The ‘Smokehowze’ Sausage Making & Charcuterie Guide On Information, Equipment, Materials & Supplies

Smokehowze

The ‘Smokehowze’ Sausage Making & Charcuterie Guide

On Information, Equipment, Materials & Supplies

Attached below is a PDF Document that encompasses the following:

This guide on information, equipment, materials, and other items useful for the home production of sausages and cured meats is divided into the following sections:

I.        Some Useful Books on Sausage & Charcuterie

II.       Some Sausage Making Websites

III.      Some Typical Sausage Supplies & Sources

IV.      Some Typical Sausage Equipment & Sources

V.       Some Typical Sources for Sausage & Meat Curing Environmental Control & Measuring

VI.      Some Smoke Generation Approaches

VII.     Personal & Food Safety/Handling & Sanitizing

VIII.    Storage Ideas

IX.      Some Sausage Related Ideas from ‘Smokehowze’

X.       Some Useful References

The material compiled here represents a selection of items that I use and/or have purchased from the various suppliers as indicated, during the course of pursuing and expanded my participation in the artisan world of sausage making and charcuterie.   As I cast about the web and various forums learning and seeking supplies and materials I realized that I was making notes for myself on where I got various items especially those that are recurring purchases.

It is not necessarily a definitive guide but may be of use to those entering this exciting and tasteful hobby.  I originally started this guide for my own reference but recently expanded it to assist a number of relatives and friends who have decided to embark on this journey after enjoying the results of my sausage and meat curing forays. 

I apologize if the organization of this material might be better within some sections but given the topic/areas to cover it seems that there is not a single best way to present the information other than just put it out there.  In some cases, I have added my observations and ideas based on my experiences where it makes sense.

Where prices are indicated in this guide they should be considered as representative only and are only provided to give an appreciation to the reader on the approximate cost of an item.

You can certainly get started with a subset of what is presented here (I sure did) but over time may find much of this useful to make the hobby more enjoyable and efficient as well as to widen your horizons in the hobby.

I consider this guide a ‘work-in progress’.   I hope you find this useful in your endeavors.  Do not be afraid to jump into this area of cooking.  You can make really good sausage in simple ways.

~~ Smokehowze ~~

PS.  If this post and the attachment is judged to be useful and informative, John may wish to make it a PINNED post in this section of the Forum.

The ‘Smokehowze’ Sausage Making & Charcuterie Guide On Information, Equipment, Materials & Supplies (V1 1-2-16).pdf

Just now downloaded it and cruised through it. You did a really great job with that. You obviously put some time and effort into that document.

Not sure if or when I'll ever get into making sausage but wanted this just in case. Please be sure to let us know if you post later updated versions.

Just now downloaded it and cruised through it. You did a really great job with that. You obviously put some time and effort into that document.

Not sure if or when I'll ever get into making sausage but wanted this just in case. Please be sure to let us know if you post later updated versions.

Thanks CK...  One simple approach is to just buy store ground pork (make sure it is just pure ground "fatty" pork with no water or solutions added) and use that as your starting point for bulk sausage or to possibly case it using a simple stuffer.  

You can make some really good personalized sausage in bulk form for many cooking uses such as a breakfast sausage, an Italian sausage, Mexican chorizo, boudin, etc.  Essentially zero investment in equipment and a good place to start with only a small investment of time in making it.