Joetisserie on Order - Drip Pan or No?

schek

Ordered my Joetisserie this morning and I'm excited to be getting it.  After watching several cooks by John and Andy (and also the video by Fireside), I'm wondering about the use of (or need for) a drip pan.  I understand placing the charcoal to the rear of the firebox, but what about all the grease from a chicken or a butt?  On a typical rotisserie cook would that grease just be consumed?

Thanks for your thoughts or practical experiences.

Steve

A drip pain is going to most likely cause you to be cooking indirect instead of direct on the joetisserie.  Don't sweat it.  The grease from a chicken is not that bad.  A butt is a different story... i am not sure that spining a butt is the best idea overall but I do plan to do one for a video and it will be cooked for slicing rather than for pulling... cook to a lower internal temperature... I will still be planning to cook it direct rather than indirect and I will also probably be shooting for 300 degrees.  If wanted to cook a butt to pulling temperature, you better find one of those net casings for it or it will likely fall apart on you in the grill.

Yeah, no drip pans should be placed under the meat.  My only exception is for Pork Butts over a lower heat. The juices either keep self basting as the cook spins, or the excess drips onto the coals..... hence, spit fire!

I have used side rails/half baskets  to keep the heat on the sides of the meat, as opposed to directly underneath. I'm not convinced they are that beneficial.

post-3565-0-84647700-1453435552_thumb.jp

Chuck, thanks for the link to that thread.  That may be worth a try if I get uneven cooks or excessive grease in the fire box.  I'm not sure how many butts I would try to spin but I love the taste of a "grilled" pork butt (to me, better than low and slow) that is sliced rather than pulled.

John, Andy, are you guys of the opinion that stacking the coals with no pan is the best approach?  John, you may want to conduct your butt cook before reaching a final conclusion.

Yeah, no drip pans should be placed under the meat.  My only exception is for Pork Butts over a lower heat. The juices either keep self basting as the cook spins, or the excess drips onto the coals..... hence, spit fire!

I have used side rails/half baskets  to keep the heat on the sides of the meat, as opposed to directly underneath. I'm not convinced they are that beneficial.

attachicon.gif12356673_10206343611882220_7058069148345027611_o.jpg

Andy--

Where did you find those half baskets to divide the fire?  Also, I remember several months ago reading one of your threads about some baskets you used to spin vegetables/fish....any of them you recommend and where did you purchase them?

I might give the pork shoulder a try this weekend if the weather clears up.  I have one thawing and want to make some cuban style pork and later throw together some cuban sandwiches on the Blackstone..