wtd03

Easiest way to transport a Big Joe

As mentioned above you will need to get some help. If I were you I would take it out of the box to load it up. Take you a few towels to lay over the rim of the base and put the dome in it upside down for transport if it doesn't come fully assembled in the box. I was able to unload it with the help of one other person. We put the nest at the back of the van and lifted it up and moved it the six inches or so into the nest. The whole time I was worrying that we might drop it. I would have felt more comfortable with more people. :)

You are not going to be able to do it by yourself in the box and most probably not even if even broken down into individual components. The base part is just too heavy and too large in size to easily handle. BTW...The base is also not meant to be lifted by the hinge bands. You don't want to risk an accident with Joe or injury to yourself. While it is well packed in the box it is not meant to be slid out of a vehicle and plunked down on the ground like one might successfully do with other large boxed items. Get help and be safe. We would rather see you cooking and not hurting!

I agree. Definitely not worth risking injury to yourself or damaging the grill.

You should rent a large van or small cube truck with a ramp. Better safe than sorry. I brought mine home in the bed of my Truck. Put ramps under the slots in the skid and slid it down them onto the garage floor with the help of one person using a leveraged process with the ramps, box and bed of the truck.

If you had a rolling large dolly you would be able to get it out of a truck with a ramp, or hydraulic lift gate, then the large flat dolly would help you get it to the rear yard, if the pavement allows. If not, put some plywood down, multiple pieces and move them as you go along if the terrain is rough.

For the money it costs to rent a vehicle, you can avoid all the potential disasters by trying to squeeze it in and out of a smaller vehicle. Plus its better to transport it in its original packaging on the skid.

Hindsight is 20/20, nothing may happen, but if something does, the $50 it would have cost to rent a suitable vehicle would seem like peanuts compared to all the headaches and delays in getting up and running.

My 0.02 cents

You  are not going to be able to do it by yourself in the box  and most probably not even if even broken down into individual components.  The base part is just too heavy and too large in size to easily handle.  BTW...The base is also not meant to be lifted by the hinge bands.   You don't want to risk an accident with Joe or injury to yourself.    While it is well packed in the box it is not meant to be slid out of a vehicle and plunked down on the ground like one might successfully do with other large boxed items.   Get help and be safe.  We would rather see you cooking and not hurting!

Agreed with this. I'm 6'5", 250#+, and I wouldn't have attempted to do this on my own. I had one [also relatively large] buddy and we were able to manage, just the two of us.

You could very easily injury yourself or damage your grill if you try to do this without any help. 

You are not going to be able to do it by yourself in the box and most probably not even if even broken down into individual components. The base part is just too heavy and too large in size to easily handle. BTW...The base is also not meant to be lifted by the hinge bands. You don't want to risk an accident with Joe or injury to yourself. While it is well packed in the box it is not meant to be slid out of a vehicle and plunked down on the ground like one might successfully do with other large boxed items. Get help and be safe. We would rather see you cooking and not hurting!

Agreed with this. I'm 6'5", 250#+, and I wouldn't have attempted to do this on my own. I had one [also relatively large] buddy and we were able to manage, just the two of us.

You could very easily injury yourself or damage your grill if you try to do this without any help.

Similar here... Close enough for the +1

Ok so the minivan should work. What about getting it out for those that put the box in the van? Did you have a forklift type device to get it out of the van or just a bunch of help. Im afraid I may be moving this by myself when I get home. I have a refrigerator dolly at home so hopefully I can put it on there to get it into the backyard

The wife and I managed to get it out, but we did use a couple 2x4s as a ramp to slide it down on to a dolly,

It is VERY heavy if you move it in the box, we really should have had a third body as a safety.

Well, guess I'm lucky to be strong man. I have loaded several kamado into the cab of my pick up. BY myself. First one heavier than the last one, last one felt the heaviest. Carrying in box would be easiest, with help. Box is less awkward to handle, even by yourself.