Pitmaster Iq110 & Ring of Fire Method for Low and Slow

This video shows two important bits of information about cooking on the Akorn. It shows you how to use the Pitmaster Iq 110 temperature controller AND an alternative method of charcoal configuration for low and slow cooking. I have not tried the 'Ring of Fire' method yet but I plan to.

Thanks to John I. Que for posting this video here...

Some one else mentioned doing the ring of fire only with out the can of sand. It certainly would limit the charcoal that gets lit to the part exposed. It reminds me of the smoke maze.

I do a lot of grilling of chicken at the 375 range and I do something sort of just the opposite. I make a pile of lump at the back and at the front and light them both off with 1/2 of a Rutland fire starter in each. I bring it up to temp and close the bottom vent untill the heat stalls and drops 5 degrees and then open the bottom to around .5 to 1.25 depending on the day I do it. I leave the top vent completely open.

pretty cool, i toy with the controller idea, but woried it takes the fun out of the experience, a bit of a cheat?

Sure, it's a cheat. just like the temperature setting on your oven. :D

When you need your butts ready by early to mid afternoon on Saturday, it's nice to start them on Friday night, set it and forget it and get a good night's sleep. before getting my partyq, I'd have to set an alarm to wake up every hour or two to check it, and even that isn't often enough - I can't remember the number of times I've woken up to find my smoker too hot or gone out completely. I like sleep...

My motto is, "Cheaters may never win, but they're damned hard to beat." if I wanted a butt ready for lunch tomorrow I would like for it to be done maybe two hours before lunch so it can just rest in a cooler until time to pull and eat. That means it should be done about 9-10 am for lunch. I sure would not want to baby sit the kamado all night for that to happen.

They say when you cheat you're only hurting yourself. Well, I am here to tell you I can take the pain.

pretty cool, i toy with the controller idea, but woried it takes the fun out of the experience, a bit of a cheat?

I do think that it is worth while to learn how to manage the temp your self. For me I used it stock for awhile and then sealed the bottom--what a difference!!!

I can get in a temp range and hold it easily now-- but it does for me at least-- require attention. I can see the reason to want to use a PID. Also if one wants to flirt with the 225 range where the fire snuffs back to glowing coals on their way out----then you probably will need a fan to ignite new charcoal before they go out.

If the food comes out good then you certainly are not cheating yourself!

Maybe it's just me,but I enjoy playing with the temps,which I rarely have too do.I only put felt around the top lid,& I can hold any temp that I want.I wasn't gifted with any mechanical ablity at all,so after reading how you guys install these things,i'm still lost.Now unless one of you guys wanna come to Delaware,& install it for me Lol,I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

im getting tempted anybody have this unit`???

I have this unit, and I tried the ring of fire with the bucket of sand, and the broken brick, I did a small rack of ribs, and they turned out just like all the other times I've done them, I really don't see much difference other than it did burn just a small portion of the charcoal.

no set it and forget it?

For the most part, yes but sometimes it does spike a bit, and the red overtemp light comes on and takes a while to come back to green (at temp) but the spikes only bring the temp 10 to 15 degrees higher in all my experiances. That being said, I do like this unit, and will continue to use it.