Eggs: Bad for Cholesterol?

John Setzler

I used to be worried about the cholesterol content in eggs, but in recent months I have read several publications, including this one, that make me not worry too much about eggs in my diet:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468

Saturated fats are worse for your cholesterol than dietary cholesterol in most foods.  

I used to be worried about the cholesterol content in eggs, but in recent months I have read several publications, including this one, that make me not worry too much about eggs in my diet:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/expert-answers/cholesterol/faq-20058468

Saturated fats are worse for your cholesterol than dietary cholesterol in most foods.  

I read somewhere that the content of a whole egg actually had a positive effect.  I also have read many times that dietary cholesterol in general has very little impact on blood levels.

Eggs are a super food in my opinion. 

I will be trying to follow the research on this over time. I love eggs and if the dietary cholesterol is determined to be low risk I will be quite happy... The current data looks quite favorable. You also have to consider the rest of tou r diet. There are lots of foods that naturally reduce cholesterol...

John Setzler, on 31 Jan 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

Most folks do not understand that cholesterol is a necessity - it's not an option.

Cholesterol is necessary for the brain to operate.

Mentally retarded people have VERY low cholesterol levels while geniuses have high cholesterol.  

Statins used to 'lower' cholesterol harden the veins/arteries they are 'protecting.'

If you are a fat pig, lose some weight but do not buy into the high cholesterol scam.

As a personal observation: John, I'm surprised your cholesterol is high judging from the amount of posts you are making in this sub-forum...it's quite troglodytic.

John Setzler, on 31 Jan 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

Most folks do not understand that cholesterol is a necessity - it's not an option.

Cholesterol is necessary for the brain to operate.

Mentally retarded people have VERY low cholesterol levels while geniuses have high cholesterol.  

Statins used to 'lower' cholesterol harden the veins/arteries they are 'protecting.'

If you are a fat pig, lose some weight but do not buy into the high cholesterol scam.

As a personal observation: John, I'm surprised your cholesterol is high judging from the amount of posts you are making in this sub-forum...it's quite troglodytic.

My cholesterol is not high.  It's right in line where it's supposed to be on my last check a few weeks back.

I believe more in the cholesterol ratio then levels.  My total cholesterol hovers around 220-240 but my HDL is normally 65-75.  My ratio is nearly 3.0:1.  Doc says it's all about genetics but through diet and exercise you can improve your ratio.

The drugs typically lower both ldl and hdl and could lower hdl more than ldl.  This makes the ratio worse.

*this is just my opinion  Listen to your own doctor or find another doctor that says what you want to hear!