws changed. This kind of thing does not belong in society. The murder happened around 3:30 am.

My sincerest condolences for your loss.