Pastrami from a beef round roast

philpom

Lunch meat!  This demonstrates the results you can get from a round roast.  The fine texture and relative leanness of the cut makes great cold cuts.

IMG_20141228_211233_057_zps9akr6xft.jpg

IMG_20141228_211201_683_zpsxyjstaqf.jpg

IMG_20141228_213125_738_zpsarfctz9l.jpg

This was dry cured in a food save bag for a week with a mixture of black pepper, coriander, garlic and onion powder, then rinsed and dried.  A coating of black pepper and coriander was applied and it went back in a food saver for 24 hours.  The last step causes the spices to adhere very well to the roast before smoking it,  I love that dark rind on my pastrami.

I am assuming without a meat slicer you would never be able to get anywhere close to a lunchmeat consistency?

A slicer is pretty much required however you can shave with a sharp knife.  You can also buy a really cheap slicer that should do the trick for occasional use.

Ours was a wedding gift 20 years ago, what a gift, this one keeps giving!

Looks great, I'm pretty sure I have that same meat slicer. Have you ever sharpened the blade or got a replacement?

Never have, the blade has probably been handled  better than a Tiffany "egg". :)  It is made in Germany and has kept it's edge very well.  I love it because after taking the motor and blade off I just toss the entire thing in the dishwasher.

would you mind sharing the recipe? 

For a 4 pound roast.  1tb of tender quick per pound of meat.

***Brine/injection cure

2tb tender quick

1tb sugar

2ts garlic powder

3/4tb peppercorn

1ts marjoram

1ts rubbed sage

1tb coriander seed

Grind well in a spice grinder.  

***Dry cure rub

2tb peppercorn

2tb tender quick

2tb sugar

2tb ground coriander seed

1ts marjoram

1 and 1/2ts rubbed sage

1ts garlic

***Dry rub for the cook

3tb ground black pepper

3tb ground coriander seed

Dissolve the brine in 1 cup of boiling water.  Add 1 cup of iced water to cool.  Trim fat and wrap the roast in plastic wrap.  Inject the brine in a one inch pattern all over the roast.

Remove the plastic, pat dry and coat well with the dry cure.  Put the roast in a food save bag, seal well and store in the meat drawer for 7 days turning each day.

On day 8 remove the roast, rinse it under cool running water and pat dry.  Allow it to sit on the counter (perhaps with a small fan) and allow it to dry until it is tacky.  Coat is very well with the smoking rub and put it back in another food save bag for 24 hours in the meat drawer.  Cook it at about 250 until you reach an internal temp of 165f.  Add a small amount of your favorite wood, hickory, apple etc.   

After the cook allow it to rest and cool, the put it back in the fridge over night.  Slice it it razor thin the next day and enjoy!

I just made a turkey breast pastrami last week for a friend. He's got gout, so red meat pastrami and curing salts are out.

You could also do this with a leg of lamb. It is super tasty.

I need to try this...  OH my toe, OH my ankle, OH the top of my foot......

For what it is worth, tell your friend that at least for me the magic pill is Prednisone, 20mg every 8 hours with a meal for up to 5 days max.  During an acute attack this will knock the pain out.

I just made a turkey breast pastrami last week for a friend. He's got gout, so red meat pastrami and curing salts are out.

You could also do this with a leg of lamb. It is super tasty.

I need to try this...  OH my toe, OH my ankle, OH the top of my foot......

For what it is worth, tell your friend that at least for me the magic pill is Prednisone, 20mg every 8 hours with a meal for up to 5 days max.  During an acute attack this will knock the pain out.

Turkey won't take as long to brine / cure, unless you want the nitrate curing penetration aspect. Usually 2 days is about all turkey takes for brining. Too long and I find it dilutes the meat.