Joetisserie - Better thumb screws?

schek

Bottom line, hand tightening does not get it done. My forks were constantly coming loose.

That's really strange BMS, in 150+ spins I have NEVER had a spit fork come loose, and I only tighten by hand. I have had the meat shrink to the point of where I have re-adjust the forks by sliding them further into the chunk of meat, but have never had the forks work loose. Make sure you are tightening the thumbscrew onto a flat side of the spit rod.

What about a drop of Loctite Blue 242 on the threads?

The screws have to be removed after each cook, and sometimes moved during the cook. Plus I doubt that LB 242 is heat resistant and food safe. These type of adhesive  chemicals can give off chemical vapors when exposed to high heat.

Am I the only one who isn't having trouble with the thumb screws?

I don't get it either John. You know I have spun a lot of cooks, and have yet to have ONE issue with the thumbscrews....I'm lost on this one!

I have had two people tell me that they could not get the thumb screws to stay tight... and these two people aren't members on this forum.  The original poster on this thread wasn't having problems keeping them tight if I read it correctly... he was just having an issue with the size and accessibility of the screws...

What about a drop of Loctite Blue 242 on the threads?

The screws have to be removed after each cook, and sometimes moved during the cook. Plus I doubt that LB 242 is heat resistant and food safe. These type of adhesive  chemicals can give off chemical vapors when exposed to high heat.

Loctite 2046 is FDA approved & good up 450*

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/content_data/140389_LT5086_FoodBevTL_Brochure_LR.pdf

As a follow-up I was finally able to use my new spit forks last evening.  They performed excellently, better than expected.  I was able to conduct the whole cook using only my gloved hands when handling the spit.  Here are some observations:

• The new forks are larger but not excessively so.  I tied my leg of lamb into a longer, smaller diameter, shape.  Even so the prongs either pierced or held the roast in place with no movement.  The approx. width dimensions of the prongs are 3 5/8 x 2 3/4 for the original fork and 3 3/4 x 3 3/8 for the new fork.  The collar and thumbscrew ARE bigger and, to me, that's a good thing.
  • One possible downside of the new forks is that they are not stainless, which I knew going in.  Time will tell on their durability and rust resistance.  After one cook of course they still look great.  They seem heavy duty so I'm hoping for the best.
  • As I mentioned, the thumbscrews are bigger and tighten and loosen with ease.  As a result, I was able to remove the forks from the hot spit using only my silicone gloves.  On my cook last evening, I didn't have to adjust anything but on previous cooks I have.  Having the larger thumbscrews would make that job easier as well.  The longer collar keeps the screw comfortably away from the meat on the spit.
  • One additional benefit, albeit minor, is that the thumb screws serve as a convenient "handle" while moving the spit.  As long as you orient both thumbscrews in the same direction, they provide an easier way of moving the whole spit with meat on it. 

So my personal opinion is that these forks are a worthwhile purchase.  For about $12 I was able to overcome my only objection to the Joetisserie.  I found it a real pain to pick up a pair of pliers to manipulate the small thumbscrews while trying to handle a hot, greasy spit, but hey, that's just me.  This has made a great product even better.

post-4394-0-22178600-1457011486_thumb.jp

post-4394-0-00149400-1457011548_thumb.jp