John, are you getting any odors from the aging process inside the refrigerator? I don't think that I would care to age meat in my kitchen refrigerator. I know that you are using and non-dedicated fridge, and to me that would be the way to go.

I havent noticed any yet but i am only about 12 days in. I wou,d not expect odors this early in the process. I do have an open box of bakimg soda in the fridge though...

John, are you getting any odors from the aging process inside the refrigerator? I don't think that I would care to age meat in my kitchen refrigerator. I know that you are using and non-dedicated fridge, and to me that would be the way to go.

I havent noticed any yet but i am only about 12 days in. I wou,d not expect odors this early in the process. I do have an open box of bakimg soda in the fridge though...

http://lifehacker.com/5583068/kitchen-myths-you-can-safely-leave-behind

I *believe* the concern is more about the huge hunk of meat picking up odors (and flavors) from the other stuff in the fridge. Which is not good...

I *believe* the concern is more about the huge hunk of meat picking up odors (and flavors) from the other stuff in the fridge. Which is not good...

It's actually the opposite of that :)  

It's actually the opposite of that :)

What John said. After a week or so a crust forms and then the smell disapates.

Aging meat gives off very strung odors. I was raised around a locker plant, and you never forget the smell.

Yes gives off a strong odor but only for the first week or so - plus we're not talking about a huge meat locker just a primal or two at any one time.

Aging meat gives off very strung odors. I was raised around a locker plant, and you never forget the smell.

Yes gives off a strong odor but only for the first week or so - plus we're not talking about a huge meat locker just a primal or two at any one time.

True ckreef, BUT in a very small and confined area. There is suppose to be some kind of odor killer from what John told me. It maybe some kind of a IR light of some kind!?!?!?

The SteakAger has a UV light that is supposed to help with that.. it's part of the air circulation system.. maybe that is also part of why I haven't smelled anything. Some SteakAger owners have noticed odors though, so it could happen.

Doesn't it also have some kind charcoal filter to help with that?

The SteakAger has a UV light that is supposed to help with that.. it's part of the air circulation system.. maybe that is also part of why I haven't smelled anything. Some SteakAger owners have noticed odors though, so it could happen.

Doesn't it also have some kind charcoal filter to help with that?

It does but its so small that I can't see how it could be particularly effective.

The SteakAger has a UV light that is supposed to help with that.. it's part of the air circulation system.. maybe that is also part of why I haven't smelled anything.  Some SteakAger owners have noticed odors though, so it could happen.

I have a UV type light on my hot tub that acts as an "ozinator" (a word coined by the manufacturer). I don't know exactly how it works, but I know from owning prior hot tubs that it really reduces the amount of chemicals needed in the tub.