BEER-N-BBQ by Larry

Back to Basics Brisket (Salt & Pepper Brisket) - Recipe and video tutorial on how to do brisket

Here is a basic Texas style salt and pepper brisket recipe and video tutorial.

Ingredients:

5-8 lb brisket, flat cut

Coarse Salt

Coarse Black Pepper

Cooking oil

Directions:

1. Hours before cooking, pull flat from fridge. Remove excess fat.

Just a thin layer is needed (1/8 inch). Save fat and cook underneath

the brisket in a separate pan with a little water added, (It will also

collect some of the drippings.) or render on stove or oven.

2. Score the remaining fat cap in several places to allow better rub and

smoke penetration.

3. Apply a light coat of oil to meat to assist with rub adhesion.

4. Take note of the direction of the grain before applying rub so that

you know how to slice it against the grain later.

5. Optionally, consider injecting with salty beef broth.

6. Season generously with coarse salt and coarse pepper all around.

7. For smoking wood, use oak (preferred), hickory, pecan, or cherry.

8. Cook at 235+/-20 until:

a. The stall occurs where you can optionally seal tightly the meat in

foil to shave a few hours off the overall cook time. The exact temp

of the stall will vary due the grate temperature beginning around the

low 150s deg F for 200-225 grate temps to close to 160 deg for 225-250

deg grate temps. You’ll know when the stall occurs because the temp

stay the same for hours. Sealing tightly means no meat probes since it

will no longer be sealed tightly with a puncture hole in the foil. You

can even wait a couple hours into it to get additional smoke exposure

before wrapping it.

b. ~165 deg F IT when the collagen begins to render to gelatin at which

point you optionally can wrap the meat in foil to collect the juices

and rendered fat. This can be used to flavor a dipping sauce or be

added to a pan of baked beans later. Any temp probe should be inserted

at a high point in the foil to prevent the juices from leaking.

c. The IT is between 195-205 deg F.

9. Hold meat by wrapping in foil (if not already done) and placing in a cooler

or 170 deg oven for at least an hour.

10. Add extra drippings and rendered fat directly to meat or add to a sauce.

11. Cut meat thinly across the grain.

Oh, btw, it was delish. I injected quite a bit of broth and foiled as I like moist brisket. One thing to consider if you are cooking for small children is they can be overwhelmed by a lot of pepper. I found that out the hard way. Will be doing brisket next weekend. Prolly similar to this.

Just finished my first brisket, glad you told me about the "stall".  Mine did at 155 and stayed there for 2 hours, never moved the first degree either. Then when the temp started rising it took off.  I wrapped it at 165.  Within a hour or so it reached 190, this was after cooking it at 220 for 8 hours.  Wrapped it in a towel and put in the cooler for 4 hours as you stated, man was this thing tender and full of flavor.. Thanks for all the great information. B)

Just finished my first brisket, glad you told me about the "stall".  Mine did at 155 and stayed there for 2 hours, never moved the first degree either. Then when the temp started rising it took off.  I wrapped it at 165.  Within a hour or so it reached 190, this was after cooking it at 220 for 8 hours.  Wrapped it in a towel and put in the cooler for 4 hours as you stated, man was this thing tender and full of flavor.. Thanks for all the great information. B)

It's always a great thing when the food turns out as good or better than you expected or hoped.

I think I'm about ready to try it.  Actually, I'm probably not ready, but I'm going to try it anyways!  Thanks for the info and video!

You have all the info you need to make great brisket.  Just allow PLENTY of time. Every brisket cooks differently it seems.  Good luck.

Did this yesterday ... The Lady Ann was - shall we say - MOST PLEASED with the results, as - of course - was I.  I ended up with a throughout dome temp of around 250 and a grill-level ambient temp of around 270.  Chose not to wrap until I took it off, so the bark was spectacular.  Timing at those temps, for me, with a 7# flat, was on at 10:00, 205 IT and probe-tender, so off at 16:45, wrapped and in the cooler 'till 19:00 and mega grins at din-din time.

Thanks for the informative video and recipe!

Thanks for this.  Quick question being a NOOB and all.  About how long does the brisket stay on the smoker or is there an estimate hours/lb?  I am just not sure when to take it off and foil it.  Thanks!

13 hours ago, Sammy said:

Thanks for this.  Quick question being a NOOB and all.  About how long does the brisket stay on the smoker or is there an estimate hours/lb?  I am just not sure when to take it off and foil it.  Thanks!

That can vary from brisket to brisket, cooker to cooker, temperature to temperature, and season to season.  As mentioned in the video, there are several places where foiling is an option and each can be determined by an internal temperature reading, but ultimately the best indicator is probe tenderness.  I always cook mine overnight into the next day giving it plenty of time to cook and plenty of extra time before eating in case the cook runs longer than expected.

So how long can you keep it in the cooler before you have to reheat it for dinner?  I am guessing it would stay hot for a couple of hours.  Any longer, wouldn't you have to reheat it?