bad steak

baconator

i took a gamble over the weekend and bought some cheap strip steak at a local supermarket by me. i payed 10 dollars for 2 good sized strip steaks. they had some great marbeling going on them and i figured i couldnt go wrong since they looked so good. well i went wrong. as soon as i put them on the acorn at 550 i could already smell it. almost like a barn yard manure smell. i went ahead and cooked them to a perfect medium rare like i always do with the acorn and sure enough they tasted like they smelled. the dog was very excited to eat a quarter of one but I threw the rest in the trash. luckily i had some brats i quickly threw on as an alternate plan for dinner. Has anybody had experience with steak like that? ive had the same thing from a similar grocery store down the street with super cheap filets in the past. the aroma was the same back then so i instantly knew what was up when they started cooking on my acorn. well now i know i wont be buying meat from these 2 stores when there is a super sale. there is a super sale because the meat is sub par. im not sure if the meat is from an old cow or a cow that is improperly cared for, maybe someone can confirm. BTW the dog was fine after eating them .

yea the furkid eats everything haha... the meat smelled fine until i put it on the grill and it started cooking. my cloths smelled like it too from the cloud of barnyard manure puffing out of my acorn. i need to clean my grill now to get that scent out of there.

I had a similar experience with beef ribs that I bought on clearance the day before expiration date on the cryopac but when I opened them it was odoriferous. Barn yard is a pretty good description of the aroma, but all I said was oh s***!

I have had hamburg that cooked up all spongy and with no meat taste or texture and it looked fine until they were pressed into patties. They were spongy even before it hit the grill. That likely came from too much pink slime being added.

I am thankful that I never had beef steaks that have a manure smell when cooked. i do have a theory but i do doubt it. They have huge feed lots that are full of cow poop and the animals from some of these feed lots are covered in manure. Supposedly this does get on the meat so they dip the whole sides of beef into bleach to kill the E-coli and bacteria from the manure. Whole cuts of meat are safe when cooked because the bacteria does not penetrate into the meat. Before I read about this i did occasionally get meat with a faint bleach flavor.

Hamburg is different because if all of the e-coli is not killed it gets ground into the meat and can make you sick. I do know a man who very nearly died from a rare hamburger. This supposedly happens because all most all of the meat in the entire country is ground in huge grinding plants and shipped around the country. The operations are supposed to be so big that some meat does get contaminated. The documentary Food INC goes into this. The way to avoid this is to buy grass fed beef like they have at Whole Foods---but their nick name is Whole Paycheck.

I have bought very harsh pork loin from a major supermarket twice. It smelled like the air does in an area where there massive bunches of large hog farms. I no longer bu my loin from that chain. Said another way the pork loin tasted and smelled like hog poop and that did not have any odor either before i cooked it.

The other way around commercially ground hamburger is to buy from a local source. My family buys a cow from a local farmer and splits it up, way cheaper this way. I pay about $3/lb after processing but get hamburger, steaks, roasts, and ribs so our is a great deal and the meat is always way better than what you get in the store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• 7 years later...