Sign in to follow this  
Marshall Lucky

Steamed Mussels & Roasted Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce

With a rainy stormy evening in my neck of the woods in Carolina (South, not North), I figured I'd try some of that Indoor and Non-Grill Cooking stuff for my supper.  Yyyyyeees, Sir, it was time to take on something I've never ever done before - that's right, Friends, - Hollandaise Sauce. 

I didn't know squat about how to make up some of that Hollandaise Sauce.  So, I started surfing the world wide wave of the internet to learn all I could.  And, there is plenty of sites out there to help the novice home cook like me.  I finally settled on this basic recipe that uses a blender rather than the double boiler technique http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_blender_hollandaise_sauce/

The trick, I learned from my research, was to get the right temp of the butter when adding it to the egg yolks.  You didn't want to curdle the egg yolks with too hot of a butter, but at the same time you needed enough heat to cook the yolks and thicken up the sauce into an airy smooth and satiny finish.  I learned I needed to get the butter right to the point before it was going to boil, or I'd risk the yolks and butter separating when blending together.

I hit my marks.  My Hollandaise Sauce had a perfect blend of flavors between the egg yolks, lemon juice, chipotle pepper powder, and butter.  The lemon juice and chipotle pepper merged together to give a tongue tingling sensation of tangy smoky heat goodness.  I skipped adding salt since I was using salted butter.

The canvas for my sauce was Steamed Mussels and Roasted Asparagus.  I poured the Hollandaise over the asparagus and reserved a small glass dish of the sauce to dip the mussels in. 

Yyyyyeees, Sir, a mighty fine meal indeed!

post-10290-0-01116700-1456286394_thumb.j

While, hhhhheeeck, I might just get brave and try Bernaise Sauce with a steak next.  Reminds me of that character Chef from Apocalypse Now who just wanted to be a Saucier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMQx5WwVg2g

(warning: that link has some racy and salty language)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By David Scubadiver
      I purchased my grill in December and finally got around to using it Sunday afternoon.  I have been cooking sous vide and using a cast iron pan lately, but the smoke has been terrible. 

For or my first time grilling,  I decided on baked potatoes, steaks and asparagus. Started the fire with a twisted paper towel wetted with vegetable oil. 

The fire got hotter than intended, and stayed hotter than intended.  I started with the potatoes and let them cook for nearly an hour above the heat deflector. Then I added the raw steaks, and eventually the asparagus that were prepared with some oil and seasoning.

I was prepared for disaster but everything came out delicious. I forgot to open up the vents for the sear, but as I said, the grill was hot. 

• By PeteHr
      Well it seems like spring has finally arrived in the UK ! 

My visit to the local weekly market provided me with 2 of me absolute favourite things - Monkish tails and English Asparagus (the Asparagus season here is very short, but the Asparagus is superb....)

So the Monkfish got chunked and marinated for a couple of hours in a simple combination of EVO, Lemon juice, fresh Oregano and Parsley, and some salt and pepper. The Asparagus was steamed in lightly salted water for about 3 minutes then refreshed in cold water. Then dressed with EVO. The monkish got skewered and then on to the Monolith:

Cooked over direct (but not too fierce heat), brushing with the remaining marinade until nicely cooked and the Asparagus had picked up a little charring:

Using the type of wide skewers that sit on racks prevent any chance of the fish sticking to the grill and possibly breaking up and is my preferred method of cooking this type of fish.

Served with a fresh mixed salad and some fries.

It was absolutely fantastic. If you are fortunate enough to have superb fresh ingredients like these you really don't have mess with them much !!!
    • By DerHusker
      It was a hot one today in Low Cal with the temperature reaching 104 in the shade on my patio. Not my favorite weather to be grilling but I had thawed out this beautiful 2.5” ribeye I had in my freezer so I just had to cook it.

Rubbed it down with some Primo Chicago Stockyard rub

and wrapped it up for a rest.

While it was resting I prepped my Corn and asparagus.

Once my kamado was up to 225 I put on the ribeye

As I waited for it to reach an IT of 113 degrees I added the corn and asparagus.

After 4 minutes I took the asparagus out and placed it on for some direct grilling.

After approximately 6 minutes and a flip or 2 they were done.

I took them off and placed them back into the foil and took them inside. By this time the ribeye was at the 113 that I wanted.

I took it off and loosely covered with foil.

I opened up the vents for searing.

Once it was up to 650 I put the steak back on.

After 3 minutes I flipped it and heard the sizzle. Love this shot.

After another 3 minutes I took it off and covered it again and took it inside for a 10 minute rest. Here it is after the rest.

and now sliced up.

Here is everything plated up with a Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA.

Yum!

Thanks for looking.
    • By Tarheel
      Dinner tonight was smoked meat loaf, with smoked mac & cheese and prosciutto wrapped asparagus, all cooked on the kamado.

I started up the Vision, and added a few chunks of cherry wood:

and brought it up to temp:

While the Vision was coming to temperature I cooked the bacon for the mac & cheese, and sauteed the onions, green pepper, and garlic for the meat loaf:

As I boiled the macaroni, I put the meatloaf on the grill:

And finished the mac & cheese:

At this point it was still too early to put the mac & cheese on the Kamado, so I made the wrapped asparagus. Each slice of prosciutto was coated with a thin layer of cream cheese, and then I wrapped the asparagus with a diagonal orientation to increase the coverage of the prosciutto over the asparagus:

At this point I added the mac & cheese to the kamado:

And after 45 minutes took them off, cooked to perfection!

Then on went the asparagus:

and off after about 12 minutes...

And *** finally *** plated up a pretty good meal!

• By DerHusker
      Remember when I made the Petite Filet Mignon Oscar?
      http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/26970-petite-filet-mignon-oscar/

Well my wife doesn’t really like steak   and definitely doesn’t like anything from the sea.  So I made something special for her to enjoy instead of steak. Here are most of the ingredients for this cook.

I placed the boneless / skinless breast between two sheets of plastic wrap and pounded them with my 10” CI skillet to around 5/8” thick.

I then dredged them in some flour mixed with 1 tsp. ea. of cayenne and white pepper and 1/2 tsp. of turmeric.

I took that same 10” CI skillet and fried them up in some butter and oil. (It takes a shorter time because they are thinner)

In the meantime you’ll remember I was grilling up the asparagus.

Chicken is done.

Here it is plated up on a bed of asparagus, approximately ½ cup of Hollandaise sauce and a Modern Times Oneida Hoppy Sessionable Pale Ale.

And the ultra-close-up view.

As it was her dish I didn’t get a fork shot. I did taste it and it was also delicious.

That’s for looking.