My First Ever Brisket Flat

mstewart39

I've had my Akorn for almost a year now.  I've done a full brisket twice, but it's so expensive I rarely cook it.  (It's been really good both times, but the second time wasn't quite as moist as my first one.)  

This weekend (not sure which day) I'm going to do my first Brisket Flat.  It's about 8 1/2 pounds.  I'm thinking about waking up early one morning and trying John's "Kamado Joe Beef Brisket (2015)" method.  My hope is it will be done by dinner time.  

But I will probably do some other stuff instead of a BBQ sauce.  Maybe Apple Cider Vinegar & Bourbon, which has become my go-to rib spray.  Maybe I'll throw in a little Worcestershire sauce for some darkness.  

I'm just a little nervous.  Will this dry it out because I only have the flat?  Is 275 where most people usually do brisket?  I've been trying to stay below 250.  Is there a magic temperature I should take it off?  My plan is to start checking for probe-tenderness at around 195 and let it go as high as 203-205 if it takes that long to get probe-tender.  

Am I on the right track?  Or is there something I'm not thinking about?  I was actually planning a Saturday night into Sunday cook, but with John's method of putting it in a pan after 6 hours, I was afraid it would really screw up my sleep schedule!  

Thoughts?  Input?  Advice?  

Thanks!

I like to cook them very low and slow (210-230), but my last one (a 6 pound flat) a couple weeks ago took 19 hours to finish. That's ok though since I cook them overnight through the next day in time for dinner.

I've been using a simple salt and pepper rub recently and realized how great it is since it really brings out the beef and smoke flavor and isn't masked or muddled by a dozen spice rub.

I'll doing another one tomorrow night and making a video of it, but won't be available in time for you to watch.

Here is my most recent recipe for brisket.
Back to Basics Brisket Recipe (Salt & Pepper Brisket)

Ingredients
5-8 lb brisket, flat cut
Coarse Salt
Coarse Black Pepper
Cooking oil

Directions
1. Hours before cooking, pull flat from fridge. Remove excess fat. Just a thin layer is needed (1/8 inch). Save fat and cook underneath the brisket in a separate pan with a little water added, (It will also collect some of the drippings.) or render on stove or oven.
2. Score the remaining fat cap in several places to allow better rub and smoke penetration.
3. Apply a light coat of oil to meat to assist with rub adhesion.
4. Take note of the direction of the grain before applying rub so that you know how to slice it against the grain later.
5. Optionally, consider injecting with salty beef broth.
6. Season generously with coarse salt and coarse pepper all around.
7. For smoking wood, use oak (preferred), hickory, pecan, or cherry.
8. Cook at 235+/-20 until:
a. The stall occurs where you can optionally seal tightly the meat in foil to shave a few hours off the overall cook time. The exact temp of the stall will vary due the grate temperature beginning around the low 150s deg F for 200-225 grate temps to close to 160 deg for 225-250 deg grate temps. You’ll know when the stall occurs because the temp stay the same for hours. Sealing tightly means no meat probes since it will no longer be sealed tightly with a puncture hole in the foil. You can even wait a couple hours into it to get additional smoke exposure before wrapping it.
b. ~165 deg F IT when the collagen begins to render to gelatin at which point you optionally can wrap the meat in foil to collect the juices and rendered fat. This can be used to flavor a dipping sauce or be added to a pan of baked beans later. Any temp probe should be inserted at a high point in the foil to prevent the juices from leaking.
c. The IT is between 195-205 deg F.
9. Hold meat by wrapping in foil (if not already done) and placing in a cooler or 170 deg oven for at least an hour.
10. Add extra drippings and rendered fat directly to meat or add to a sauce.
11. Cut meat thinly across the grain.

I do them @ 275 because I hate overnight cooks -- I doubt anyone would know the difference.

Beer n BBQ Larry has the right idea -- I like a simple TX style salt & pepper rub -- not into saucing meat, other than a dipping sauce.

You, however, may like a moister result, & may like a foil method at the last as a an option.  My SIL likes them that way -- I like the burnt ends.

The weather was awesome, so I did a full packer from Walmart yesterday. Never understood why anyone would just do a flat as burnt ends are like meat candy from heaven. I am a fan of easy, so I cook briskets at a higher temp in less than half the time of the slow and low guys. All of my friends and family tell me it's the best brisket they've ever had - so I don't buy into the theory that you loose tenderness or flavor by cooking at higher temps.

90a24f5412c21261bdd18104b825daa0.jpg

I trimmed it, injected with beef broth, rubbed it with a Chicago steak rub and smoked it with pecan and bourbon barrel oak in an aluminum pan at 350 for about 4.5 hours (2.5 hrs uncovered for smoke exposure and then covered the pan with foil for 2hrs until it hit 205*F). Let it rest for an hour. Separated the point and cooked the point for another 90 minutes at 400 degrees. Then cut the point into 1/2" cubes and mopped sweet baby rays BBQ sauce on the cubes and put back on the Joe with the dampers closed. Essentially letting them bake with the Joe while them temp cooled down.

At the same time I unwrapped the flat section and sliced it thin dipping each slice into the juice from the pan. When I finished slicing I pulled the burnt ends off the Joe and dinner was served.

ec61081fb5e856b367ea0b22bc8c851c.jpg

17dfa26df521e906e5eff1d7a2fd6661.jpg

I'd rather do a full packer but BJ's only had flats. So I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm at 185 degrees right now. I didn't do the wrapped recipe because we decided to invite people for 1pm. I wasn't sure when it would get to the temp to wrap so I just rubbed it and I'm cooking it around 240 degrees. (With my tip top temp it ranged from about 225-245 all night.)

I'm getting excited. I can't wait to check it out!!!

Wow. Mine was awesome. It was called a "flat" but there was absolutely a small point chunk on top. It tastes amazing. I get frustrated because if I slice a piece and it's on the plate for 10 minutes it's dry. Is that normal?

I put on olive oil and some Worcestershire sauce under the rub and that really added something. I loved it. I unfortunately forgot to take pictures of the sliced brisket. But it had a beautiful pink smoke ring. 878d41e987cd5952519770d6c967fc85.jpg