sorting out charcoal.

BigJoeKamado

I sort my charcoal into Sterilite storage containers. I put all the medium-large, large, and extra large pieces in one container and the medium sized pieces and smaller into another container. I find doing it this way helpful. I was able to sort 80 pounds of Kamado Joe lump and store in the two containers. I don't think I could have separated another 20 pound bag into the two containers because the 80 pounds pretty much filed the containers. I use to just use the bag like you do but ran into the same problems.

I use three of these. One for large & huge chunks of Kamado Joe lump, one for smaller > medium size chunks of Kamado Joe lump and a third one for Royal Oak lump. Once I get towards the bottom I dump out the real small pieces and dust.....

post-3565-0-24268400-1454991490.jpg

I've found that this is really charcoal dependant. The better, larger more consistent lumps can go from bag to grill without issue. Pieces are large enough to allow for good air flow and a good burn. Lump made of  smaller bits benefits from being placed reasonably well to achieve good results, with larger chunks on the bottom and the rest poured over top......If I sort I just use 5 gallon pails.

I have never sorted. I typically cut the bag down as I go and put the pieces in by hand wearing the gloves that I keep at the kamado.. Then at the very bottom I shake it out with one of those grilling WOK bowls  with the big holes in it and dump it in. The WOK gets rid of all the dust from the Royal Oak easily.

Lately I have cut the bag down as I go and shake it in even the bottom of the bag with all the dust--since I have the kick ash basket.

Either way works.

andyscalzo, on 08 Feb 2016 - 9:18 PM, said:

I use three of these. One for large & huge chunks of Kamado Joe lump, one for smaller > medium size chunks of Kamado Joe lump and a third one for Royal Oak lump. Once I get towards the bottom I dump out the real small pieces and dust.....

attachicon.gif06ccf8bbe-2e6b-4f40-a0a2-ce56302aa52d_400.jpg

I have two of these containers and they are terrific even in the snow.  One for large pieces, one for the other stuff.

Good luck!

I just dump from the bag.

I never sort charcoal. I simply dump from the bag to the firebox. I never have any issues.

same here, dump from bag and burn everything including small pieces and dust and never have any issues.

never understood folks who throw out the small pieces, I view it the same as dumping out the last bit of fuel from your car's tank.

I just dump from the bag.

I never sort charcoal. I simply dump from the bag to the firebox. I never have any issues.

same here, dump from bag and burn everything including small pieces and dust and never have any issues.

never understood folks who throw out the small pieces, I view it the same as dumping out the last bit of fuel from your car's tank.

I agree. I burn everything as well from the smallest of pieces to the biggest. The reason I separate is so

I can easily locate the bigger pieces to place v on the standard grate and build my charcoal mound with the smallest pieces on top so they don't just fall through and our clog the holes on the grate.

I agree. I burn everything as well from the smallest of pieces to the biggest. The reason I separate is so

I can easily locate the bigger pieces to place v on the standard grate and build my charcoal mound with the smallest pieces on top so they don't just fall through and our clog the holes on the grate.

I don't even mess with that.  I haven't had any issues with clogging grates either...  Over time and with experience I have learned to not over complicate ANYTHING when it comes to Kamado cooking. Everything seems to work better and easier if you just let it happen and don't spend so much time trying to make it happen through precision.

I just thought the dust more than anything may not be good for the grill or food and could possibly make for a odor or undesired taste in whatever cook

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that?  Have you ever had this issue?  The dust is nothing more than charcoal dust so it can't really contribute any odor or flavor that a large chunk of charcoal could produce.  I have never had any issues with charcoal dust getting on my food.  I'd say that ash is more likely to get on the food since it's much lighter and could be picked up by an air current but I haven't had issues with that either.  

I'm not saying that you 'shouldn't' sort charcoal but I just don't see any need to do it from my experience.  It's one of those over complications that I mentioned above that, IMO, is a waste of time.