Eaglescoutjb

KJ Classic lid won't open

I did a high heat burn last night on the KJ Classic. The highest temp it reached was 800. I went to check on the grill this morning and the lid won't open. It's stuck good! Could the gaskets have melted and "glued" the lid shut? I don't want to pry the lid open and damage the ceramic.

Any others have experience with this?

it can happen on those high heat burns.

Use a putty knife or a butter knife and find a spot on the side and carefully work it around until it opens.

You might also try to drop some fire starter cubes down the top or in the bottom to generate some heat and the lid might release that way.

I did a high heat burn last night on the KJ Classic. The highest temp it reached was 800. I went to check on the grill this morning and the lid won't open. It's stuck good! Could the gaskets have melted and "glued" the lid shut? I don't want to pry the lid open and damage the ceramic.

Any others have experience with this?

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/25376-first-time-ive-had-to-deal-with-a-frozen-lid/?hl=%2Bfrozen+%2Blid

If you spilled anything on the gasket, BBQ sauce. Chicken juice, ect. The organic matter can cook the gaskets together.

Or if it is really cold, water could freeze them together.

If you can get a putty knife between the gaskets you might be able to work your way around and separate them.

This has happened to me twice. The gaskets are fused together. Mine pulled apart like Velcro.

If you can find the line where the two meet you probably can separate them with a very thin and stiff putty knife. With me both times i ended up scraping the gasket off when trying this.

The first time i used mine with out the gasket for about four months with out any problems. I put the second one on after a wind came up and drove the temp up to 500 from 400.

My thoughts are  if you do a lot of felt line direct cooking of something fatty like chicken--- then the gaskets soak up grease. Mine both times were oily to the toutch when I did a burn off.. It seems that if the air is greasy from burning off in the coals ---the gasket can soak up this over a period of time.  The felt seems to work as a sponge.

Weekly burn offs  and doing high heat pizza cooks where the dome is opened while hot might prevent this.

I have had a Cotronics gasket on mine for about 8 months and it does not show any signs of grease soaking. Possibly because it does not have the sponge or wick like properties of the felt.

Is it cold where you live?  If so, try lighting a starter cube in the bottom vent, the heat will release the lid if its frozen shut.  Perhaps try that first before potentially damaging your gasket.

If its not frozen, then as Mewantkj has said, you may have food gluing the lid shut.

I appreciate all the advice.

I live in west central Florida so it's not cold.

I tried lighting a small fire inside the bottom vent but couldn't get the temp above 100. There is no lump in the fire bowl.

I'll try a putty knife and utility knife a little later.

I'll update my progress later.

Thanks again.

I appreciate all the advice.

I live in west central Florida so it's not cold.

I tried lighting a small fire inside the bottom vent but couldn't get the temp above 100. There is no lump in the fire bowl.

I'll try a putty knife and utility knife a little later.

I'll update my progress later.

Thanks again.

I tried the fire route also. You can make a pile on the grate by filling from the top and either lite a fire cube or add a lit chimney. In both of my cases. The two surfaces were completely dry and stuck together. Heat did not have any effect.

If you use a good quality thin Spackle knife or taping knife---you will get it open. Just go all the way around.

You can cook on it just fine. When you install the new gasket---you will degrease it any way.

I got the lid open this morning. I used a utility razor to loosen it a bit and a stiff putty knife to pry it open. No damage to the ceramic. The gasket is shot but I'm not going to replace it right away.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

I ran without a gasket for months.  

1) try lighting your joe and see how stable the temp is, you might still have a seal.

2) if you remove your gasket, you might have to loosen your bands and realign your dome/base.  

I got the lid open this morning. I used a utility razor to loosen it a bit and a stiff putty knife to pry it open. No damage to the ceramic. The gasket is shot but I'm not going to replace it right away.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

I cooked for months and almost did not put on a new gasket.I doubt ou will have any problems.

It seemed to me that the way the gasket sits behind the bands---well I never could find the point where they both touched. So I ended slicing where it glued to the ceramic.

The gaskets themselves will not fuse together under heat.  Spillage on the gaskets from cooks can cause this to happen.  If you spill stuff on your gaskets, especially sauces that contain sugar, it's a good idea to clean as much of it off as possible with a wet sponge shortly after the grill cools.