Greasy film around daisy wheel

parisbrownep

I live in Colorado and have the same issue with my daisy wheel. I just loosen it up with the MAPP Torch before cooks.

The unpleasant flavor could be a different issue. Are you waiting long enough after starting the grill for the smoke to change from white to a thin blue smoke before putting the meat on? If not, it will give you a tar like flavor in the meat.

They are natural firefighter cubes not charcoal the reason I said time for a pizza is to give your kamado a high heat clean out will get rid of all the gunk on your daisy wheel .sounds like you have been doing a lot of grilling .I have found the Joe is good for a week grilling then needs a burn out. As far as lump you know what W.A. stands for lol I here iron bark is supposed to be good

I have the same issue with my Daisy wheel.  It was horrible but I never experienced the taste issue you described.  I just put the daisy wheel inside of the joe after a cook and let it sit for 15 minutes at 500-600.  Its still full of gunk but it opens and closes great now.

I live in Colorado and have the same issue with my daisy wheel. I just loosen it up with the MAPP Torch before cooks.

The unpleasant flavor could be a different issue. Are you waiting long enough after starting the grill for the smoke to change from white to a thin blue smoke before putting the meat on? If not, it will give you a tar like flavor in the meat.

I do the same. There's also a lot steam produced when Kamado cooking and this water vapour freezes on the daisy wheel upon cool down. A little tap with a spatula or a few seconds with the map torch takes care of it.

I do the same. There's also a lot steam produced when Kamado cooking and this water vapour freezes on the daisy wheel upon cool down. A little tap with a spatula or a few seconds with the map torch takes care of it.

Mine was so gunked that I was tapping the daisy wheel open  with the spike and then Prying with a 10 spike through the hole to pop the slider loose.. This was in the summer. A burn off helped. If you add winter time freezing it was even worse. i never thought of the torch and that is what i use. Now i just scrape it is pretty quick but I do need to use grease cleaner on my hands. The more i cook chicken the more i am aware of how much fat is in the hot air escaping.

WD 40 will clean it perfectly.

I am sure that would work.

What about the smell and residue? 

ZEP citrus degreaser from Home Depot probably would wok too. It sure took the grease of the tile behind the stove. In just about a single wipe--- full strength.

ZEP citrus degreaser from Home Depot probably would wok too. It sure took the grease of the tile behind the stove. In just about a single wipe--- full strength.

Simple green is a nontoxic degreeser that will evaporate off.

I would not degrease the top vent, the grease is helping protect any bare metal and season it, along with providing a better airtight seal.

I would not degrease the top vent, the grease is helping protect any bare metal and season it, along with providing a better airtight seal.

^^This^^

I've never cleaned the daisy wheel. Occasionally it'll stick before I light the grill, but it doesn't take much to pop it open.

I'd agree with the folks that suggest high heat cooking a bit more often. I've never had unpleasant off flavors from fat/residue, but I'm doing pizza cooks on a semi-regular basis, which will certainly keep the inside clean.

And for low & slow, I'm typically getting my fire lit at LEAST an hour before putting food on. Low & slow requires more time to establish a good fire and to burn off the VOC's. 

Many thanks for all advice given. Have roasted pork shoulder & veg tonight at 350 & had significantly less odour. Ended with high temp burn off. Will clean out tomorrow. Also noticed advice from John on kamado Joe forum to reduce smoke flavour by keeping upper vent open and controlling temp primarily with lower vent. Worth a try next time

I agree. That is pretty much why i scrape. It is quick and leaves a greasy film. In a couple of cooks the grease will already be coming back anyway.