Messing About

Official Christmas Day Check-in Thread

Thought it might be good to have one thread we can all post in throughout the day, so we don't miss anything.

80* morning here in Port Charlotte, FL. Grill is lit and holding at 225. Since I'm a rookie at this, I will monitor temp for the next 45 mins before putting the Prime Rib on. It's a 6 pounder hoping to get 4-5 hour cook, including rest time. Targeting medium rare. Wife made a garlic, chive, horseradish, cream paste it's been sitting in for 24 hours. Roast has been sitting at room temp for last 3 hours.

Merry Christmas! What's going on where you are?

No Kamado cooking for me today because I'm at the in-laws. But I did receive permission to cook the turkey! Last night we spatchcocked - and I think my mother in  law was going to have a panic attack when I conducted surgery on the bird. :-D

We also confirmed something I had suspected for a long time - her old oven runs about 50 degrees hotter than the dial setting.  Which explains the burned biscuits each Thanksgiving. :roll:

And..Land O Lakes Florida is enjoying record heat today - I think we'll hit 84.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Ya'll stay safe.

Far Southern Arizona is chilling at 44 degrees right now. (Snow is seen on the peaks of the mountains). The Turkey goes on the grill in about an hour and a half.  Arizona is the one state which does not do daylight savings time, so it is still mid-morning here.  Although I love brined birds, this one is just getting injections and rub (a bit lazy today).  A small gathering of immediate family will enjoy the bird.  

My 4.5 lb ribeye roast is all ready for the smoker. I'm using the reverse sear method that is recommended by Meathead Goldwyn of Amazingribs.com and Thermowrks as well. They have scientific reasoning behind each of the preparation steps that I have followed.

1. Leave the bones off.

2. Remove most exterior fat and silverskin.

3. Dry brine by liberal salting roast a day in advance.

4. Truss roast with twine to make the roast more uniformly round.

5. Smoke at low temp to ~115 internal.

6. Sear in a very hot oven to~130

7 Rest and slice.

Here is the pre-cook pic:

prime%20rib%20001_zpsyn2apfdh.jpg

First attempt at a Prime Rib, ever. Waffled about how early to pull it for the rest. Cooked at 225* for 4 hours, rested 30 min, seared 500* for 8 minutes. Ended up pulling at 126* and ended rest at 136*. Reverse sear went well but end product was a little too rare. Don't get me wrong, I ate 2 big cuts but next time will wait to pull it the first time at 135ish and make it more medium/rare. The day was fun though. Walked a 5k and swam in 75* pool. Tomorrow it's fishing the flats, looking for Reds.

Here's our finish today.

e02eb1fbc2907880e0da5bb1b1a5810b.jpg