Brisket this weekend. Need advice

Jeffclk

I inject with broth to keep it moist. A water pan can't hurt, but I don't think it's going to make a noticible difference. Most important thing imho is after spending all night cooking, make sure you don't ruin it by cutting with the grain. Always cut against the grain. Save me some brisket.

I am cooking a brisket this weekend on my Big Joe. I have watched John's videos and several on YouTube. John does not use a water pan, but several (usually a BGE) video did use a water pan. Any recommendations?

I never use a water pan, but my brisket only stays on my Classic for 3 hrs. I marinate my brisket for 24 hrs in Claudes Brisket Marinade (Amazon) and inject with the same. I smoke the brisket 3 hrs at 225 on my Classic Joe and then place the brisket in an aluminum pan that has a layer of caramelized onions and another bottle of Claudes. Cover with foil and cook 5 hrs at 225 in the oven. Your internal temp will be close to 195-200 range, ready to go. I like this method because when I know dinner is at "x" time, I can cook accordingly. Cooking the entire time Kamado style can be a crapshoot--5 hrs, 8 hrs, who knows? The marinade is amazing and you won't be disappointed. This is based off Johns Atlanta brisket, except after 3 hrs (155 internal temp) I go to the oven. Good luck! Sorry so long winded.

I have never used a water pan, a drip pan is a must and I assume that adding liquid ( not necesarely water) wont hurt a bit.

I too will be cooking a brisket this. Weekend, I will try www.grillgirl.com beter than sex brisket, see how it turns out.

Z

Not long ago done my 1st brisket and used a water pan. Can't say it helped, can't say it didn't, but next time I won't but probably will inject or marinate overnight

Start early and be patient. Use butcher paper and wrap after cooking and put in a cooler and you can hold it for hours so give yourself plenty of time

Also, I used the whole of the point for "burnt ends" and cooked with BBQ sauce in a foil tray until sticky. I am now adored by everyone and now apparently a BBQ God. TBF I almost fell in love with myself after trying some.

Oh and don't fret about the IT. Take it off when probe tender and nothing else.

Oh yes and as mentioned. Pay attention to the grain and cut across it, not with it. The flat and point grain with be in different directions. An excellently cooked brisket can be ruined by cutting with the grain.

Sent from Tapatalk

Another suggestion, I always wrap if smoking a select brisket when it hits the stall approx. 170 degrees. Choice I have done both ways, if this is your first brisket I would suggest wrapping in foil or butcher paper at the stall and finish until it probes tender, between 195 - 205. Be patient and enjoy.