Sign in to follow this  
Ben S

Cold Brew Coffee

Last summer, Toronto was awash with every coffee shop pushing cold brew. I tried it at a few of the local shops ( Jimmy's, Atlas, Dark Horse ) but I still wound up preferring an iced double americano over the cold brew.

Hey Ben how is you cold brew doing any improvements?

the Iced cold brew is my drink of choice at starbucks but would like to do this at home

No real updates. I am still roasting Beans and drinking coffee. I mix it up between cold brew, drip and areopress.

Last summer, Toronto was awash with every coffee shop pushing cold brew. I tried it at a few of the local shops ( Jimmy's, Atlas, Dark Horse ) but I still wound up preferring an iced double americano over the cold brew.

Like everything else, you are entitled to you opinion...

As long as you realize I am always right.

I read a tip that suggested adding a pinch of salt to a cold brewed cup of coffee. It is supposed to enhance the flavor.

Has anyone tried sous vide coffee?  :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By CentralTexBBQ
      Very thankful that the pecan mini logs I ordered on Friday showed up in basically two business days instead of the eight they projected. Got an unbelievable price on them plus free shipping.

One 20lb turkey and one brisket just shy of 17lbs. I find that I am trimming more fat off of Costco Prime briskets than any other brisket I come across. It is a gret product however.

Brisket properly peppered and salted- threw it on the grill @ 11:30pm. Problably will put the turkey on @ 9am for a 1pm early dinner time.

• By later4ya
      I finally found a Costco brisket up to my specs, so I going to see whether I can discern the difference between a choice packer and a prime. Granted, it would be best if they came from the same meat packer but, still... With all the talk of upcoming changes for the KJ in 2018, addressing idiot proof ease of lighting and temp control, I am wondering how many of those owners would be willing to be out in thirty plus degree weather at 2am to get one of these big boys started...

She didn't require much trimming so, I definitely lost less than a pound and a half and I think I am grossly overstating that...

Now with the rub. On second thought I need to add at least as much black pepper again in order to approach a proper Louie Mueller bark. I'll add it during the cook after the butcher paper. But, put here into back into the fridge to 'dry brine' on Wednesday.

1:45 and Big Joe is sluggish to come up to temp... shooting for 215° - 225°.
    • By later4ya
      Tomorrow, I'm having about twenty-seven people come over for our 'Poke Chop Fellowship'. Twenty-four are having the 1.125" thick, reverse-seared center cut pork chops– I call these the pig porterhouse.
      1st 17 center cut bone-in pork chops– seasoned (salt, pepper and a little chilli), sitting in all that lemony goodness and ready to go... awaiting final coffee rub.

Last seven bagged up and redt2go...

This part of the cook I have a plan for.
      I'm certain I have enough grill space between the divide & conquer system and a 22.5" extension grate so, I'll start off the morning and put a light smoke on (27) sweet potatoes. I'll cook them about half way through and put them in the oven to finish on low heat. Next, I'm going to put a 90 minute pecan smoke on the chops at or around 200°– put them in a cooler while I remove the deflector plates and crank the Big Joe up to about 400° and then reverse sear them twelve at a time. While the first twelve are in their ten minute rest, I have more than enough time to get the last twelve seared.
      My one dangling participle is for the vegetarians. How I can get some smoke on their steelhead trout and get them done around the same time. Hmmm, any suggestions?
    • By Meatlover
      Haven't smoked anything in several weeks so with mamma going out of town I decided to get cozy with my grill again.

I thawed out a Butt that I had picked up when they were on sale for $0.99/lb.   Got a wild hair idea to smoke a small brisket under it to let the pork fat keep the brisket moist.    Also got a wild hair to make up a rub with coffee in it.   Turned out great so I figured I would share.

Brisket rub:
      1 part ground black pepper
      1 part onion powder
      1 part garlic salt
      2 parts espresso ground coffee

Covered it well...  (file to large to add ???)

Placed the pork butt on the top rack over the brisket.   I have started cutting slices in my butts and shoulders when I smoke them to get more rub and smoke into the meat.  Probably can't see it but my deflector plate was covered in fat juice.

Pulled the brisket, rested it and dug into it.   The flavor was amazing...   Give this rub a try!

Had to take a few samples...

My grill was so satisfied, she left me a wet spot on the patio...

On another note...
      While I was at Publix picking up a brisket, I saw a pork belly roll (had never seen) so I picked up one of those along with some beef ribs to do the same thing; pork belly over the beef ribs.    Ate those last night and they were delicious.

While I was chowing on the ribs I put the pork belly on the Joetisserie to crackle it up a little bit.  Skin turned out very good but I should have smoked the belly longer to render more of the fat out.

About to pull the butt off to let it rest and then pull it before the football game tonight.    

Thanks for looking and have a great rest of your weekend!

• By Smokehowze
      A Different Approach on a Pull-Apart Pepper Beef

In rearranging the freezer, a 3.5 lb chuck roast emerged from the back recesses in dire need of being cooked.  Hummmm…   there have been a number of posts on pepper beef so that became my starting point idea.   However, I did not want to just do one of the traditional approaches, so I decided to let the imagination spin out of control.

The result is a pull-apart sandwich beef with a complex flavor palate that melds smokiness with multiple pepper flavors and a touch of heat all wrapped in a chicory coffee and Steens cane syrup overcoat.

Served on warmed Cuban bread with optional Gouda cheese.  Sides were salt water corn slow roasted in the husk and roasted sweet potato chunks.   BTW - A dollop of mayo on the sweet potatoes really tastes good.

A Different Pepper Beef Sandwich

Concentrated Meat Goodness

Hope There’s Enough

The Meat
      The thawed chuck roast was lightly rubbed with olive oil and seasoned generously with black pepper and lightly with salt.  Big Joe was stabilized at 275 degrees with the grill grate in the high position.  The chuck was cooked in direct heat for 90 minutes turning as needed to create a crust but no burning – at least each 20  minutes or so.     A large chuck of pecan wood was positioned to generate the smoke for this part of the cook.

The chuck was removed at about 170 internal just because that is what it was when I checked it at 90 minutes taking a break from mowing the lawn.

I placed the chuck in my large Lodge Dutch oven with lid and let it rest while I finished the yard work.  Big Joe was kept humming along at 275 or so.  He will be needed again.

Browning & Smoking the Chuck Roast

The Peppers
      At the same time as the chuck is being browned,  a number of poblano peppers were smoked and low temperature roasted for about an hour and then placed in a dish and plastic wrap covered before removing skin and seeds.  If all the skin does not come off because they do not get a high level of blistering heat don’t fret it.  They are going to be cooked for several more hours anyway.

For the other pepper additions, besides the roasted/smoked problano peppers which I sliced, I used one red large bell pepper, a large green bell pepper, both cut in a coarse julienne, and a large serrano pepper with about half the seeds removed and medium chopped.  And while we are at it, a large onion coarse chopped.

Building the Dish – and the Seasonings
      The beef was cut into roughly 1 inch cubes and returned to the dutch oven. 

The peppers were added to the pot.  Also, one 14.5 oz can of whole peeled plum tomatoes with the juice. Seasonings were dried thyme, fresh chopped parsley, quite a few toes of garlic, Worcestershire sauce and several dried bay leaves.

Sliced & Ready to Cube (the meat while not tender is still moist and tastes good at this point - don't eat too much snacking)

Building the Dish

The Liquids
       Here is where the dish gets interesting.

First, I prepared a cup of heavily flavored beef stock using a favorite of mine – low sodium Better Than Bouillon beef base to the ratio of 1 TBs+  to the cup of water.  Add to the pot.

Secondly, I brewed a small strong pot of New Orleans style coffee & chicory (Community brand) using a heavy hand on the amount of coffee.  I utilized 2 cups of the brewed coffee for the cooking pot.   Save any remaining coffee as a later possible addition. Or have a cup with milk and some of the Steens cane syrup.  

Now, if you taste the resulting ingredients in the pot at this point the liquid will be bitter and just plain awful.

The magic third addition was 3 Tablespoons (add a TBs at a time and check flavor) of Steens cane syrup (another Louisiana favorite).  This balances the coffee bitterness with a sweeter overtone and brings out a caramelization note.

Ready to Go Back on Joe

Into the Final Cook
      With everything in the Dutch oven, place on stove and get it up to temperature and at a slow boil stirring well.  You have options here – cook on stove top at slow braise, in the oven inside or return to the Kamado -  which is what I did.

Cook covered for another 4 (+/-) hours at 275-300 until meat is falling apart by itself when stirring the pot. Pot should be at a low braise – add a heat deflector under pan if cooking too much - keeping Joe at this temperature is needed when we roast the sides and toast the sandwiches.

This length of cooking provides a mix of shredded beef and tender beef nuggets which work well on a sandwich.  If needed, add some of the residual coffee mixed with some beef base and the Steens if it is getting too dry or just a small amount of water.  You are looking for a meaty dish with not an excessive amount of liquid.  If required, cook at the very last for a while with the lid off.

The sides I chose get addressed in the final hour of the cook.
      Salt Water Soaked Corn

The Raw Sweet Potatoes (olive oil + salt & pepper gets added)

Adding Expansion Rack For Roasting

The Slow Roasted Corn is Done

The Roasted Sweet Potato (Ido not have any wood smoke going when doing the sweet potatoes)

At this point you can adjust final seasonings to your personal liking for salt, pepperiness, sweetness (reduce it  if too much by a touch of regular white vinegar), etc .  Mine needed no adjustment.

Or if so inclined, you can add careful dashes (go real gentle on the amount) of cider vinegar which will surprisingly swing the overall flavor in yet another and completely different direction.    Or do some of both …. I served the cider vinegar at the table for people to add as desired,
      Now Serve It Up

Layer the meat on a good bread optionally with melted cheese ( warmed/melted in the Kamado of course) and savor a “different approach pepper beef”.

Getting Toasty & Gooey

Enjoy!