In the New Year: Meals with a Reduced Dietary Impact

A few recent cooks in keeping with the New Year’s view on meals with a reduced dietary impact:

Kamado Grilled Chicken Salad  with a Greek yogurt, mayo, and a vinegar element with a touch of curry as the dressing.  The dressing is flavorful but light.  Boiled egg, celery, onion, apple, and toasted pecan additions kick up the dish.  Mrs. Smokehowe hit a home run on this one. Her presentation is not bad either!

Kamado%20Grilled%20Chicken%20Salad_zpsbt

Kamado Venison Chili with a balanced profile of Chili Powder plus Chipotle, Ancho, Guajillo, Anaheim, & Jalapeno ground pepper powders in the underlying flavors along with the other typical ingredients.   This is a very lean chili in regard to fat – yet still rich in character - the pepper portfolio really complements the deer.  Thanks goes to my brother for the deer meat.

Vension%20Chili_zpsk47qggcm.jpg

Kamado Chicken Thighs with a Montreal Chicken and black pepper base flavor layer overlaid with a light coating of a honey chipotle glaze.  Latkes made with leftover “light” potato salad, pan sautéed in avocado oil.  My son did a nice job on re-purposing the potato salad for the latkes. 

Kamado%20Chicken%20Thighs_zpsbvlsxai1.jp

New Orleans Red Beans & Rice using Camellia brand beans seasoned with baked ham and the ham bone plus homemade sausage and the usual other ingredients.  Great way to add that fiber.

New%20Orleans%20Red%20Beans%20amp%20Rice

Baked Falafel on Lepinja (Bosnian Pita Bread) with tahini sauce, a Greek yogurt cucumber sauce and homemade baba ghanoush.  Falafel using canned chickpeas is so simple to make.  My son has the texture and flavor profile spot on when he makes a batch.  Baking these is as good or better than frying them.

Falafel_zpsekkeycm3.jpg

Turkey Burger with a side of oven baked sweet potato fries.   Zatarain’s creole mustard complements a dollop of mayo.  Martin's brand Dutch taste potato bread is top notch for these instead of a bun. Add lettuce, tomato, and some of my fermented garlic dill "half-sour" pickles and we are good to go.

Turkey%20Burgers_zpsipjbiler.jpg

Zucchini “Spaghetti” with Two Sauces – used a spiral slicer on the zucchini to make the spaghetti.   One sauce was tomato and homemade hot Italian venison sausage.  The other a nice garlic shrimp.  Corn bread cakes round out the dish.  Three corn cakes looked good on the plate but I only got to eat one.  Zucchini as a spaghetti substitute really works.  Glad I bought the Veggetti slicer on sale after Thanksgiving.

Zucchini%20Pasta%20with%20Two%20Sauces_z

They look delicious, some inspiring healthy looking cooks you have there. Thanks for posting this.

I second that. Everything looks so tasty especially the chili and the chicken salad. I see you posted the ingredients for the chicken salad but would you mind posting the recipe?

They look delicious, some inspiring healthy looking cooks you have there.  Thanks for posting this.  And to think I was just now researching the perfect creamed spinach recipe! 

Well in my book any good creamed spinach needs a dash of Agnostura bitters.  Just a dash maybe two depending on how much creamed spinach - no more.   It was one of my mother's cooking tricks.

They look delicious, some inspiring healthy looking cooks you have there. Thanks for posting this.

I second that. Everything looks so tasty especially the chili and the chicken salad. I see you posted the ingredients for the chicken salad but would you mind posting the recipe?

Would be happy to provide a recipe but in actuality there was no recipe.  My wife just used some of the roasted chicken and went from there.  Go with a basic chicken salad concept and I am sure you can invent something just as good. I know she toasted  the pecans in the frying pan and put a bit of seasoning (butter, salt, not sure if Worcestershire, ???) on them.  The pecans she gave me to sample were good and she had to chase me out the kitchen before I ate them all..   

Part of the trick is the right yogurt, mayo, and vinegar mix.   I think she may have actually used just a splash of a cider vinegar.  

Make the dressing separately to your taste preference and when the chicken mix is right,  combine some of each and test the taste.  Adjust as required and then go for broke.

Sorry for no real details -  hope this get you started on your own version. 

PS... The raisins on the top really went well with the chicken salad.