sorting out charcoal.

BigJoeKamado

I'm not saying it would or would not, just that when I get to the bottom of a bag and I'm pouring out the dust and crumbs it leaves quite a bit of,mess on top and taking into account the last ribs I done was with the last scraps from the bottom of a bag and it had one hell of a nasty chemical taste I kind of thought it could be related. Maybe not because as some of you had stayed I may have used too much hickory on that particular cook. The pork butt I just did turned out great with no weird flavor or smells. I did let the fire burn for a good hour and didn't use any smoke wood and was using a fresh bag of kamado joe lump.

I would also add that in my opinion when lighting lump in my kamado the smell it renders is anything but pleasant. Now on the other hand when I light my weber with kingsford that is a very pleasant smell. Again I know this is an opinion and some may be opposite. I also never use the last bit of tiny pieces of kingsford either.

I would also add that in my opinion when lighting lump in my kamado the smell it renders is anything but pleasant. Now on the other hand when I light my weber with kingsford that is a very pleasant smell. Again I know this is an opinion and some may be opposite. I also never use the last bit of tiny pieces of kingsford either.

Assuming you have a dry area to store your charcoal, open a couple bags & leave them that way for a month or 2 & you will release any VOC that be trapped in the bag.

The Kingsford smell is associated with the fond memories that you had as a child of the cookouts that you went to.

My biggest objection to the dust is that it can form a bit of a dust cloud for a moment and i do not want to breath it.. As a I have started cutting the bag down as I go I have a lot more control as I dump and do not get nearly as much dust. All the dust used to get all riled up as the lump slid down to bag and came out in a huge cloud of dust. Not so if the bag is cut down.

For the very last at the bottom of the bag I sort of lay the bag on the bottom and slide it out. The dust is much less.

As far as odors--the big pieces--the small pieces--and the dust all came from the same place and chemically speaking is IMO with out testing--chemically identical.

I have had trial bags of various lump spark with out stopping. I did not buy it again. Out of about 200 bags of Royal Oak --I had two that seemed to have a chemical smell that I had to burn out before cooking--but that had nothing to do with lump size or the dust.

What are you using to light your kamado and what are you using to light the weber?  Are you using fire starter cubes?  Are you using the same starters in both places?

I use lighter fluid on my weber and the kj starter cubes in my kj

There would be some significant difference in odor there.  Starter fluid has a very strong odor and the odor of the kj starter cubes is almost non existent.  I'm not sure what might be going on. Starter cubes and lump charcoal is about as 'clean' as you can get.  

I have problems getting a good fire going on used lump. I use the tool to stir the lump to get the ash out like john does in the videos, then i add lump on top of it to get it back to "full" (near the firebox holes). When i light it, i always have a harder time getting it up to temp than i did when it was all new lump. It behaves like the air holes are plugged. How can i light a second fire and get the same heat and responsiveness of new lump after i clean out the entire firebox? Thanks.

Does anyone find that cooking on older lump results in less responsiveness? What i mean by that is the same gap that i have on the bottom vent and daisy wheel will be a lower temp on old lump than new. I pick the big pieces and stack in the firebox when i load my new lump. It almost feels like when i stir the old, that it breaks it up into smaller pieces which reduces air flow causing me to have to open it up more on top and bottom to get my temp up. That make sense? Just wondering if this is common or if im doing something wrong. Thanks!