• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
John Setzler

First Look - Review - The SteakAger

76 posts in this topic

Greetings Gurus!

I know some of you have seen the existing thread on The SteakAger but I wanted to start a different thread and give you a more complete look at this product and some more information about it...

What is it?  

The SteakAger

The SteakAger is a home dry aging chamber that lives inside your existing refrigerator to produce high quality dry aged meats.  Here are some photos of the unit:

post-1-0-26143100-1452312332_thumb.jpg

Front on view...

post-1-0-27242500-1452312340_thumb.jpg

Angle Side View...

post-1-0-27063100-1452312349_thumb.jpg

Another angle side view...

post-1-0-02524900-1452312358_thumb.jpg

The SteakAger has a small LCD display on top that shows the temperature inside the chamber in F and C as well as the humidity and the amount of time the chamber has been running.  There is a bluetooth app being released in the future that will give some control of this LCD.

post-1-0-29923400-1452312367_thumb.jpg

There is a small UV lamp inside for the purpose of helping keep a bacteria free environment inside the chamber...

post-1-0-78937800-1452312374_thumb.jpg

Interior width...

post-1-0-86752700-1452312381_thumb.jpg

Interior height...

post-1-0-57065800-1452312391_thumb.jpg

Interior depth...

I am really excited about the possibilities with this product.  I love dry aged beef and I think this device will be an improvement over the dry age bags I have used in the past for dry aging beef at home.  This unit is the first of three models that will be produced.  This unit is also the smallest of the three.  My Man Cave refrigerator is a hand-me-down side by side refrigerator freezer so the fridge side is not very wide.  THIS unit will sit facing foward in my side-by-side.  Anything larger would NOT fit facing foward.  It may fit a larger one facing to the side though but a normal non side-by-side fridge would be the best solution for the larger models coming out later in the year.  

This unit is capable of holding some larger sized roasts up to about 13 pounds depending on the shape of the roast.  I picked up a NY Strip roast last night to dry age in this SteakAger.  It weighs about 12.5 pounds and I am going to need to trim a couple inches from one end to make it fit here.  Not a big deal.. I will have one or two non-dry-aged steaks off this roast :)  I will be starting that roast in the SteakAger in the next day or so and I will highlight that entire dry-aging process in this thread, so stay tuned!

dsarcher, Boomer, Freddyj and 2 others like this

What's all the cords for?

For power.  The white cord connects to the back of the SteakAger.  It then connects to an AC wall adapter.   The cord has to run through the seal on the refrigerator door to outside power.

post-1-0-01895600-1452316218_thumb.jpg

12.5 pound Choice grade certified angus beef NY Strip Roast from Sam's Club...

post-1-0-08660100-1452316231_thumb.jpg

This roast is a little too long to fit in this SteakAger as a whole...

post-1-0-90131900-1452316237_thumb.jpg

I decided to cut it in half and use both shelves since it seems to fit...

post-1-0-50526800-1452316244_thumb.jpg

This is the entire unit sitting in the fridge side of my Man Cave side-by-side refrigerator/freezer.  Not much room to spare but it fits!

This roast went in at 12:05am on Saturday, January 09.  I will post a photo of the LCD panel display tomorrow after it has a chance to stabilize the humidity inside the SteakAger.  The computer controller monitors the humidity and runs the fan as needed to control that humidity inside the SteakAger for optimum dry aging humidity.  The temperature is controlled by the refrigerator itself.

Freddyj, smoker08, ckreef and 2 others like this

Looks interesting, look at that rack bow.  Does it have a removable tray for cleaning?

I agree that the rack could be a little stronger.  The bottom tray is not removable.  The rack has to come out and it can be wiped down.

philpom likes this

John, maybe you can get a small piece of wood and cut it to size to support that top shelf. I'm thinking of 3/8 inch dowel that you can cut and then set it up under the top shelf and let it rest on the base of the unit underneath the bottom shelf. Looks really flimsy with that hunk of meat sitting on there! You could put a slot in the top as well to seat the center cross rods properly. Just a thought.

post-9766-0-70628700-1452351623_thumb.pn

I think placing this in a spare "Man Cave" fridge would work best. I can almost hear the response most would get from the better half when they got a drill out and headed to the new fridge. I don't think the response would be friendly.

John Setzler likes this

John, maybe you can get a small piece of wood and cut it to size to support that top shelf. I'm thinking of 3/8 inch dowel that you can cut and then set it up under the top shelf and let it rest on the base of the unit underneath the bottom shelf. Looks really flimsy with that hunk of meat sitting on there! You could put a slot in the top as well to seat the center cross rods properly. Just a thought.

I really don't think the extra support is needed.  The rack sags a little but it's not causing a problem that would make me want to build a modification for the device.

I think placing this in a spare "Man Cave" fridge would work best. I can almost hear the response most would get from the better half when they got a drill out and headed to the new fridge. I don't think the response would be friendly.

I agree.  This product is too large to go in most kitchen refrigerators with the other stuff that would be in there already.  

I went back to check on this about 14 hours into the process.......

post-1-0-06163800-1452369527_thumb.jpg

I have looked at this LCD multiple times since I started it and the humidity level has been anywhere between 65-85% at various times.  The temperature has been fairly consistent so I tweaked the thermostat on the refrigerator a little to bring it down some....

post-1-0-19988400-1452369535_thumb.jpg

I can already see the visual results of just a short dry aging time...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mikegust90
      Please help my brisket flat dried out.  still was tender and tasted well. people enjoyed it but know there is room for improvement.https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=2rl1HIbGNKM
    • By Smokehowze
      Smoked Beef Hot Links - Trying to Replicate a Memory

Got a hankering for some smoked hot links.  I really was trying to recreate the hot sausage I used to get on po-boys in New Orleans for lunch back in the late 60's at a restaurant called Mumfrey's. The original Mumfrey's on Baronne St that closed up many many years ago.  It was a really really peppery hot and fully flavored sausage.  Delicious.    My brother and I think they were a smoked beef sausage.  And that they were deep fried for the po-boys, then split and put on the bread. It was the kind of hot sausage that just exuded a delicious hot peppery sausage odor through the paper wrapping on the po-boy.  That you could smell from 10 feet away and identofty it immediately. The kind that takes two 12 oz original New Orleans  Barq's root beers to eat.  Yumm...  

Here is what son and I made last week in my replication project from a recipe I created after much thought and a lot of research into various styles of a hot link.  The hot paprika used was imported Spanish Chiquilin I originally bought for a Spanish chorizo.  It is a really good paprika.  Figured imported paprika not what was used in the Mumfrey's version but it was what I had on hand.  Why not?

The recipe:

BEEF CHUCK ROAST   5.00 pounds 2267.5 grams                         Volume   Weight (grams) % Kosher Salt (Diamond Brand) 7.02 tsp 21.8 grams 0.96% Ground Black Pepper   4.54 tsp 10.2 grams 0.45% Ground White Pepper   1.28 tsp 3.4 grams 0.15% Crushed Red Pepper Flakes 2.70 tsp 5.7 grams 0.25% Ground Cayenne Pepper 5.03 tsp 11.6 grams 0.51% Hot Paprika (Spanish Chiquilin) 8.38 tsp 19.3 grams 0.85% Granulated Garlic   3.61 tsp 13.2 grams 0.58%               Granulated White Sugar 1.63 tsp 7.9 grams 0.35% Cure #1 (Pink Salt)   1.00 tsp 5.2 grams 0.229% Water        1.0  to 1.50 cup        
      Links were aged for a day in the fridge.  Then smoked (pecan wood) to 140 degrees internal over 5 hrs (using smoker temps from 140 to 165 degrees) and finished in a 170 degree poaching bath to 155 internal.  This is a fully cooked ready to eat product.

Links ready for overnight aging in the fridge

Out of fridge and into my converted kitchen oven smoker.  Notice the color change from the fridge aging.

Some nice pecan wood smoke

Tasting Notes:  They do have a nice hot link kick just as they are. Good flavor. Good gently warmed, pan fried or grilled.  They are going fast.  Son likes them a lot.  Me too.  Will be lucky to have a few pounds left for the freezer.  Might also consider the addition of some onion powder  (probably about 0.3% by weight) in a batch.

Pretty Sausage - Let's have a midnight snack

Into the pan. Wonderful aroma.

No french bread on hand (hey its a midnight sudden snack attack!)  So we will make do with some Martin's potato bread and Hellmann's mayo of course.

The Verdict
      They are not yet Mumfrey's hot.   The overall flavor is close.  My next batch will probably see the onion powder added and more of the black pepper, cayenne, and hot paprika to kick it up into the 'fire link" zone - maybe 20 to 30% more of each than what I used.  Gotta think hard if they might have has some mustard powder in the original.  Wonder if they had some pork in the mix??    Humm.....   Anyway, I  just gotta push the envelop on my taste buds almost into overload but not lose the flavor for the heat element or hide the sausage in pepper.   A journey in progress.  And internet searches are no help.  Barely even a mention of the restaurant and nothing on their menu items for any guidance.  

I am close in the replication, but not there yet.  A good result for a first try.  And some good eating as it is in the current recipe I put together. Well, anyway it will be a fun trip and more good eating for sure along the way.  And the memories will still be alive. Even after almost 50 years.

Enjoy!

• By DerHusker
      This Saturday I turned 60 and we had some friends over for a BBQ / potluck to commiserate errrr I mean celebrate. Friday I pulled 2 Tri-Tips and 3 large steaks out of the freezer to thaw. (1 - 1.75 lb. T-bone, 1 - 2.25 lb. Porterhouse and a monster 2.5 lb.Tt-bone) I seasoned up the Tri-Tips in the my usual way with Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, steak seasoning and some fresh minced Rosemary from the yard.

For the steaks I just rubbed them down with Worcestershire sauce and then some steak seasoning. This is the Porterhouse.

Once our guests arrived I didn’t have much time to take pictures so these are all taken with my phone camera and a little hit and miss. I put all the meat on my kamado. It was setup for indirect cooking and was at 300 degrees as we all wanted to eat quickly. (Normally would’ve done them at 250) Once most of them were all at around 115 to 120 IT I took them off and covered with foil. The monster T-bone took a while longer to get up to temp so it was left on the kamado for another 2 to 3 minutes.

I had set-up my Jumbo Joe in a separate location for searing. Here are the 2 Tri-Tips being seared.

Here is the Porterhouse and the smaller T-bone waiting to be seared.

I had set-up a craving station right there on one of the tables so everyone could get some meat as quickly as possible. I sliced up one of the Tri-Tips and then the monster T-bone which had been seared by that time. That meat all went fast so I sliced up the other Tri-Tip which is shown here.

And finally I was able to fix myself a plate of some Tri-Tip, steak, potato and macaroni salad.

Everyone had a great time and I’m now officially old.

• By DerHusker
      I’ve made this dish 4 times before and it is my go to dish using a pot as it is my wife’s favorite thing I make. We first tasted Boeuf Bourguignon (or Beef Burgundy) while staying at a B & B in Carmel. They had a local restaurant bring in samples of their signature dishes. We enjoyed it very much so I tried to recreate it at home although my version is more of a stew compared to the original. I apologize in advance for the amount of pictures.
      (I you want the recipe you can find it in the link below:
      https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/9105-chucky-2-the-sequel/#comment-93791)
      Here are most of the ingredients.

Chuck roast trimmed and cut into approximate 1” cubes.

Into a bowl with fresh ground salt and black pepper.

And now the bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon for a 2 hour bath.

While they were getting to know each other I prepped the veggies. First I peeled the pearl onions by blanching them first for 30 seconds.

Then I cut the root end off of each one

and pinched the top

to get the body to pop out.

Here’s most everything diced up for the pot.

I also cooked up 5 pieces of bacon and reserved the bacon (that I crumbled) and the grease for use later. After that I took out the meat and placed it on a bed of paper towels to dry a little.

I added some bacon grease to the pot and seared them in two batches to get a good sear on each piece.

After this I put in the diced onion until they started to sweat.

Then a tbsp. of butter and 3 tbsp. of flour and stirred.

I then poured in the wine marinate to deglaze the pot.

I let that simmer of 10 minutes and it thickened up nicely.

Now I added the Bacon crumbles, garlic, carrots, celery and the beef.

Now 1 32 oz. carton of beef broth, a couple shakes of dried thyme, a couple shakes of ground all spice, 1 tsp. of Kitchen Bouquet and 10 springs of fresh thyme.

I placed this on the kamado and brought it to a boil.

Now I covered and moved over to the indirect side to simmer for 2 hours at 325 degrees.

After 90 minutes I add the potatoes.

After 2 hours I brown the shallots.

And add them and the pearl onions, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes.

I then add the parsley, stir and simmer for another 15 minutes. I moved it over to my gasser so I could bake my biscuits.

Here are the biscuits in the kamado.

After 5 minutes I removed the lid.

The Boeuf Bourguignon is done and so are the biscuits.

Plated shots with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon and some flowers as well as Flower from Bambi. (My wife’s idea).

Superbe, Magnifque!
    • By Smokehowze
      Mother's Day Steak 

Just the way Mrs Smokehowze likes her steak.  

And plenty to go around - today and tomorrow ....

Boneless Costco Ribeyes,  Room Temperature.  15 minute heavy kosher salt and fresh ground coarse black pepper rub. 600+ degrees on Big Red Joe. 3-3-2-min + 30 sec cook.  Removed at 110-115 internal.  8 minute rest.  Hickory wood smoke.  Son has taken over as the steak man!

Kids did the sides.  Interesting and very tasty dishes that worked well with the steak

A stove top hot slaw. Cabbage, onions, garlic & mushrooms pan sauteed with butter till just tender with some seasonings.  

An oven gratin of sweet potatoes and white potatoes in a 'fry' cut. Onions sauteed in butter with garlic. Chicken broth, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and sage. 

To quote Mrs Smokehowze  "Yummm...."