Temperature controllers

Vegas

I have a Vision Pro s and have a PartyQ for overnights.

'Use PartyQ tonight and sleep,

safe and restful sleep,

sleep,

sleep'

My apologies to Simonex...

i too use a PartyQ battery operated simple  device... works very well in windy  Oklahoma!

I have never found a need for one until recently.  With shift work it is very difficult to walk away and not know for over 12 hours. 

I can cook now with the cyberQ and control it from my phone at any time as well I get live updates. 

This also works great when I leave out of town for the morning etc for kids sports. 

I love being able to keep an eye on things remotely!!!

Other than that... I agree 100% kamado cookers are rock solid and really do not require a device to control them

I have a steel keg as well, and i have a pitmaster. I was all excited to get the pitmaster, used it, maybe just once, maybe twice. Worked fine, but not something i need. I thought i needed it, but once i had it i realized it was not a big deal.

Question for the folks who aren't fussed about controllers - how often do you leave a cook on overnight? How often does the fire go out?

After a couple dozen overnight cooks, I have never had the lump "go out". A full fire box and confidence in your vent sets are all you need. At first I used a Maverick with alarm setting, but now I don't really worry about it. ✌️

I've had several temp controllers. The digiQ has been my favorite. It's a nice insurance policy on the kamado for overnight cooks. 

Interestingly, temp controllers works best on metal cookers like kettles. Kettles don't hold heat as well as kamados which makes them able to cool off faster (half the temp control equation). Consequently, a weber kettle with a temp controller actually has more solid temps than a kamado with a temp controller. Crazy, huh?

Something to think about if someone also drives a kettle. 

I bought a Cyber-Q a couple of years back... used it 5-6 times and sold it.  NOT needed.

In 3 years of cooking on kamado's, I have lost 1 overnight fire... and that was with the Cyber-Q controlling the temp.  The electronics went wacky.

As long as I give myself 60-90 minutes prior to a long low n slow, I have no problems letting my kamado go overnight.  Once settled, it pretty much sits right where you left it.

I do low n slow pretty frequently.it varies how often throughout the year. I do set my mavric alarms and have had to run out a couple times and adjust vents. I can only remember 1 time i completly lost the fire. That said, i generaly only do low n slow overnight cooks if i have the next day off work. So if i have to get up a couple times i can just sleep in. It may give you a bit of peace of mind. If so you should get one.

I bought a TipTopTemp, basically because it was so cheap. It works pretty well once you get it dialed in.

I've only done a handful of overnight cooks. I am still paranoid all night, but the TTT, combined with min/max temp alarms on my maverick is good enough for me.