coreycummings

Looking into Vision Pro C from true value, comments please?

Hello all, I don't own a Kamado yet but have been doing a ton of reading and research and I have narrowed my decision down to either a BGE Large or a Vision Pro C. Can anyone offer their opinion of the vision pro ? From what I understand the Vision Pro C (from true value) has had some minor fixes to problems that exists on the Vision Pro S (from home depot) such as the quality of the gaskets around the vents and ash tray. Thanks in advance for comments from hands on users.

Hello Corey, 

Glad to help you. I can certainly speak to both  your choice options, as my first kamado was a Vision Pro C, and my current kamado is a Large BGE, both purchased at True Value. 

Vision Pro C: 

Absolutely nothing bad to say about this wonderful grill. I learned to cook on a kamado with my Vision, and was able to turn out some fantastic meals. After about 2 years, I did move on to a BGE, but I assure you that was a matter of personal preference, rather than a statement about the Vision's quality. 

The Pro C is a great grill very convenient with the ash drawer set up. I found the electric starter port unnecessary, and hardly ever used it. The whole drawer assembly did leak air but never kept me from hold temps in a wide variety of cooks. I found the Vision's 2nd tier grate a bit cumbersome in that the way that it hooks on to the main grate makes it difficult to remove during a cook. I eventually purchased both a Ceramic Grill Works swing arm grate set up and a Ceramic Grill Store Vision AR Spider combo. I used both on the Pro C  for different cooks and found that both of them really stepped up the Visions versatility and cookability. Of the two rack systems I would definitely recommend the Vision AR Spider combo. Towards the end of my 2 years with the vision I started looking into covering the electric starter port to a permanent port for a BBQ guru temp control device, but purchased a BGE before I did that.  Here are some pics of the Vision Pro C in action.

post-3401-0-35744100-1451502874_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-24470700-1451502711_thumb.jp  

post-3401-0-23704000-1451502743_thumb.jp

The Pro C with the Ceramic Grill Store Vision AR Spider Combo and Extender

post-3401-0-05655400-1451502777_thumb.jp 

Hello Corey, 

Glad to help you. I can certainly speak to both  your choice options, as my first kamado was a Vision Pro C, and my current kamado is a Large BGE, both purchased at True Value. 

Vision Pro C: 

Absolutely nothing bad to say about this wonderful grill. I learned to cook on a kamado with my Vision, and was able to turn out some fantastic meals. After about 2 years, I did move on to a BGE, but I assure you that was a matter of personal preference, rather than a statement about the Vision's quality. 

\

Thanks a lot for the great info. 

Now that you have used the BGE what can you say you like better or worse about it? The one thing that draws me to the Vision is the ash grate for cleaning, which is also what I question since it allows excess air to be sucked in.  There is also a large price difference for accessories on vision and BGE but I don't mind paying more for better quality.

Large BGE

i decided to purchase a large BGE because after I learned to cook on a kamado I felt that I wanted a more traditional designed kamado  with a slide vent and old school looks. I went with a BGE because True Value a Gold Star dealer was just down the hill less than 5 miles from me. Another factor was that both my CGW swing Arm and my CGS AR gear fit the large BGE perfectly and I still use both pieces of equipment today.  The BGE was considerably more expensive than the Pro C so that could be a significant factor in your decision. The Vision Pro C was in the high $500's and the Large BGE was about $1,300 all in, along  with a rolling table. 

The BGE is also a wonderful grill. It really holds temp well and cooks like a dream. I truly enjoy cooking on it and just plain love the way it looks. Here are some pics of my Egg in action.

post-3401-0-44075700-1451504696_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-28489200-1451504730_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-48641600-1451504762_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-90924400-1451504796_thumb.jp

post-3401-0-74602800-1451504830_thumb.jp 

Conclusion:

Both grills are wonderful and cook amazing food. I can not determine any difference in the food that comes off both of them. I enjoyed cooking on the Vision and I currently enjoy cooking on the BGE. My preference is for the BGE but that does not refer in anyway to lesser quality where the Vision is concerned. It is like seeing two beautiful girls and asking one of them to dance. 

In the end, it comes down to what you are looking for, what you like, and what you can see yourself cooking on for a long time down the road. 

Happy cooking and have fun with your search for a kamado grill. 

Hope this helps you, without influencing your decision. 

I have a pro c I learnt on close to 5 years ago and 2 KJs (JR and Big). All are great grills. There are some quirks with the vision pro c as you noted but nothing you can't overcome. Just be patient as the learning curve is a little steeper IMHO with the leaky tray. Also, the fire burns front to back because of the vent placement so I usually light from the back of the grill.

I still use the Vision. In fact I plan on cooking on it and the big joe today for a NYE party we are hosting.

Chicken satay and Mediterranean chicken. 14 butterflied chicken breasts won't fit on one grill. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.