Sign in to follow this  
Cattledog

joetissere on keg

It's too bad it doesn't fit on our Kegs. I have been thinking about attempting to fabricate something like this that would fit my Keg. However it won't be easy & would likely require tools and machinery to build that I don't own or have access to. I wonder if the person who built the Original "Kamado Mate" rotisseire would consider making a run of them if we had enough interest? Anyone here know how to contact him?

Anyone interested in this?

Glenn

DUPLICATE POST.....SORRY!

It's too bad it doesn't fit on our Kegs. I have been thinking about attempting to fabricate something like this that would fit my Keg. However it won't be easy & would likely require tools and machinery to build that I don't own or have access to. I wonder if the person who built the Original "Kamado Mate" rotisseire would consider making a run of them if we had enough interest? Anyone here know how to contact him?

Anyone interested in this?

Glenn

Joe Skrodzki built the original Kamado Mate and it was marketed by Gary Bertassi who owns the Griller's Hall of Flame in Indian Orchard, Mass. Both Gary and Joe have posted on this forum.  Kamado Joe bought their wedge patent and all the intellectual property for the product. Gary and Joe have a non-compete clause with Kamado Joe and they can no longer manufacture the product. The JOEtisserie is up for a VESTA award at the Home Patio & Barbecue Expo in New Orleans in a couple of weeks. If the product wins the award, Joe and Gary will accept it on behalf of the Kamado Joe Company.

Anyone who lives out in the Indian Orchard, Mass. should take the time to visit the Griller's Hall of Flame and meet Gary and Joe. Gary has a collection of over 125 antique grills of all kinds and has unopened bags of the original charcoal briquettes that were manufactured by Henry Ford.

post-3565-0-89844700-1456813755.jpg

post-3565-0-54171000-1456813843.jpg

post-3565-0-59866300-1456813861.jpg

I think a sheet metal fabricator could probably rig something up that would work. Most that I have known come up with some pretty good work arounds.

I wouldn't want to use galvanized sheet metal around anything I'm going to eat.

I think a sheet metal fabricator could probably rig something up that would work. Most that I have known come up with some pretty good work arounds.

I know a couple guys who have tried fabricating their own kamado rotisseries and both finally gave up. I have seen on guy make as rotisserie on his Big Green Egg. He actually drilled holes in the ceramic base. It turned into a total cluster_ _ _ _! The spit rod with the food ended up too close to the fire pit.

Joe and Gary had the Kamado Mate fabricated by hand one at a time which was very time consuming. The sold them for $400.00 and Gary told me that considering the time involved in process, they were basically a break even proposition.

They work with about any type metals not just galvanized.

I was out at a meeting last week near the grillers hof, first day of the meeting told my buddies i was going there. When the meeting ended i forgot and headed straight home

I don't know why it won't fit. Seems like the diameter wouldn't be the issue. What I do know is bbqs dot com in Ontario sells joes, eggs, kegs, and joetisseries and they state it will work with the egg and Joe and will not work with the keg. If I were to make a wild guess, I might speculate that the hinge on the keg appears to be slightly farther removed from the rear of the lid than the average ceramic, that the front of the dome would hit the front of the joetisserie while the tapered back side may not be completely sealed.

And please note, that is a wild guess. Not an informed opinion at all. Maybe somebody could give those guys in Ontario a call. They are not open on Sunday's I believe.

I have no clue if you could do a mod to make it fit. Maybe add a thick gasket. If somebody wants to give it a shot please let me know the results.

I picked one up for my Vision grill and it seems to fit the Keg fine. The top seal seems to seat well, the lower surface does not have a seal because the rope style of the keg slips into the bottom of the Joetissere. I would think that if you put a felt seal material on the lower part of the keg and reinstall the rope seal whenever you use the joetiserrie it would seal up for the most part. 

I'm cooking a turkey on the vision today put will do a cook on the Keg with it and see how it goes. 

IMG_2301 (Large).JPG

IMG_2302 (Large).JPG

IMG_2306 (Large).JPG

IMG_2303 (Large).JPG

IMG_2304 (Large).JPG

IMG_2305 (Large).JPG

Edited by 3547fl