How this section motivated me - Big Dawg

Big Dawg

I don't normally go into a lot of personal stuff when I post...but wanted to share what this section has motivated me to do.

A little background...I'm 51 years old, 6' tall, fairly large build and for the majority of my adult life, weighed in around 195 - 210 lbs. I played football at Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches, Texas after graduating High School in 1982, and have always been fairly athletic. As I aged and became a father of 5, my athletic endeavors diminished, but luckily, my metabolism remained high, allowing me to eat without a lot of concern about gaining weight. If I did gain a few pounds, I could shed them very easily with just a few lifestyle alterations.

Then I turned 50! Talk about a drastic change...without changing my lifestyle, I went from 200 lbs. to 236 lbs. seemingly overnight, and found it was much more difficult to lose them. At this weight, I'm not comfortable, and my clothes don't fit nearly as well. Refusing to buy a new wardrobe, I began pondering what I could do to lose the weight.

While considering options, John started this section in KG. After seeing John's success with his program, and how the Fitbit helped in said success, I bought a Garmin Vivofit and started an account with MyFitnessPal to track my calories, (which I had NEVER done), exercise, sleep habits etc.

It has been two full weeks now that I have been doing this, so I thought I would post my progress:

Starting weight - 236 lbs.

Current weight - 230 lbs.

Avg. caloric intake - 1600 calories/day

Avg. steps - 9967/day

Avg. sleep - 7.5 hours/night - 2.5 avg. of deep sleep

Avg. water intake - 70 oz./day (I bet I did not average 24 oz. a day prior)

I have not implemented a steady exercise program other than my steps per day, and do not restrict myself from any kind of foods. I am, however, paying much more attention to quantity of food consumed, and total calories ingested.

After painlessly losing 6 lbs. in two weeks, I'm convinced this is the best way for me to arrive at and maintain a healthy weight! I enjoy seeing the progress on my computer screen, look forward to reaching new goals and milestones, and have a much better awareness of what/how much food/beverage/sleep I am introducing to my body on a daily basis. It is amazing to me how many calories I consumed through "mindless eating".

John, I know you are considering abolishing this forum, so I wanted to thank you for the motivation prior to its potential demise. If you hadn't started it and piqued my interest in the Fitbit/Vivofit, I think I would still be searching for a plan that would fit into my lifestyle which would get me back down to my goal of 200 lbs.!

Thanks rwalters...it's tough getting older!

Good for you!

I am a whole lot older than you & almost exact ht & wt

Not counting calories, but working on reducing intake & have been forced to do BBQ only 1x a week due to developing some kind of asthmatic copd.

(Smoke & wood working dust really get to me now -- curtailing my hobbies!)

I have taken up stir fry, which helps reduce the meat calories, and being as a really not fond of rice, helps me naturally eat less than I'd be tempted to w/taters.

Carry on, get 'er under control while you still young!

(Yes, a few of us have been watching these threads, even not posting herein)

Sounds great! I joined a group at work today where the goal is to lose 5 percent of your body weight over three months. This should not be too difficult to do and it will put me near my end goal as well.

One of the stats they mentioned in the meeting today is a very interesting one... "those who track their calorie intake while dieting tend to lose rwice as much weight as thise who dont." I dont know the source if that info but it makes sense. The simple act of paying attention to how much you are eating makes you more aware of how much you are taking in and you tend to naturally curb that diring the process...

Good for you!

I find the calorie counting to be really helpful. It's amazing how many "empty" calories can be so easily consumed, and how easy it is to underestimate portion size when you're not thinking about it. I mean, I thought a 16 oz ribeye was one portion (not to mention the 22 oz cowboy cuts), but then you realize that's 1300 calories! 

I think you'll find that this really helps you be mindful about what you're eating, and it completely recalibrates the mental process of knowing how much you should eat in a day. 

Funny, I was gunna' make a post almost exactly like yours, so I'll just piggy-backs instead.

I'm:

- 5yrs younger

- Have 1 less kid (4)

- Am 2" shorter

- Weighed in at 237 (2 weeks into my weight loss program)

But otherwise, pretty much the same deal. Though I'm only 5'10", I'm pretty stout. Even when I did have a 6-pack, along with lots of other muscle, I could never get below 210... and that's when I was "big" in a good way. Building muscle has never been a problem for me, I can gain a pound or tow of it just driving by a gym. And I've always had a good metabolism too.

I've pretty much spent my life eating however much of anything I want, as well as being joe 6-pack (of beer). Yeah, I'd sometimes get a dash of flab, but my solution to that issue was always the same thing - big-assed salad diet, for a month.  I'd spend a month just eating on huge salad a day, in lieu of lunch and pre-dinner snacks, and I'd lose 10 or so lbs... in a couple weeks, without fail. This system has served me well for 15-20yrs, leaving me with a relatively flat stomach and in decent shape.

Then, the 40's hit. Early 40s were OK, but the last couple years have been hard. I actually didn't do the big-assed salad diet for the last two years, and it shows. I saw a couple pics of myself, when I wasn't standing in-front of the mirror unconsciously sucking in my gut. And I was shocked... I'm friggin' fat!!!!

Yep, I've been in denial. Anyone else in that boat? Funny, but it just got name like a brick, after years of denial. And then I tried to fit into my suits, ones that I bought 4 or so years ago. No way, no how, not happening.

So, around Christmas, I started a weight loss program. This time, it was beyond just eating a big salad. I've been doing 30-60mins of exorcise very day (including lots of aerobic). I've even had quite a few days with 2-3 hours of serious exorcise, including today. And I cut out booze/beer/wine, all of it. Sticker, a Margarita is ~600 calories, and the beers I like are probably 250+. While I haven't been counting calories, I've dramatically reduced my intake. I'v pretty much been eating plants & twigs and such, for the last month and a half. 

Still, after all of this effort (more than I've ever made in my life), I'm barely making a dent. yes, the muscle is packing on (as it usually does), but the fat is still clinging. I tried on one of my suits, yesterday, and I the pants-button pretty much burst supersonic on me... LOL

Anyhow, I'll stick with the program. I'll pretty much live with one foot in the program. That celebrated metabolism that all my friends used to marvel at, jealously, it'd dead. 

And yeah, I'm fat.  But I'm working on that.

Hey man...best of luck to you, and keep working at it! For me, I had to start tracking all of the calories going in and out for it to really make a difference. I would do the "Big ### Salad" thing as well, and funny, I cut out the margaritas too when I realized how many calories they had!

Right now, I seem to be averaging around 2300 calories a day burned, and 1600 calories a day consumed. While I'm not exercising diligently, I have started lacrosse season (I'm a U13 coach) and my steps are up to ~ 10,500 to 13,000 a day.

I weighed in today at 227.6...so it's still working. A fitness tracking device helped me to put it all together, maybe it could do the same for you? I wish you all the best, and hope that both of us are fitting into our old clothes comfortably very soon!

Yeah, the fitness tracker has helped. I'm using an Apple watch, and it's been great. Though my woman, who also has an Apple watch, prefers her Fitbit for fitness. So, she wears both. 

While I'm not counting calories, I am being very good about what I eat and drink. I pretty much only drink water, and I mostly eat salads along with some lean protein. 

I guess I am making some progress., Today's weigh-in was 230.2, so I've lost 7 or so pounds in the last 2-3 weeks. I wasn't weighing myself before then, as I didn't want to see what the scale would have to say. My scale also has a body fat reader, though I don't know how much to trust that?

I'm guessing I have about 25 or so lbs to lose, at this point... something like that? 

Yeah, the fitness tracker has helped. I'm using an Apple watch, and it's been great. Though my woman, who also has an Apple watch, prefers her Fitbit for fitness. So, she wears both. 

While I'm not counting calories, I am being very good about what I eat and drink. I pretty much only drink water, and I mostly eat salads along with some lean protein. 

I guess I am making some progress., Today's weigh-in was 230.2, so I've lost 7 or so pounds in the last 2-3 weeks. I wasn't weighing myself before then, as I didn't want to see what the scale would have to say. My scale also has a body fat reader, though I don't know how much to trust that?

I'm guessing I have about 25 or so lbs to lose, at this point... something like that? 

7pounds...that's great progress, Congrats! I know I'm going to have to be a little careful today, as SB Sunday is always an eating and drinking fest at my house, but will be right back on it tomorrow. Good luck and keep going!

7pounds...that's great progress, Congrats! I know I'm going to have to be a little careful today, as SB Sunday is always an eating and drinking fest at my house, but will be right back on it tomorrow. Good luck and keep going!

That's why I'm taking my son on a hike this morning... I was going to go with my neighbor, which would have been a more difficult hike and probably would burn ~1700 calories or so on its own. But even with my son, I hope to burn 800-900...