Applewood Smoked Canadian Bacon

John Setzler

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, And Curing

by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn

The recipe for the curing brine is as follows:

4 liters of water
350 grams of kosher salt
225 grams sugar
42 grams pink curing salt (Instacure #1 or Prage Powder #1)
1 large bunch fresh sage
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed

1 3-4 pound pork loin

Directions:

Place half of the water in a large stock pot.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Dissolve the salt and sugar over medium heat and bring the brine to a slow simmer.  Let simmer for about 10 minutes with the lid on.  (It's a good idea to either chill the remaining 2 liters of water in advance or have 2 kilograms of ice prepared for the cooling.)

Remove the brine from the heat and let cool.  Add the chilled water OR the ice to completely chill the brine.  Put the brine in the fridge until its below 40 degrees.  Add the pork loin to the brine and keep in the cold brine for 48 hours.  

After 48 hours, remove the pork from the brine and set on a rack in the refrigerator for another 12 to 24 hours.

Prepare your smoker for indirect smoking at around 200 degrees.  Place the pork loin on the smoker and let it stay there until you reach an internal temperature of 150 degrees in the pork.  

Remove from the smoker and let cool on the counter tented loosely with foil for 60-90 minutes.  Place in a ziploc bag and refrigerate until completely chilled.

Slice and enjoy!

First, thanks, John, for another great video tutorial! Second, this looks delicious, and I know my wife will be happy to see the results because she loved Canadian Bacon. 

Finally, I have a question... at around the 4:16 mark in the video right before you start the fire, I noticed that the fire ring in your Classic looks different. Like it has ridged sides and 4 cutouts for the Divide and Conquer system. Is this new, or is it a trick of light?

Thanks again! Looks like it turned out very well!

First, thanks, John, for another great video tutorial! Second, this looks delicious, and I know my wife will be happy to see the results because she loved Canadian Bacon. 

Finally, I have a question... at around the 4:16 mark in the video right before you start the fire, I noticed that the fire ring in your Classic looks different. Like it has ridged sides and 4 cutouts for the Divide and Conquer system. Is this new, or is it a trick of light?

Thanks again! Looks like it turned out very well!

Its a prototype kamado joe cast iron firebox system that i am testing. There is another thread in the kamado joe forum about that...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I did this recipe I found that 4 liters was too much brine for my 3 lb loin. Next time I am planning to cure and smoke a full 10-11 lb loin. I plan to cut it into 3rds and them all together in the 4 liters of brine in a slightly bigger container. I hope it works out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      I had just finished doing a coarse grind on a chuckie for burgers when I started thinking about sausage.  I decided right then to do a test run of a single 1 pound cotto salami round.

I used what I had on hand.  @Smokehowze was one of my sources of information.

Smoked salt
      Tender quick
      Sugar
      Cracked black pepper
      Powdered milk
      Ground coriander 
      Cardamon
      garlic powder
      Water

I also inoculated it with a 7 strain germ.  This is something I want to play more with.

I didn't have any casings so I used a Mason jar.  Once mixed and packed it sat in the fridge for a few days to mature and cure.

I cooked it in the sous vide at 165 for about 3 hours to an internal temp of 155.  Let it rest for a few hours, dried it off and vacuum sealed it, back in the fridge for almost a week to mellow.

Fresh out of the water after the rest

After 5 days to mellow 

A few pics, my first taste.  I think I'll do a large batch for Christmas gifts.  It's tasty!

• By philpom
      Breakfast Sausage

This spice blend would work equally well for pork or beef, I used beef of the 80/20 variety.  The more fat the better.

1.5 pounds of ground meat
      3 ts dried sage
      1 3/4 ts salt
      3 ts dried basil
      1 ts ground black pepper
      2 ts onion powder
      1/2 ts dried marjoram
      1 ts crushed red pepper
      1 1/2 ts fennel seed

Combine spices only in a small bowl and mix them.  This helps make sure you get even distribution in the meat.  Then put the meat in a bowl and spread 1/3 of the spices and mix with hands until incorporated, then another 3rd, mix and finally the rest of the spice blend.  Ball the meat, cover it tightly and place in the fridge for 24 hours to allow the flavors to develop.  Next day form the meat in to 2 oz balls and press to 3/8" thick.  Grill, pan fry or roast until done and enjoy!
    • By Charcoal Addict
      We all know the impact brine can have on poultry.  There’s a lot more foods that can benefit from great brine.  The idea to brine salmon came to me while watching an episode of America’s Test Kitchen.  The ladies were pan searing salmon but I felt the brine would also have a huge impact on helping the fats to render quicker creating a moister and more tender salmon.  

I also took some additional advice and pulled the farmed salmon at 125 F.  The result was salmon perfection.  A moist flaky and buttery salmon without using any butter.  The rendered salmon fat did all the hard work

Brining creates one of the best salmon’s I’ve made in a while. 

Brine in a large container:

- 3 1/2 cups of water 
      - 1/4 cup of Dark brown sugar or Maple Syrup
      - 1/2 of full of lemon juice 
      - 1/4 of Kosher Salt

Let it sit in the fridge for for 4 hours, then cook at 300 F with Beech smoking wood until you reach an internal temp of 125 F for farmed salmon or 120 F for wild salmon 

You can see the results in the image below with with the sweet salmon fat bubbling up to the surface.  The result of brining. 

• By pathos
      got 5 lbs of spareribs for grilling tomorrow.  Meathead's Memphis dust.  the new thing that I am trying is salting the ribs overnight with a little kosher salt.  i have no idea what it is supposed to do, but I think I read it from something meathead mentioned.  I'll try and get pictures and give some feedback here later, but I was wondering if anybody else has tried to apply a bit of salt to the ribs like this for a few hours or overnight, and how did you like it, or not.
    • By djr222
      Ok have a packer brisket trimmed and in a brine for last few days, with the plan of brining for 7 days and then smoke, but have read a lot of different reports that it's better to leave in brine for over 14 days?

any one done of any advice