• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

Greetings Gurus!

I know some of you have seen the existing thread on The SteakAger but I wanted to start a different thread and give you a more complete look at this product and some more information about it...

What is it?  

The SteakAger

The SteakAger is a home dry aging chamber that lives inside your existing refrigerator to produce high quality dry aged meats.  Here are some photos of the unit:

post-1-0-26143100-1452312332_thumb.jpg

Front on view...

post-1-0-27242500-1452312340_thumb.jpg

Angle Side View...

post-1-0-27063100-1452312349_thumb.jpg

Another angle side view...

post-1-0-02524900-1452312358_thumb.jpg

The SteakAger has a small LCD display on top that shows the temperature inside the chamber in F and C as well as the humidity and the amount of time the chamber has been running.  There is a bluetooth app being released in the future that will give some control of this LCD.

post-1-0-29923400-1452312367_thumb.jpg

There is a small UV lamp inside for the purpose of helping keep a bacteria free environment inside the chamber...

post-1-0-78937800-1452312374_thumb.jpg

Interior width...

post-1-0-86752700-1452312381_thumb.jpg

Interior height...

post-1-0-57065800-1452312391_thumb.jpg

Interior depth...

I am really excited about the possibilities with this product.  I love dry aged beef and I think this device will be an improvement over the dry age bags I have used in the past for dry aging beef at home.  This unit is the first of three models that will be produced.  This unit is also the smallest of the three.  My Man Cave refrigerator is a hand-me-down side by side refrigerator freezer so the fridge side is not very wide.  THIS unit will sit facing foward in my side-by-side.  Anything larger would NOT fit facing foward.  It may fit a larger one facing to the side though but a normal non side-by-side fridge would be the best solution for the larger models coming out later in the year.  

This unit is capable of holding some larger sized roasts up to about 13 pounds depending on the shape of the roast.  I picked up a NY Strip roast last night to dry age in this SteakAger.  It weighs about 12.5 pounds and I am going to need to trim a couple inches from one end to make it fit here.  Not a big deal.. I will have one or two non-dry-aged steaks off this roast :)  I will be starting that roast in the SteakAger in the next day or so and I will highlight that entire dry-aging process in this thread, so stay tuned!

post-1-0-01895600-1452316218_thumb.jpg

12.5 pound Choice grade certified angus beef NY Strip Roast from Sam's Club...

post-1-0-08660100-1452316231_thumb.jpg

This roast is a little too long to fit in this SteakAger as a whole...

post-1-0-90131900-1452316237_thumb.jpg

I decided to cut it in half and use both shelves since it seems to fit...

post-1-0-50526800-1452316244_thumb.jpg

This is the entire unit sitting in the fridge side of my Man Cave side-by-side refrigerator/freezer.  Not much room to spare but it fits!

This roast went in at 12:05am on Saturday, January 09.  I will post a photo of the LCD panel display tomorrow after it has a chance to stabilize the humidity inside the SteakAger.  The computer controller monitors the humidity and runs the fan as needed to control that humidity inside the SteakAger for optimum dry aging humidity.  The temperature is controlled by the refrigerator itself.

John, maybe you can get a small piece of wood and cut it to size to support that top shelf. I'm thinking of 3/8 inch dowel that you can cut and then set it up under the top shelf and let it rest on the base of the unit underneath the bottom shelf. Looks really flimsy with that hunk of meat sitting on there! You could put a slot in the top as well to seat the center cross rods properly. Just a thought.

post-9766-0-70628700-1452351623_thumb.pn

John, maybe you can get a small piece of wood and cut it to size to support that top shelf. I'm thinking of 3/8 inch dowel that you can cut and then set it up under the top shelf and let it rest on the base of the unit underneath the bottom shelf. Looks really flimsy with that hunk of meat sitting on there! You could put a slot in the top as well to seat the center cross rods properly. Just a thought.

I really don't think the extra support is needed.  The rack sags a little but it's not causing a problem that would make me want to build a modification for the device.

I think placing this in a spare "Man Cave" fridge would work best. I can almost hear the response most would get from the better half when they got a drill out and headed to the new fridge. I don't think the response would be friendly.

I agree.  This product is too large to go in most kitchen refrigerators with the other stuff that would be in there already.  

I went back to check on this about 14 hours into the process.......

post-1-0-06163800-1452369527_thumb.jpg

I have looked at this LCD multiple times since I started it and the humidity level has been anywhere between 65-85% at various times.  The temperature has been fairly consistent so I tweaked the thermostat on the refrigerator a little to bring it down some....

post-1-0-19988400-1452369535_thumb.jpg

I can already see the visual results of just a short dry aging time...