Luv2Q

"Mariquitas con Mojo" - Crispy Plantains with Tangy Garlic Sauce

Hello fellow KG forum members!

Last Tuesday, my wife brought home some green plantains, so I decided to make some "Mariquitas con Mojo".

Although mojo typically refers to a type of marinade made with a few different ingredients, the mojo that I'm referring to here is more of a simple tangy garlic sauce. Some people get all complicated and roast their garlic and add a ton of ingredients to their mojo, but I personally think that all of that is overkill. In my opinion, simplicity is the key to a good mariquita appetizer.

"Mariquitas" are crispy chips or strips made from fried green plantains. The different variations are thin round chips, thick round chips, thin long strips and thick long strips. Personally, I like the thin long strips the best because they are very crispy, easy to bite and hold much more garlic mojo than the round chips do.

With mariquitas and with mojo, there is no right or wrong, just preference. Whatever you like, that's what you should make. After all, it's your food, so do what makes you happy! :)

For the mojo sauce, take about 10 garlic cloves (yes, I like a lot of garlic), mince them and add them to a bowl. Then, squeeze about three to four limes, depending upon the size and how juicy they are, into the same bowl. Make sure that you strain the limes as you're squeezing them in order to keep the pulp and the seeds out. Next, add about three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to this mix. Finally, add approximately three tablespoons of cold water to reduce the acidity of the lime juice and also add a couple of pinches of kosher salt into the bowl. Mix these ingredients thoroughly and put the bowl into the refrigerator. By the way, this is not a set recipe, so feel free to add or subtract whatever you feel like adjusting so that it tastes good to you.

IMG_7485_zpsxltz6qsz.jpg

Next, you'll need to get some green plantains. Here in Miami, you can find them in most grocery stores. Make a slit into the outer peel of the plantain from one end to the other, then remove the peel. This will leave you with the hard banana that resides inside the peel.

IMG_7487_zpsfevrobhf.jpg

If you want round chips, use a mandoline or a knife to cut the chips to your desired thickness. If you want long strips, use a mandoline or a vegetable peeler. For this cook, I used my vegetable peeler, laid the banana down on a cutting board and worked my way from one end of the banana to the other. Each time a thin strip came through the vegetable peeler, I placed it into a bowl with icy cold water. The icy water prevents each strip from sticking together. When the ice melts, just add more ice to the bowl.

IMG_7486_zpsbujo0hqc.jpg

In a large skillet, place about an inch and a half of vegetable oil in and heat it to approximately 375 degrees. I used a Thermapen to make sure that I was at the right temperature. Since I had prepared very thin strips, my total fry time was approximately 45 seconds. Whenever possible, I ask my wife to do the frying so that I can eat the mariquitas as they come out of the skillet (finger tip in image courtesy of my wife). :rofl:

IMG_7482_zpsjzp8f07s.jpg

Once you remove the fried plantain strips from the oil, place them into a bowl lined with a paper towel to soak up the excess oil. At this point, I like to lightly salt them, but that's entirely up to you, your doctor and your blood pressure medicine. :P

IMG_7483_zps67eapcd9.jpg

When you're done frying up your plantains, you can either pour the mojo sauce over them all or serve them separately and let your family and friends eat them plain or dunk them into as much of the mojo sauce as they desire. This is one of my favorite appetizer dishes of all time. If you've never had them, try them and I guarantee that you'll get hooked!

IMG_7491_zps7yjpctvw.jpg

Thank you for looking and enjoy the pics!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Mr Cue
      I've had a bone in ten pounder sitting in the freezer for a few weeks, got the weekend off from work, and been wanting to make some fresh Lechon Asado to have with the Cuban bread I'm going to attempt to make. Sounds like reason enough to fire up the Akorn!
      I cut the butt in half and injected the boneless, money muscle, side with Goya Mojo Criollo. Then it got rubbed with Bigcat305's Asado rub (found in the recipes section), it's a fine rub and my go to for Cuban style porkroast.
      The bone in half got a coating of Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Both sides went on the Akorn at 300F with RO red bag and a few pieces of pecan. I took the mojo pork up to 170ish and pulled it off, the pulled pork cooked to 205F.
      I had to slice off an end piece of that mojo pork to see if it was right... Yup, spot on. The pulled pork came apart nicely and had some excellent bark. I removed the fat cap before cutting the butt in two so no further cleanup thereafter. Now I gotta make some Cuban bread and press that mojo pork with some nice ham and Swiss, mustard, and a dill pickle slice... Can't wait!

• By Mr Cue
      I was spoiled in having a completely covered cooking area for the last few years, the new house has an open deck. Not sure if I will cover the deck or just get a rain cap but this cook went on without incident. The rain was a slight drizzle, anything heavier and I think I would have had issues.
      On to the cook! I've been thinking chicken and rice for a few days so that's what I did. For Mrs. Cue and Cue Jr I spatch'd a whole chicken they will have with some garlicky green beans and roasted potatoes. For a buddy at work and I, we shall dine on spatch'd Cornish hens and saffron rice.
      The hens were marinated in Goya Mojo Criollo for about 1 hour then sprinkled with Adobo and my chicken skin spice blend. The big bird got chicken grillin seasoning on the meat and my skin spices on the skin. They were grilled direct at 375F. The big bird came out with super crisp skin and very moist meat.

I cooked the backbones for stock and used it in some Mahatma Yellow Saffron rice. To the rice I added chopped green peppers, chopped red peppers, and some chopped onion.

The money shot, plated to go in a foil cake pan with some grilled peppers and onions on a bed of yellow rice.

• By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      An alternative to traditional BBQ pulled pork, this Cuban-American inspired dish is outstanding especially in warm weather due to the flavor and aroma of fresh cilantro, fried garlic, lime/orange juice, & cumin.  This recipe never disappoints.

8 lb pork butt

Marinade Ingredients:
      4 tsp Olive Oil
      1 bulb Garlic
      2 cups lime juice
      1 cup orange orange juice
      3 tsp cumin
      3 tsp oregano
      4 tsp salt
      1.5 tsp black pepper

Mix in food processor. Add to large bag with pork butt. Marinade for up to 24 hours.

Cook pork butt @225-250 F for 12-14 hours till 195+ int temp.

Mojo Ingredients:
      2 bunches cilantro
      2 cups olive oil
      2 cups lime juice
      1 cup orange juice
      2 bulbs garlic (peeled and cross-sliced thin)
      4 tsp salt
      4 tsp cumin
      2 tsp black pepper
      2 tsp oregano

Cook garlic in hot oil for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except cilantro. Heat to boil. Cool. Add chopped cilantro. Pour over pulled pork.

Video Instructions:

http://youtu.be/Es3h3WMacLc
    • By Mode Red
      I marinated a 10 lb picnic shoulder for 24 hrs in a pineapple mojo. I roasted it in my Akorn using only lump and a drip pan full of water and marinade at 260 for about 4 hrs, then 300-325 for 3 hrs and 350 for 1 hr. The skin was perfectly crispy like pork rinds and the meat just fell apart!
      I recommend rubbing the meat with garlic, onion, salt and pepper mashed into a paste, then dropping the meat into a store bought mojo or juices with any herbs and such that you like. I used pineapple and cilantro.
      Here are the pics to prove it!

• By Mr Cue
      After seeing that glorious post by Big Cat 305, I had to replicate one of those fantastic Cuban pork roasts. For this cook I am using Goya Mojo Criollo and will follow Big Cat's rub recipe although I will probably make more than he did. I am also using a 9 pound pork shoulder with the skin on instead of a Boston Butt, I was mistaken in saying it was 10 pounds in another post. I don't expect there to be any difference in flavor as these two cuts are from the same region but I am hoping to have some flavorful extras with the skin. So, here is the beginning of the cook:

Here is what we got to work with:

I decided to score the skin.

Now lets inject this guy!

A little more mojo on top and it's ready to be covered and set in the fridge for about 12 hours.

Once the marinade has had time to work it's magic I will rub the meat down with the rub and get it on the Akorn.